Sign in to follow this  
TerTer

R4 Agromech or R4 Oveclocked with Plasma or Proton torps?

So I see a lot people running slightly different U-Boat approach.

Like R4 Agromech with Plasma, R4 Agromech with Proton and same with Plasma.

What's your idea on the best of those? :)

As when facing Oveclocked Uboat's looks like they defend better, but are more predictable how they need to clear stress,

Agromech ones look like they have better offence, and better offence without torps.

So what's your opinion on this?

Considering Proton torpedoes already have a natural modification for a focus result the TL rerolls from Agromech would be more valuable as blanks are rolled than overclocked.

As for Plasma since there are no native dice modification it is a real toss up as overclocked is cheaper and gives you your focus token back, the only thing is that if you don't use the focus (because all hits and never attacked or all blanks attacking and defending) then the focus token is gone and the stress remains.

I've tried both, but I'm leaning toward the Overclocked. The stress can be a pain, but so often those target locks have done nothing but roll more blanks for me. I've had considerably more success since switching to Overclocked, even with Protons. That's just my appalling lack of favour from RNGesus, though. Your mileage may vary.

Agromech is always good, no matter what. Overclocked tends to be better with Plasma Torps, since it has the same effect as Agromech there, only cheaper. It does however have defensive applications which is not to be discarded in the consideration.

You get the strongest attack with Proton Torps and R4 Agromech because you have both a reroll and a single focus modification.

R4 is strictly better offense but its a point more. if u want an initiative bid as a uboat player u will want to consider going with the cheaper overclocked.

as stated here R4 with proton torps is very strong, add if boba fett crew for the crit benefit and its super consistent.

u have to play a bit with both R4 and overcloacked to see for yourself which you prefer.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber

It's a matter of personal preference but the more expensive R4 Agromech is more frequently useful without penalty, hence the extra point of cost.

If you don't mind the use-tax of Overclocking during Combat, you can get a lot of mileage out of that one upgrade. You can spend Focus tokens defensively before shooting, and still be able to Deadeye your torpedo when it's time to shoot. Spend the token to fire, pick up another one to modify the attack, and with Plasmas you're getting a great amount of mitigation from a Focus + Chips.

And then of course you're stuck with one or more stress for the next round, preventing you from taking another Focus and Overclocking again any time soon.

R4 is more useful offensively because you wind up with a Target Lock, and while you still have a chance of rerolling blanks, that's really what Guidance Chips are for. Plus if you plug in yet another point for Proton Torps, your statistical roll (even without the TL) you're virtually guaranteed a full four hits/crits. Even knowing the rough numbers of the math I've been pleasantly surprised with how incredibly accurate R4+Chips+Protons have been. Plus, unlike Overclocking, if you spend the Focus and have it replaced, but don't need the replacement, the TL sticks around while the Focus vanishes, leaving a Stress behind.

Again, if you don't mind self-stress, Overclocking is a great way to go, especially for Plasmas. But that one great round of combat is going to really mess with your following rounds if you aren't careful.

Dropping to Over clock also buys you 4-Lom. 

That's why I dropped to him in my u-boat list. I personally run the overclocked with plasma since proton already fills that same sort of roll. 

Another excellent point, no pun intended. 4-L0M really helps with that whole "accuracy" thing.

My opinion:

Aggromech over overclocked (the 1 point is definitively worth it). With overclocked yyou end up stressed after shooting.

Plasma over proton when using aggromech. Except you have Boba Fett and need a crit.

But if you like k-turns sometimes protons let you keep the target locxk gained by the aggromech. So you can possibly red k-turn and shoot again.

If you habe multiple ships with ordnance, I would prefer a mix (highest PS skill should take the plasma torps of course).

To conclude, it is very dependent on your play style

I run with one of each. Throw the Overclocked up front to tank damage and launch a plasma first. Then the Agro/proton/4LOM carrier fires second. Next turn, the stressed Overclocked one turns into a blocker. Its way better to be super stressed than to be dead.

Edited by NervousSam