Sign in to follow this  
emmjay

2 day events, really guys?

Vancouver Regionals are a 2 day event. Not that I'd ever make the top cut but here is my point exactly.  Vancouver is bloody huge.  You mean to tell me there is only one event in the whole city?  I wanted to go but I guess I'll skip it.  $40 is a lot of money for me to basically play four games in a huge tournament setting with total strangers.  And maybe I do well and get to play a game on day two?  I can't afford that.  That's an extra night in a hotel room for a game I'll probably lose.  Not that losing would matter, it would just mean a shorter day of X-Wing.  Book one night or two?  Or none?  What makes the most sense from a real world perspective? 

So I guess since we can only be bothered to plan one single Regional for an entire province I'll just stay home and do the regular Saturday thing, which is work a split shift for 10 hours and get paid for only 7, eat, sleep, rinse, repeat. 

Have fun at Regionals folks!  Hope you don't crash your Mclaren F1s on the way there!  You diamond studded fools you!

Vancouver Regionals are a 2 day event. Not that I'd ever make the top cut but here is my point exactly.  Vancouver is bloody huge.  

Even on Population, Vancouver barely has half the Population of Calgary, and Calgary only has 1 Regional.

I don't know the arcane method that FFG uses to determine regional areas, but Vancouver having one might have something to do with its proximity to Washington, which has one or two...

::shrug::

I don't get it. Even when I have to travel long distances: I love 2-days events. If you lose, you can come the next day and watch (or play in a good atmosphere). When you reach the cup, you go hhome and think about the tactics for the next day (you now knownthe squads you will possibly encounter). It's a nice feeling to go home (or hotel) and still be in the tournament. I enjoy it either way

This might very well be the most absurd argument that has ever been had on this forum. Folks have seriously just complained about not only the scheduling but also the location, who their competitors would be, and the fact that they may lose. You can't afford to go to a two-day event? Sorry to hear that. Don't go.  It's too far away for your comfort? Sorry to hear that. Don't go. You don't want to travel just to lose? Sorry to hear that. Don't go. What in the name of all that is holy is the big deal? 

Two days for X-Wing makes complete and utter sense. You're not entitled to an event that perfectly fits in to your life. FFG does a fantastic job at promoting and growing the game, its community, and its events. Folks seriously need to get their expectations in check. The sense of entitlement is ridiculous.

Vancouver Regionals are a 2 day event. Not that I'd ever make the top cut but here is my point exactly. Vancouver is bloody huge.

Even on Population, Vancouver barely has half the Population of Calgary, and Calgary only has 1 Regional.

I don't know the arcane method that FFG uses to determine regional areas, but Vancouver having one might have something to do with its proximity to Washington, which has one or two...

The state of California has a slightly higher population than Canada and we only have 3 regionals. Two of our three neighboring states and our neighboring country have no regionals. Edited by WWHSD

Vancouver Regionals are a 2 day event. Not that I'd ever make the top cut but here is my point exactly. Vancouver is bloody huge.

Even on Population, Vancouver barely has half the Population of Calgary, and Calgary only has 1 Regional.

The state of California has a slightly higher population than Canada and we only have 3 regionals. Two of our three neighboring states and our neighboring country have no regionals.

Hell, Las Vegas has an Eiffel Tower, a Statue of Liberty, and David Copperfield but they don't have a regional.

Edited by WWHSD

Pffft!  Typical Darkcloak!  Why does he suggest totally reasonable things?  **** his eyes!  More Regional events?  Preposterous!  A game company making money from the tournament scene being expected to tailor their support to better suit their customers needs?  What is this?  A restaurant where you can order a veal parmigiana with chicken instead, and hold the side veggies, but extra potato and no sour creme just two extra pats of butter please?  Oh wait!  You can do that any day of the week to any poor kitchen across the country and if they say 'sorry sir but veal parm is veal only' you can complain and get that person fired?!

Holy.  I guess I had better just suck it up and work extra hard so I can have the honour of attending a Regional.  Did y'all want that veal parm with chicken to stay or to go?

