Sign in to follow this  
emmjay

2 day events, really guys?

On the 2 day event issue:  All that really needs to happen is for FFG to put in place a "2-day suggested format" and additional prize support.  Anyone not in the cut?  You can also play rounds 1-3,4 or 5 the next day.  1st place at the end of all cut rounds (for the didn't-make-the-cut-day-2-bracket) gets the TO's top 16 prize.  Or top 32 card, or something similar.  If I knew I had 2 days of x-wing no matter what, I'd travel for it and stay.  The problem is its hard to justify not knowing your performance level and booking a hotel room based on it.

Edited by jonnyd

What happens if someone is a Father/Mother and needs to get back to their child at night?  What happens when you have a player on a shoestring budget already (hell, a college student really don't have a lot of disposable income) and you make them spend more for another day of gaming?  Hell, if you have to be at work early Monday morning after having just driven most of the night and didn't the all the sleep required.

Why can't these people make this choice for themselves? I know a lot of people who are parents, or have weird work scheduled. And several of them have simply decided not to go this year, or to drop out. I just played a guy on Vassal who made Top 16 at his local regional, but had a child emergency that forced him to leave. He wasn't blaming FFG for that choice.

It's not like FFG is sending enforcers out to ensure these people play two days of their tourney or they'll break their legs. Make your own choices here. It's a leisure activity. You don't have to do it.

On the 2 day event issue:  All that really needs to happen is for FFG to put in place a "2-day suggested format" and additional prize support.  Anyone not in the cut?  You can also play rounds 1-3,4 or 5 the next day.  1st place at the end of all cut rounds (for the didn't-make-the-cut-day-2-bracket) gets the TO's top 16 prize.  Or top 32 card, or something similar.  If I knew I had 2 days of x-wing no matter what, I'd travel for it and stay.  The problem is its hard to justify not knowing your performance level and booking a hotel room based on it.

I agree with that. I booked the hotel because for me it is a 4 hour drive to regionals in Durham NC. That has me getting up at 4am and hitting the road by 5. If i do not make the cut instead of driving 4 hours home and getting home at 12 am i have a hotel to hit and sleep at. if i do make the cut even better.

There is something of a suggested format with the System Open: Day 1 do the swiss, then Day 2 has the guys who make the cut playing but with a Hangar Bay event as well for everyone else.

While suggested, FFG didn't provide additional prize support for this format in the regional kits for this year.  Nor do they have anything in official documentation suggesting this.  It would be nice as an option for stores to do if they don't want to do it all in one day.

Hangar bay was awesome and I'd love to see something like that for anyone who stays to day 2 and didn't make the cut!  

I think as two day events start to be a regular occurrence that we'll probably see a bunch of non-standard format stuff happening on the second day for people that didn't make the cut but want to show up. 

Having events for the 2nd day would make it a lot more enticing that's for sure.

I don't know that you need more prize support, because more prize support will mean an increase in the entry fee, and I'd assume that a two day event already costs more to run then a one day event does.

I get it that some people can't devote two days to X-Wing, I know that in general I can't.  What I don't get is how some people feel that being denied something that is owed to them.  Like somehow FFG owes it to them to make these events accessible to their time constraints.

Edited by VanorDM

Lots of pluses for 2 day event.  Better competition, safer for travel, more fun, you get a chance to enjoy yourself, meet and talk to other players and friends(there have been friends that the only time I saw them was at an event like this every year).  Do you really want to be exhausted if you get to the finals, don't you want to play your best game then.  I understand the problem with making hotel plans.  It can get a little pricey depending on where you stay, but is it going to break you?  If it is maybe you don't need to be there to begin with.  To me it is my vacation, my long week-end.  Remember it is about something you like to do.  Yes real life events will sometimes over shadow the hobby, but that is part of life.  When I was younger, before gaming I would take time off with my Dad to spend a week-end fishing, now it is take the time off to game with my son and friends.  I think that if we cant afford to take two days off to relax and have fun, why are we working.  Work is not the end of the world, it is a means to support what we really like to do in life.  That is what fly casual really is.

A lot of people dropped in the top 8 in the fresno regional and it still went till like 2 am and it started at 10 am so I think 2 day events might start to be more common

I think as two day events start to be a regular occurrence that we'll probably see a bunch of non-standard format stuff happening on the second day for people that didn't make the cut but want to show up.

