Sign in to follow this  
JsBingley

Is the Arkham Horror LCG the end of LotR LCG?

I've just watched Covenant's demo vid on Arkham Horror and it seems like it plays much more differently to LoTR. It has strong RPG and boardgame elements. Can't say I am a big fun of the chaos bag mechanic (simulates dice rolls?). As I suspected it doesn't seem like a replacement to LoTR.

Yep, looks like the bag is part of it. It's "the chaos bag" and has some game-specific logo on it. Not that these are necessarily expensive to make, but it's a nice touch if it's in the box, as it seems.

Yep, looks like the bag is part of it. It's "the chaos bag" and has some game-specific logo on it. Not that these are necessarily expensive to make, but it's a nice touch if it's in the box, as it seems.

Why do all these games come back to dicemasters around here? ;)  The collectable dice game has no bag but the LCG has? All confused here.

No wait I'm good.

Hope the bag is descent quality. DM also had bags, but they weren't exactly top quality.

Yeah, the stock bags in DM are paper (baby barfbags with different print, really), but they sell some rather nice ones separately. AHLCG looks like it's getting a decent, large FFS bag out of the box.

Well, no, the mat obviously isn't. But a bag isn't expensive. Nobody said the mat was included :)

But there is a blind token-picking mechanic involving a bag, so it's not a stretch to think they might include the bag. Which is a cheap item to produce, really.

Looks like they may hit their October target then.

So in time for Halloween? That would be nice. Altough I doubt FFG concerns itself with that sort of thing, they didn't release that zombie rpg before Halloween either.

On a side note, my LGS has MOM 2nd edition in already. That was quick.

I doubt its the end now.

Arkham replaces Cthulhu

L5R replaces Conquest which replaced Invasion

So unless you count Destiny, they are still at six LCGs.

I honestly doubt that L5R replaces Conquest. Conquest is just to new to be replaced this early.

If L5R replaces an LCG (which is a big if in my opinion) it would most likely be Star Wars. Star Wars LCG isn´t selling that good/isn´t very popular and they have Destiny they could hope Star Wars fans would adapt to.

I'm also of the opinion that, while I don't necessarily think Arkham Horror kills LOTR, I do think LOTR can't keep going forever. I love the game and would carry on buying for ages, but the current and upcoming cycles already represent quite a departure from the core license and there's presumably only so much content the game still needs or can accommodate.

The heartening part of this though is that, unlike the competitive LCGs which are only really playable inside a vibrant competition scene, this game will be just as playable after new releases end. That said, I would like to see the fellowship events and promos continue for a while.

I'm also of the opinion that, while I don't necessarily think Arkham Horror kills LOTR, I do think LOTR can't keep going forever. I love the game and would carry on buying for ages, but the current and upcoming cycles already represent quite a departure from the core license and there's presumably only so much content the game still needs or can accommodate.

The heartening part of this though is that, unlike the competitive LCGs which are only really playable inside a vibrant competition scene, this game will be just as playable after new releases end. That said, I would like to see the fellowship events and promos continue for a while.

Srba makes some very good points...that I'd like to make counterpoints to :D

1)  I am not enough of a ME lore expert to suggest actual names, but I would imagine that there are still places within the "standard" parts of the map that we haven't fully explored yet.  In addition, I think there are lots of places on the edge of the map (such as in the current and upcoming cycles) that offer possibilities for lots of future exploration.  While I think running out of locations/quest ideas is a possibility I don't think that we are quite there yet (as an aside I have really enjoyed the stuff that is a little bit less traditional in location and love how it ties into the lore).  

2)  Compared to the other LCGs, LOTR designers have a much slow pace of player card production due to a large chunk of each pack being encounter cards.  This means that they probably have a lot of design room left on the player cards to explore that leaves the game long term viable from the perspective of having to come u with new player cards.

3)  FFG has demonstrated that it will keep successful franchises going for a LONG time (GoT 1st ed) if they are making money and we have been consistently told that LOTR is on of the better sellers.

4)  Just supposition on my part, but I think that AH LCG is probably a response to how well LOTR is doing and a desire to move further into that market (not to mention the opportunity to capitalize on lessons learned from LOTR...esp with two of its designers at the helm!).

5)  Recent interviews with the designers all seem to point toward a fair bit of unannounced content already in development and a positive outlook...though obviously they are FFG employees and can't go out and say  "sorry folks...games done!" in an interview.

6)  I DON"T WANT IT TO BE DONE!!!  ...though you are right we have been blessed with lots of content and can continue to play long after it is not being produced.

Finally, as an aside, good job OP of this thread...you totally called it!!

Yes, AHLCG is probably at least partly a result of the popularity of LotRLCG. They have more control over an Arkham Horror game, although not full access to whatever they want from the extended Cthulhu mythos. I wouldn't be surprised if they also make a Terrinoth LCG once LotR ends.

After pathfinder, Legendary Encounters and sentinels of the multiverse this will be another fun and interesting alternative / break from lotr lcg for me. Like all other co-op card games out there i don't expect it to come even close to lotr lcg tho.

P.S. sry for my english

Related to the future of LOTR (which, as stated above, I think is bright) ....So I was looking at the credits for the Grey Havens and Matt is the Designer for that box. He was also recently on COTR.  So it seems he has been still working on LOTR during the creation of AH.  Does anyone know if he is going to maintain involvement in both games going forward?  Maybe someone got to talk to him at Gen Con?  

I guess I could view it as a win either way (because AH looks really cool and I'm planning on jumping into it on the ground floor), but his work on the last few cycles of LOTR has been really awesome and I'd be bummed to see him leave entirely.  

Oh and Caleb rocks too ;) ... I think it is mostly that LOTR is in such a great place currently that I hate to see any disruption to a team doing such great work!

I doubt its the end now.

Arkham replaces Cthulhu

L5R replaces Conquest which replaced Invasion

So unless you count Destiny, they are still at six LCGs.

I honestly doubt that L5R replaces Conquest. Conquest is just to new to be replaced this early.

If L5R replaces an LCG (which is a big if in my opinion) it would most likely be Star Wars. Star Wars LCG isn´t selling that good/isn´t very popular and they have Destiny they could hope Star Wars fans would adapt to.

Umm, haven't you heard? FFG and GW are likely parting ways.

Related to the future of LOTR (which, as stated above, I think is bright) ....So I was looking at the credits for the Grey Havens and Matt is the Designer for that box. He was also recently on COTR.  So it seems he has been still working on LOTR during the creation of AH.  Does anyone know if he is going to maintain involvement in both games going forward?  Maybe someone got to talk to him at Gen Con?  

I guess I could view it as a win either way (because AH looks really cool and I'm planning on jumping into it on the ground floor), but his work on the last few cycles of LOTR has been really awesome and I'd be bummed to see him leave entirely.  

Oh and Caleb rocks too ;) ... I think it is mostly that LOTR is in such a great place currently that I hate to see any disruption to a team doing such great work!

We don't know is the short answer...but in the COTR Ep 100 Interview two or so months ago, there was no sign that either Matt or Caleb were stopping working on LoTR. In fact the whole 3 hour interview was extremely positive (they come across as really good guys), and bearing in mind they work 18 months or so in advance they could be at 2 least cycles ahead internally to what we are seeing.

Looking at the Gameslore (UK online shop) list of top sellers, three LoTR LCG packs are currently in the top 15 list of top selling games. Plus if you look at BGG new people are rocking up all the time. The game will of course end one day, but there's absolutely no sign of that at the moment. And even if it does, there is a ton of content anyway.