Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JsBingley

Is the Arkham Horror LCG the end of LotR LCG?

372 posts in this topic

I really hope this is true. I've been playing AGoT 2 but am getting sick of seeing Lannister everywhere. And they're getting the next deluxe box. So I'm probably out of that fiasco.

A Game of Lannister

Supertoe likes this

I know this will never happen, but I would love to see a co-op LCG for some of my favorite games like Final Fantasy or D&D. Now that I think about it, Dark Souls would be really cool. It's co-op but also has the option for PVP with other players invading your world, i.e. your current game haha. I doubt any of this would happen, but a man can dream. :3

Check out the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. 

I really hope this is true. I've been playing AGoT 2 but am getting sick of seeing Lannister everywhere. And they're getting the next deluxe box. So I'm probably out of that fiasco.

After playing 1.0 from the beginning and then seeing my collection become essentially worthless overnight was enough for me. I was smart enough not to buy in to 2.0. The meta for 1.0 was a complete mess/joke at multiple points in the game's lifecycle. 

For competitive card games, given time one's collection will always become essentially worthless. If not because of a restructuring or end to the game, then due to obsolescence from newer cards being released.

Co-op games can surely lose value as well, but their player communities don't depend nearly as much on a consistent schedule of sponsored events.

Edited by JohnGarrison1870
Supertoe likes this

I don't see any particular reason why FFG would end the Lord of the Rings game when it still seems popular and profitable.  They can obviously support multiple competitive LCGs, why can't they support multiple co-op LCGs as well?

Personally, if Arkham Horror is real then I will buy into it, and I'm currently looking to pick up a LotR collection as well.  No conflict.

Quite a bit of the art cribs directly from the movie visuals, especially recently. But that's to be expected when dealing with a wide variety of freelance artists, most of whom will be more familiar with the films.

I don't know about The Hobbit, but the lead visualists for the LOTR movies were Alan Lee and John Howe - and both of them defined the modern visual interpretation of the book way before the movies were even conceived (even if I'm partial to Angus McBride too...)

cornishlee likes this

I don't understand why L5R should be the game that replaces CoC. A co-op game based on the same background would be more logical.

BTW, as someone who loves Lovecraft, I was happy when on BGG they published some home made rules to play CoC solo: they are not perfect, but are still a nice way to have your Lovecraftian fix when other players aren't around. I do really hope that this is not a hoax.

Games don't generally "replace" other games, other than Thrones1->Thrones2.  Every game has a beginning and an end, but are not necessarily related to each other.

Each LCG has a theme, is either co-op or competitive, and has its own mechanics.  Which ones have to be similar to be a "replacement"?  Why is a different similarity less of a replacement?  It's because the concept is flawed I think to begin with.  The only real relationship is that there is a cap on how many games total FFG can manage, and even this is an unknown number and co-op and competitive games probably present different "loads" on that capacity.

In any event, I am looking forward to Arkham Horror if it is real, and also to seeing their take on L5R.  In other rumors...  I'm even more excited at the idea that AEG might reboot an ECG version of 7th Sea than I am for L5R.  I do love the L5R theme, but I'm not a fan of the winner-take-all handling of battles and it seems core enough that I don't expect FFG to change this aspect as it might alienate too many old fans.

Getting back to LotR, I'm scouting around to pick up a used collection if I can find a good deal on one.  I have no fear of it ending soon and even if it DID, there's tons of content to go through.

alexbobspoons likes this

Quite a bit of the art cribs directly from the movie visuals, especially recently. But that's to be expected when dealing with a wide variety of freelance artists, most of whom will be more familiar with the films.

I don't know about The Hobbit, but the lead visualists for the LOTR movies were Alan Lee and John Howe - and both of them defined the modern visual interpretation of the book way before the movies were even conceived (even if I'm partial to Angus McBride too...)

Neither of them drew many Gondorian soldier in plate armour.