It would be awesome to run some cool side events, epic games, hunger games, mixed faction. I would just go the second day without making the cut if I knew the store would try to run those games simultaneously

Arguing in favor of a single-day tournament that can last fifteen hours or so is ludicrous. Two-days is a reasonable solution. If people can't set aside the time or money to participate then that's unfortunate but it's no reason to turn a competitive event in to a test to see who can stay awake and on their feet the longest.

Did none of you guys play any miniatures games before X Wing? Two day tournaments are a wargaming standard.

nope - the recent uptick in table-top gaming popularity the past couple of year, the game itself, and the license has brought in many new gamers and younger players that have never played other competitive table top games before. Not every one that enjoys this game is a 40 yr old 12 side die neckbeard ;)

That, and a lot of the Star Wars gamers that this attracted didn't do a lot of actual wargaming. I remember early on there was a LOT of SWM refugees (still is). And really, FFG's model really does work to appeal to those used to the CCG/CMG format of games. 

In a sense these tournament favor those close to event, or those with deep pockets.

Now where I'm at its only a 4 hour drive Which isn't bad, but it does suck that this can exclude people with families etc that don't live right beside the event.

Even myself it's hard to get away because I'm leaving my wife at home and take care of two kids while I'm gone to play with plastic space ships.

(she doesn't like to drive workout me very nervous so that why she doesn't come)

Not everyone can afford to pay for gas, hotel food etc just to play with plastic space ships.

Plus when I think about it, I don't know how you can justify it to your loved one, like it or not, it is kind of silly

Especially since there isn't really any reward.

If there was some sort of cash or something of real value, but other than the bye, the prizes are nickels and dimes.

(and before it's mentioned I know regional dice can go for a lot but you have to win those to begin with and I mean they are just dice)

Nobody makes money playing X-wing.  It's a hobby.  More expensive than some.  Cheaper than a lot of others.   Value is relative for most things.  Not everyone values X-wing or tournaments the same.  Some are willing to pay the costs, others aren't.  There's no wrong answer here.  

In a sense these tournament favor those close to event, or those with deep pockets.

Now where I'm at its only a 4 hour drive Which isn't bad, but it does suck that this can exclude people with families etc that don't live right beside the event.

Even myself it's hard to get away because I'm leaving my wife at home and take care of two kids while I'm gone to play with plastic space ships.

(she doesn't like to drive workout me very nervous so that why she doesn't come)

Not everyone can afford to pay for gas, hotel food etc just to play with plastic space ships.

Plus when I think about it, I don't know how you can justify it to your loved one, like it or not, it is kind of silly

If there was some sort of cash or something of real value, but other than the bye, the prizes are nickels and dimes.

(and before it's mentioned I know regional dice can go for a lot but you have to win those to begin with and I mean they are just dice)

This, exactly.

So now we want to push these tournaments into 2 day affairs and make people spend more money on hotels, and travel expenses?  Why not hire more staff and run more venues?  In all of Alberta, Canada there is only a couple regionals?  Come on guys.  That's baloney.  Might sound silly to someone not from there, but I am from Alberta and I say we could run more regional events.  Is there a requirement to running them?  Maybe we ought to look at running more events in more locations rather than stretching out the already apparently maxed out resources of the events we already have.

So now we want to push these tournaments into 2 day affairs and make people spend more money on hotels, and travel expenses?  Why not hire more staff and run more venues? 

With what money will you hire the staff, pay for venue rental, etc...? You'd have to increase the cost to enter. At some point, somebody is going to get stuck with the bill for whichever way the cookie crumbles.

You're either paying for a room / travel or you are paying to cover the cost of a localized regional

Edited by nathankc

This, exactly.

So now we want to push these tournaments into 2 day affairs and make people spend more money on hotels, and travel expenses?  Why not hire more staff and run more venues?  In all of Alberta, Canada there is only a couple regionals?  Come on guys.  That's baloney.  Might sound silly to someone not from there, but I am from Alberta and I say we could run more regional events.  Is there a requirement to running them?  Maybe we ought to look at running more events in more locations rather than stretching out the already apparently maxed out resources of the events we already have.

I'm from pei and last year my buddy and I drove to Fredericton and stayed over night.

