Sign in to follow this  
JsBingley

Is the Arkham Horror LCG the end of LotR LCG?

This is similar to the AGOT reset

How? You'll need to explain that one :)

This is a new game, not a reboot of an existing game. The old CoC LCG was a duel game where you actually played the mythos factions too. This is more of a different take on the investigator versus NPC style of nearly every other Arkham game.

I explained my point in the sentance. It is similar to the reset in that they can use experience from the past to make a better game. I was mainly referring to their experience with LOTR as that is also a coop lcg, but they also had the other cthulu game. Yes, there are differences, but that does not invalidate my point.

But they do that all the time anyway - every LCG is an improvement in that respect ;)

The AGoT reset was a reset of the actual game, with a new release of a very similar game in the same setting. I think that's a completely different thing than a new and improved LCG formula.

This is similar to the AGOT reset

How? You'll need to explain that one :)

This is a new game, not a reboot of an existing game. The old CoC LCG was a duel game where you actually played the mythos factions too. This is more of a different take on the investigator versus NPC style of nearly every other Arkham game.

In the rest of his post, he mentions that they can learn from their past experiences gained fro GoT 1.0 to make 2.0 better.  It's implied that they have hopefully learned some lessons about a co-op game from LotR and can apply them to AH as they develop and expand it.  

After reading the article, I actually get the feeling this game is taking several things from different games, not just LotR.  With the way you gain experience to purchase cards to modify your deck as you go through the campaign it reminds me of Descent.  

After reading the article, I actually get the feeling this game is taking several things from different games, not just LotR.  With the way you gain experience to purchase cards to modify your deck as you go through the campaign it reminds me of Descent. 

Yeah, their games are really starting to blend now :)

Investigator + gear is both in the board game variant and Warhammer Quest, I guess. So are the large character cards. Campaign from WQ and LotR sagas. Upgrades like Pathfinder. If two cores give a full playset the allowed card counts might also be different than most of the other LCGs (or there will be annoying extra cards).

I hope we get some video demos from GenCon.

Yeah, their games are really starting to blend now :)

Investigator + gear is both in the board game variant and Warhammer Quest, I guess. So are the large character cards. Campaign from WQ and LotR sagas. Upgrades like Pathfinder. If two cores give a full playset the allowed card counts might also be different than most of the other LCGs (or there will be annoying extra cards).

I hope we get some video demos from GenCon.

And it shares graphic design elements with eldritch horror:

ahc01_card_roland-banks.png

eh06-wendy-adams.jpg

Oh yeah, Wendy Adams is back in this game to!

I explained my point in the sentance. It is similar to the reset in that they can use experience from the past to make a better game. I was mainly referring to their experience with LOTR as that is also a coop lcg, but they also had the other cthulu game. Yes, there are differences, but that does not invalidate my point.

This plays COMPLETLY differently than the old Cthulhu LCG.

Oh yeah, Wendy Adams is back in this game to!

How do you know?

ahc01_card_wendy-adams.png

From the products page. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/

click on the read more tab.

I would have used the above picture sooner, but it wouldn't load earlier.

ahc01-abandoned-and-alone.png

Dawwww, Goddamit Cthulhu! Quit scaring the poor girl! It's ok sweetie,I'll make the monsters go away...

Edited by Robin Graves

Lotr LCG is coming to the end :) But still, there is soooo much stuff we have.

"A Card Game by Nate French and Matthew Newman"

Congrats Feonix!

Although I think Calmien is just kidding, I'll throw in the obligatory "not necessarily, the two can co-exist, LOTR has lots of life" boilerplate.  I had not realized, however, that Matt was one of the designers.  Of course, he could be in on the base but not  many of the on going cycles.  Or ( and I think this is more likely) the Sagas might be finished up in development and LOTR no longer gets two devs. 

Lots of excitement ahead!

Not at all excited about the new LCG but I suspect that Lord of the Rings the Card game will continue to be made as long as it continues to perform on sales.  Unfortunately since we don't really have any economic figures the only thing we have to go on is what FFG has said in the past about the game which really isn't a whole lot.  FFG has mentioned that Netrunner is their most popular and best selling LCG, Warhammer Conquest has had the biggest and most successful release.

There is something to say about the commitments FFG has, these licensed franchises like Lord of the Rings come with contractual obligations.  We don't know what those are either but I will predict the following.

1. Arkham Horror LCG will sell very well.  Arkham Horror the Board Game is one of their longest running and successful lines (this we not with 100% certainty) and there is a pretty big built in fan base.  The fact that they are making an LCG should come to the surprise of no one, it's really a wonder that it took them so long to make one.

2. Lord of the Rings is already 5 years old, that is a nice run and really the only unfinished business it has at this point is the next cycle and the completion of the Saga expansions.  I think it's safe to say they will wrap up both before they discontinue the line which would give the game a sense of completion.

3.  FFG is not stupid, if a game makes money they will continue to produce, if it doesn't they will kill it.

4.  FFG has a reputation for continuing support via reprints well after a game is discontinued.   Some good examples are Warhammer RPG and Game of Thrones 1st edition (still in print today despite 2nd edition release).

Suffice to say Lord of the Ring card game fans have nothing to complain or worry about.  It has been a successful run of a great game, the fact that it will be discontinued at some point is enevitable and there is currently enough content released today to play the game indefinitely.  We know that there will be some more content coming out in the form of at least one adventure cycle and the completion of the Saga expansions, I think this we can count on.

All and all the release of Arkham LCG probably marks a point at least where some evaluation will take place of LoTR but we can always hope that the game is still popular and profitable enough for FFG to continue the line.

For those playing competitively (event stuff), typically long after a game ceases to be officially supported, events continue as long as there are people willing to show up for them so the reality is that Lord of the Rings the Card Game will live on as long as their is a fan base sufficient to support it.

1. Arkham Horror LCG will sell very well.  Arkham Horror the Board Game is one of their longest running and successful lines (this we not with 100% certainty) and there is a pretty big built in fan base.  The fact that they are making an LCG should come to the surprise of no one, it's really a wonder that it took them so long to make one.

I guess Call of Cthulhu LCG is not a game of Lovecraftian horror...?

712583cd8bf4d55662d98eb8a3184bbe67e68335

Also it was FFG´s first LCG afaik

Edited by Nerdmeister

It's not that it doesn't count but Arkham Horror is a beloved ffg franchise, it has a built in audiance and presumably functions in a manner remenescent of the board game. It will sell like tickets to a wet t-shirt contest.

It's worth pointing out too that CoC didn't sell very well because it wasn't a good game, a franchise can't hold up a bad game. It's safe to say FFG has learned a thing or two about making card games since.