Sign in to follow this  
JsBingley

Is the Arkham Horror LCG the end of LotR LCG?

I'm necro'ing this thread due to the news FFG just announced about their lack of renewal regarding ALL of the their Games Workshop properties.  Bye Conquest.   I hardly knew you.      That aside, I've heard that this hasn't been very surprising since they haven't announced anything new for Conquest in awhile.  Which makes me wonder about LotR.   We all KNOW they have plenty of material to work with and continue to build out on.  Plenty to explore and no end to the stories they can create.   But just because there is plenty available doesn't necessarily translate into an agreeable new-terms-of-licensing whenever their current contract is up.   I've remember some of you mentioning it was due up relatively soon.  Do we know exactly when?  Do we have an promised products that will take us beyond that date?

As usual ... Well, we will have this discussion next year and the next after the next and the next after the next after the next and the next after the next after the next after the next etc ...

As usual ... Well, we will have this discussion next year and the next after the next and the next after the next after the next and the next after the next after the next after the next etc ...

I feel it is a legitimate discussion though.  I'm not too keen on sifting through the last 14 pages, but I do remember someone posting about FFG's license for LotR needing to be renewed in the relative future.  Does anyone know that actual date?

As far as i know, the relationship between FFG and the owner of LOTR license is good ... We can't said the same between FFG and GW.

We have the 7th cycle announced. We have event announced. We have Nightmare announced etc ...

I think that we don't have to worry about LOTR LCG.

As far as i know, the relationship between FFG and the owner of LOTR license is good ... We can't said the same between FFG and GW.

We have the 7th cycle announced. We have event announced. We have Nightmare announced etc ...

I think that we don't have to worry about LOTR LCG.

Since i don't follow the other games, I've no idea how the relationship is with GW.  But even though I do follow LotR, I've still no clue how their relation ship is with the owner of the LotR license.  So I guess I'll take your word that it is solid.  I still plan to buy everything they make regardless of whenever they decide to stop this game, but I was just curious if there was going to be a slightly abrupt end at some point like there seems to be with Conquest.

That thread started in May and ended in July.  There have been other unsubstantiated rumors since then.  Since the  Asmodee merger things have changed and not for the better imo.  There seems to be much more attention paid to the bottom line and less on the gaming experience as a whole.

I love the game and will continue to buy everything for as long as I can.  I don't really have the time to stay on top of the AGoT metagame for example and don't enjoy OCTGN.  I will probably drop out of that as I can't keep up.  But in LOTR I can play the games at my own pace and "I am my own metagame".  Nothing else like it.

We'll see about Arkham.  I've ordered two core and hope it's good, but I'm starting to get that "too fiddly" feeling from the previews.  LOTR is so clean.

(Sorry that is just a bunch of disjointed thoughts.)

Since the  Asmodee merger things have changed and not for the better imo.  There seems to be much more attention paid to the bottom line and less on the gaming experience as a whole.

We'll see about Arkham.  I've ordered two core and hope it's good, but I'm starting to get that "too fiddly" feeling from the previews.

Do you think so? I don't see that with regard to LoTR LCG - if anything the game just gets better and better. Just my opinion of course.

Arkham Horror ACG could either be fiddly as you say or genuinely revolutionary - the first ever card game that simulates a RPG. I for one will be very interested to see the player reviews when the game comes out.

Since the  Asmodee merger things have changed and not for the better imo.  There seems to be much more attention paid to the bottom line and less on the gaming experience as a whole.

We'll see about Arkham.  I've ordered two core and hope it's good, but I'm starting to get that "too fiddly" feeling from the previews.

Arkham Horror ACG could either be fiddly as you say or genuinely revolutionary - the first ever card game that simulates a RPG. I for one will be very interested to see the player reviews when the game comes out.

*bzzzzzt!*

Wrong. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

My thoughts on licensing:

1) It is very likely that whatever license FFG has to use Tolkien's material has some sort of expiration or renewal date, and thus could theoretically expire before FFG chooses to end the game for other reasons.

2) It is very likely that ANA will never reveal those dates or any other information from that license to us, mere fans of the game.

3) It is very likely that the licensing entity (i.e. not the Tolkien Estate) has a vested interest in continued revenue from FFG/ANA and won't pull the plug on licensing unless they can somehow make more money elsewhere.  Given their promiscuous licensing, it seems unlikely to me that FFG's license is blocking more profitable revenue streams.  However, having an incentive to come to a mutual beneficial licensing deal with FFG does not mean they will accomplish it, as both entities may overestimate their worth to the other party.

4) It is very likely that ANA will not continue the game at a loss, and this will certainly be a factor in the terms of any rights renewal.

Someday the game will end.  I'm skeptical that it will end because an otherwise-profitable game could no longer get the necessary rights, but I suppose it's possible that if its popularity/profitability is declining, it won't make financial sense for ANA to renew the rights if/when the current contract expires.  I'm not going to worry about it, since:

1) I have no idea when the current contract expires

2) I have no idea how the current/future contract affects profitability.

3) I have no fear that Christopher Tolkien with somehow acquire Middle Earth Enterprises and quash games like these.