And FFG has been increasing the number of Regionals. But slowly, as to maintain the actual Regional feel of a big event. 

Well that's good.  I mean, they can't be totally blind right?  The growing number of players and events means more work is needed, I'm not saying they ought to rush out and hand out Regional status to any old joint.  But the game is growing a lot and it will continue to do so.  Maybe there is room for a Nationals level?  If we can grow the number of Regionals then who knows?  I think this whole 'it's Regionals you must travel' idea is baloney.  For a competition with no money involved, this sort of high stakes attitude should really be reserved for the very top tiers of tourney play. 

This might very well be the most absurd argument that has ever been had on this forum. Folks have seriously just complained about not only the scheduling but also the location, who their competitors would be, and the fact that they may lose. You can't afford to go to a two-day event? Sorry to hear that. Don't go.  It's too far away for your comfort? Sorry to hear that. Don't go. You don't want to travel just to lose? Sorry to hear that. Don't go. What in the name of all that is holy is the big deal? 

Two days for X-Wing makes complete and utter sense. You're not entitled to an event that perfectly fits in to your life. FFG does a fantastic job at promoting and growing the game, its community, and its events. Folks seriously need to get their expectations in check. The sense of entitlement is ridiculous.

Did I complain about losing?  No, in a very practical way I looked at my chances of winning in an event and decided that I would in all probability, lose.  I even went so far as to say that losing didn't bother me, but in a very real way I see how silly it is to spend hundreds of dollars on attending an event which you will likely lose.  I can tell myself that I'm going for the fun of it, but again, looking at the cold hard facts of life here, is it feasible, or even at all responsible of me to go to an event like this, at that cost?  For the simple enjoyment of the process? 

And why am I not entitled to play in events that better suit my schedule and life?  Am I not supporting this company enough or something? 

Did I complain about losing?  No, in a very practical way I looked at my chances of winning in an event and decided that I would in all probability, lose.  I even went so far as to say that losing didn't bother me, but in a very real way I see how silly it is to spend hundreds of dollars on attending an event which you will likely lose.  I can tell myself that I'm going for the fun of it, but again, looking at the cold hard facts of life here, is it feasible, or even at all responsible of me to go to an event like this, at that cost?  For the simple enjoyment of the process? 

And why am I not entitled to play in events that better suit my schedule and life?  Am I not supporting this company enough or something? 

Isn't that why we do many things in life?

I genuinely don't know how to response to this.

There are a lot of people who's main gripe seems to be that we don't have as many regionals as store championships.

I think these people are missing the point.

I kinda wish it wasnt as clustered around the mid atlantic/mid west area tho. Florida should def have more than one regional.

Well then don't!  You try to make me sound like some kind of lunatic for not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on what is going to be an entirely casual event for a player of my caliber and then you don't know how to respond?

But two day events are totally infallible and anyone who can't make it should just forget about high level competition? 

Sounds like it's time for some more totally I'm Batman! crazy-talk from DC!

Why not host more events that are more spread out and allow for more formats of organization!  Why is Calgary the only place in Alberta making the cut?  What about Edmonton and Red Deer?  Here in BC, what about Kelowna, Victoria, more in Vancouver?  You're telling me you can't look at your area, province, state, country, whatever and list at least three more prime locations for a Regional event?  I know I can.

So what's the deal?  Why can't we have more events and more support?  Entitlement my ass.  I work hard to pay my bills.  If I have to organize my own tournaments to start some fun, guess what?  I do it!  Haha!

Crazy Darkcloak rant over!  You may now resume your regularly scheduled normal things.  I'm going to play some X-WIng today and it's gonna be freaking awesome.  Awesome!

A restaurant where you can order a veal parmigiana with chicken instead, and hold the side veggies, but extra potato and no sour creme just two extra pats of butter please?  Oh wait!  You can do that any day of the week to any poor kitchen across the country and if they say 'sorry sir but veal parm is veal only' you can complain and get that person fired?!