To get back to the original point, according to Caleb on CoTR Ep 100 they were already developing 2 cycles ahead when The Grey Havens was announced.

I have to say that the vibe on Ep 100 (quite long but worth a listen) was extremely positive and you got the impression that both Caleb and Matt are still working on LoTR LCG - which probably means that enough cycles have been locked in until at least 2018.

Obviously the game could still be cancelled, but that could happen at any time anyway.

To get back to the original point, according to Caleb on CoTR Ep 100 they were already developing 2 cycles ahead when The Grey Havens was announced.

I have to say that the vibe on Ep 100 (quite long but worth a listen) was extremely positive and you got the impression that both Caleb and Matt are still working on LoTR LCG - which probably means that enough cycles have been locked in until at least 2018.

Obviously the game could still be cancelled, but that could happen at any time anyway.

Meaning that with the upcoming release of L5R next year, FFG is taking all my disposable monthly income for several more years.

Yeah, Caleb said they're past 100 quests now not including NM. That's more than enough for another cycle, possibly two. I can't remember the exact maths off the top of my head, but we're around 78-80 at the moment.

Yeah, Caleb said they're past 100 quests now not including NM. That's more than enough for another cycle, possibly two. I can't remember the exact maths off the top of my head, but we're around 78-80 at the moment.

9 per cycle x 5 = 45

7 POD

Sagas = 18

Current Cycle = 5

= 75 currently released

Plus the 6 remaining Saga, announced POD Annuminas, and the conclusion of the Dream-chaser = 11

So 86 quests we know about. That leaves room for 2 more cycles, plus the 2 POD's per year. And that's just current development, according to Caleb.

9 per cycle x 5 = 45
7 POD
Sagas = 18
Current Cycle = 5
= 75 currently released
Plus the 6 remaining Saga, announced POD Annuminas, and the conclusion of the Dream-chaser = 11
So 86 quests we know about. That leaves room for 2 more cycles, plus the 2 POD's per year. And that's just current development, according to Caleb.

I've listened to that interview, but rally didn't put together that he was referring to unpublished stuff in development...what great news that we've got so much LOTR goodness coming our way!

I'd be shocked if they run out of ideas before the licence is up for renewal. FFG are definitely willing to renew, so it's down to what the owners think. We know it's near the end when they start churning out small standalone scenarios and nothing else. By that point there's still a huge game with more content than most non-RPG products, and a company willing to do reprints.

Supertoe likes this

To be fair, I actually think the dwarves thing happened because they were suddenly granted the Hobbit franchise after they had planned Khazad-Dum and they were stuck with a lot of dwarves. I hope so at least.

I the case of the Lannister fiasco, Nate publicly stated that the Lions were his favorite house and then made it so you could play Lions - or you could lose. Sad. I also believe that they knew that Lannister was going to be the second deluxe so they should have accounted for that.

I haven't read the books or watched the shows, but in a 1v1 game to have such an early imbalance strikes of shoddiness.

Got a source for that?

To be fair, I actually think the dwarves thing happened because they were suddenly granted the Hobbit franchise after they had planned Khazad-Dum and they were stuck with a lot of dwarves. I hope so at least.

I the case of the Lannister fiasco, Nate publicly stated that the Lions were his favorite house and then made it so you could play Lions - or you could lose. Sad. I also believe that they knew that Lannister was going to be the second deluxe so they should have accounted for that.

I haven't read the books or watched the shows, but in a 1v1 game to have such an early imbalance strikes of shoddiness.

Got a source for that?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/4/the-only-game-that-matters/

Do you have a favorite faction?

Right now, I think because of the novelty factor, the Night’s Watch and House Tyrell are my two favorite factions. I may eventually return to my Lannisters, but I can’t resist the flashy newcomers.

JsBingley likes this

There isn't a Lannister problem, there's a perception problem. Martell, Stark, and Baratheon all have good matches against Lannister and two of them are even good against other factions. Is Lannister a little ahead of the curve? Yes. Insurmountably so? No.