*bzzzzzt!*

Sorry but gotta disagree with you there. I need to be a bit careful because for all I know you really like that game, whereas I loathed it :)!

I have to say though, that my experience of Pathfinder ACG was go to a location that was very similar to all of the others, flip a card thematically unrelated to that location (sea monster in a tower gateway anyone?) and roll a dice to either fight or acquire some sort of item. Then repeat. Repeat again. And again. Play another Pathfinder game that was exactly the same. Then again. And again. Ad infinitum!

The game has its charm, and it's much simpler than LoTR LCG, but it made my skin crawl! I also don't think it simulates the variety of an RPG at all!

Apologies if you really like it.

lotr lcg is my first card game. i must ask then: how many years is the age of a game normally? which has been the game with more years? you think lotr-lcg will have an age over the average of the other games in ffg? thanks for the replies

The Mirkwood Runner is starting up the Nightmare series again, The Hive Tyrant is re-running the Progression Series at producing new content at a pretty new clip, there's more new cards and expansions announcements than I can keep straight, and even us commoners speculating here on the boards can come up with 3 or 4 decent ideas for full cycles. This game is not going anywhere for a good long while.

Mndela - it depends. Most CCG's last under a year, because Wizards has a monopoly on that market with MTG. As for LCG's, they seem to go strong for several years. A Game of Thrones was one of the better selling ones, but it suffered from problems with gameplay and balance. As a co-op, LOTR doesn't have those issues, and despite a few growing pains, the power curve is trending fairly in lockstep between player and encounter cards. I definitely think that our nerdy little piles of cardboard will outlast most other games you can think of. Even games like Catan and Dominion, staples of game night everywhere, seem to be winding down in terms of new spin-offs and editions.

GW may wish to publish their own card game or board game, so they end the cooperative relationship with FFG.

I think The Lord of the Rings owner wouldn't wish to publish card game or board game, Lovecraft too, so the liscence will continue

LotR LCG is an anomaly at this point. I don't see that many games which are still good overall after five years of churning out (almost) monthly expansions. Sometimes they should have stopped at the first set! Dominion has lasted as long as it has due to careful consideration before an expansion was made, and they even thought they had stopped at some point. But now there's a new box with glorious, tangible extra components, and I haven't seen any overwhelmingly negative responses. But I'm behind on that game too, because just a few sets include a wealth of fun.

As long as FFG keep their promise of reprinting while there is interest, they could end the game after the release of all announced products for this game. There are many who have some catching up to do, so it will probably sell well for years to come if there's stock.

*bzzzzzt!*

Sorry but gotta disagree with you there. I need to be a bit careful because for all I know you really like that game, whereas I loathed it :)!

I have to say though, that my experience of Pathfinder ACG was go to a location that was very similar to all of the others, flip a card thematically unrelated to that location (sea monster in a tower gateway anyone?) and roll a dice to either fight or acquire some sort of item. Then repeat. Repeat again. And again. Play another Pathfinder game that was exactly the same. Then again. And again. Ad infinitum!

The game has its charm, and it's much simpler than LoTR LCG, but it made my skin crawl! I also don't think it simulates the variety of an RPG at all!

Apologies if you really like it.

I have to agree.  PACG is 'okay'.  We're currently halfway into Wrath.  It's an okay deck builder, but I wouldn't say it simulates an RPG.  It might simulate Diablo?  But that's as far as I would give it.  There's no interesting effects.  Loot is REALLY hit or miss.  (You get a Paladin sword! ..with no Paladin in the party.)  But it's okay.

LotR LCG is an anomaly at this point. I don't see that many games which are still good overall after five years of churning out (almost) monthly expansions. Sometimes they should have stopped at the first set! Dominion has lasted as long as it has due to careful consideration before an expansion was made, and they even thought they had stopped at some point. But now there's a new box with glorious, tangible extra components, and I haven't seen any overwhelmingly negative responses. But I'm behind on that game too, because just a few sets include a wealth of fun.

As long as FFG keep their promise of reprinting while there is interest, they could end the game after the release of all announced products for this game. There are many who have some catching up to do, so it will probably sell well for years to come if there's stock.

... I think that's a real deal. I am a not-so-new player, I just finished the Against the Shadow cycle and I am playing now my first Saga (The Hobbit - God I wish I could have Beorn/Foe-Hammer/A Very Good Tale/Cram when I was exploding my nerves against Perir in Pelargir and Into Ithilien!). I don't own any GenCon nor Nightmare packs. And I do want to buy / play the 6 other saga expansions out there, and voice of isengards, and the lost realms, and the grey havens, and the sands of harrads. Even if they stopped there, I think I can transfer at least 1 000$ from my paychecks in the wallet of FFG in the following years. And I am pretty sure I am not alone in this!

The Lord of the Rings LCG will always have a slight edge over comparable games because of the IP. Even if there was a co-op LCG that was slightly better than LotR, I would still play LotR, since I'm a Tolkien nerd. There are many people who play that would not play another game and only play this one because of the IP.

Short answer: Middle-Earth > all