That was doable for me since the wife was in Japan visiting family with the kids

This year We are getting up early morning to drive 3 1/2 - 4 hours to be there by 10am, and plan on driving back

As stated my concern with this is after a long day will it be safe to drive?

Luckily it's summer, and we can take turn driving, but even so, I don't want to keep my wife with the two kids any longer

My friend and I both won a bye this year so we intend on going.

The wife doesn't mind, but we do have a lot of expenses at the momentwith plans on moving to another country, so staying over night is just not doable at this time.

Back to my main point, as it was mentioned, I hope it doesn't run into the week hours of the night, but I'm also glad it's not as two day event.

Getting home safe is the most important thing

Is there a requirement to running them? 

There certainly is.  There is a list of requirements.

Store Championships can be run by any store that is in good Standing...  

But Regionals are Geographical based, and stores must apply, and be accepted for it... Based on previous events, turnouts, sales, promotion, and quite a few other markers that Lion Rampant puts on us in Canada...

I learned a bit about it researching for Armada Regionals at the Sentry Box this year...  But Greg had luckily already had everything handled.

There was a lot of disappointment this year for our area.

It was chosen to be in Fredericton this year with a new store.

Granted I heard that this store is ment for tournaments.

However, had they went with the Truro location it would have been more accessible to many others.

Last year regional was in Fredericton and was 26 total

Store championship in Truro was 36 (give or take I'm sure I'll be corrected)

This was also the largest tournament that I'm aware of here in the maritime for xwing.

Truro is much more central, Halifax is 1-2 hour drive, same from moncton and 2-3 hour from Charlottetown, plus if people want to come from Cape Bretton, Truro is much closer than Fredericton

Halifax to Fredericton is about 4 hour, 5-7 from Cape Bretton (guessing) 4 hours from Charlottetown.

Now not to dis the crew In Fredericton,but it really doesn't make sense why they choose a store that isn't as central over another that had higher attendance for a store championship over last year regional at the same location (different store same location)

And yes the Truro location did apply for it

The guy who ran the store championship I heard did am excellent job, and put a lot of effort and though I can't really speak for him, I believe he had his heart set on having the regional there, and I'm sure he would have went head over heels for it.

He had great prize support at his store championship winner getting a gozanti cruiser plus other give aways, and I believe if numbers exceeded the store he would have found another location, and to be honest I think we would have had 50-60 people.

I don't think Fredericton will get over 34. Which was originally their limit but just posted if numbers increase over that by end of this month (pre registration) they'll look into getting a bigger spot.

I know it probably comes down To sales, or at the very least it's the almighty $£€¥ that speaks when deciding on regional

They definitely didn't take ease of transportation, people safety or numbers into account.

If they did then Truro or moncton for that matter would probably work

I really hate lion rampant for reasons I'm not going to get into, but rather say, I think they are a bunch of idiots there

Edited by Krynn007

There is something of a suggested format with the System Open: Day 1 do the swiss, then Day 2 has the guys who make the cut playing but with a Hangar Bay event as well for everyone else.

While suggested, FFG didn't provide additional prize support for this format in the regional kits for this year.  Nor do they have anything in official documentation suggesting this.  It would be nice as an option for stores to do if they don't want to do it all in one day.

Hangar bay was awesome and I'd love to see something like that for anyone who stays to day 2 and didn't make the cut!

What's stopping stores from introducing their own events and prizes for the day 2 event? It's not like the FFG guidelines exhaust all possible options.

This, exactly.

If the event was only on Saturday and went from 9am to 2am, you'd still not stay in a hotel? That's craziness.

If anything, two-day events favor people driving long distances because they were probably going to have to make it a two-day trip, anyway. Now they at least get to play some extra games on the second day and it's not just a day of traveling. It's really only the locals that should suffer due to two-day events because they are now forced to make sure they can play on two separate days.

My wife knows I love playing this game. She's not into the geeky stuff at all, but she sees that it's my main hobby, that I'm good at it, and supports me in it. She has a massive test this weekend for school, and I told her I wanted to be here to support her on it, yet she was instead encouraging me to look into booking a room in Portland for the regional there this weekend. It would have been $200, and the only reason I ended up not going was because they were already on a waitlist, but she was fully behind it because she knows how much I love playing at these types of events.