FYI, your food gets spit in... a lot

Well then don't!  You try to make me sound like some kind of lunatic for not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on what is going to be an entirely casual event for a player of my caliber and then you don't know how to respond?

But two day events are totally infallible and anyone who can't make it should just forget about high level competition? 

Why not host more events that are more spread out and allow for more formats of organization!  Why is Calgary the only place in Alberta making the cut?  What about Edmonton and Red Deer?  Here in BC, what about Kelowna, Victoria, more in Vancouver?  You're telling me you can't look at your area, province, state, country, whatever and list at least three more prime locations for a Regional event?  I know I can.

So what's the deal?  Why can't we have more events and more support?  Entitlement my ass.  I work hard to pay my bills.  If I have to organize my own tournaments to start some fun, guess what?  I do it!  Haha!

Crazy Darkcloak rant over!  You may now resume your regularly scheduled normal things.  I'm going to play some X-WIng today and it's gonna be freaking awesome.  Awesome!

I don't think you're crazy. I just think your expectations are completely out of line. You said it yourself: you'd be going for a casual event. These aren't casual events. They are competitive events. You then seem to imply that you paid for your minis and that entitles you to a one-day regional tournament in your area. You paid money for your minis, nothing more. If you want to compete at tournaments then you need to sacrifice your time, money, effort, or some combination of the three in order to attend. It's how the world works.

Two-day events are completely normal for games like this. Hell, there are tournaments for games that are four days long. Asking someone to compete for 15 hours in a single day is more unreasonable then asking them to compete for 7.5 hours for each of two days. X-Wing also might actually be the most inexpensive miniatures game ever to become popular. Hell, I remember Monsterpocalypse, a game I love, had blind packs.

I don't exactly know why there aren't more events. Of course prize support costs money and I imagine there's also the issue of trying to maintain a semblance of control and organization with the X-Wing season. You certainly don't want 112 people showing up to a national or continental championship with a bye. However, I suspect the biggest issue is that more shops in your area simply didn't apply to host a regional event.

I'm going to compete at Gen Con again this year. That's a round trip plane ticket, five days of accommodations, two days off of work, plus expenses. I'm not entitled to go. The fact that I can is a privilege. I hope I can appreciate it and help others to have the same experience.

At the end of the day, you have a comparatively inexpensive miniatures game with pre-painted minis, official prize support, and an officially sanctioned season with events all over the globe, including major annual gaming conventions. Not only that, you have a really well though set of rules with a comparatively balanced miniatures game that is still producing more ships, unique play styles, and a meta that is arguably the most diverse it has ever been. Trust me when I tell you FFG has done you a solid here. They have gone above and beyond what any other company ever has in order to support this game. It is unreasonable to expect even more in the way of a regional tournament that meets your specific wishes.

look-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-

Edited by costi

While I'm not a fan of 2-day events, remember that Regionals mean almost nothing in the long run other than a chance to play with a ton of people.

You don't have to win a store championship or regional to play at Gen Con or Origins. You can just register (although I'm guessing Gen Con is finally sold out). The bye is useful, but not the end all be all for winning  a large event.

The fact that you don't have to win a smaller event to attend the next level higher event makes the 2-day regional events much less of an issue.

Still think it would be easier if each state just had a regional (or a few regionals for the really big states) and you were limited to playing in just the one for your state or perhaps limited to only playing in 2-3 regionals per person to keep numbers down at each location.

Edited by ironkodiak

I have to say that i was not a big fan of the idea of a 2 day regional event until today. When the first 6 games do not finish until midnight and you still have 4 rounds to play to determine the winner it is not fun. The final table did not start until 5am. All of the players were tired and mistakes were being made so much it was kind of sad to see. One table of the final 8 quit after losing 1 ship even though he had 4 more on the table. He admitted he made to many mental errors and could not think or concentrate at that point. Every regional has to be determined on an individual basis. Some have no need to be two days. Others like the Dallas Regional coming up soon which is 2 days is suppose to have 150 people pre registered. It is not possible to organize and run 11 games in one day. No player would be in their right mind and the top table games would be no fun to watch.