Sign in to follow this  
emmjay

2 day events, really guys?

Ok, several places now, even during the Store Championship season, have started to have two day tournaments.  Day one is the "swiss" rounds and day two is the "cut".  Really guys?  In certain situations I can totally understand it, like say Gencon, Hoth System Open, or Worlds, where the player was planning on spending more than one day there anyway.  There is a big difference between going to a single tournament (Regional, Store Championship, whatnot) vs. going to an entire weekend event.  Going to Gencon this year I plan on being there several days.  My hotel room is already booked, I have saved up for all the gaming, swag, food and extras.  I shouldn't have to do the same for a single event tournament.

WI regional was a week or so ago and it was two days.  Several others have been as well and more will be as the Regional Season continues on.   If I wanted to go and made the cut it would have meant that I needed to get a hotel room, spend another day in Wisconsin, and have a much later drive to get back home before work the next day.  Yes, I could have dropped after the cut was announced, but what happens when TO's start to get smart and hold back top 4/8/16 prizes (as appropriate) until the second day?  Then you really start messing with people who don't need to be messed with.  I mean look, I have no problem driving 3, 4, 7 hours or so for an event.  I regularly drive 3+ to go to events in Omaha or Columbia or McPherson or Tulsa (yes, I am near Kansas City).  But to require players to spend a lot more money on a hotel room, not to mention the food and other things just for a single event tournament?  What happens if someone is a Father/Mother and needs to get back to their child at night?  What happens when you have a player on a shoestring budget already (hell, a college student really don't have a lot of disposable income) and you make them spend more for another day of gaming?  Hell, if you have to be at work early Monday morning after having just driven most of the night and didn't the all the sleep required.

Why can't you start earlier?  Why start at 10 or 11 am  when you can start at 8 or 9?  You as a store who wanted to host a Store Championship or Regional event are putting an onus on players because why?  You get tired?  They do?  Anyone can play well at 11am after a good nights sleep and hot breakfast and caffeine.  But to do so at 7-9pm?  Well that's the purpose of such a long tourney format.  To wear players down.  To get them tired.

Please, do those players that can't do a two day tourney for a single event a favor - keep it at one day.  Start it earlier.  Do one less round - you know you have that power as a TO.  Do something to keep it fun, and affordable, for all.

Thanks.

Why can't you start earlier?  Why start at 10 or 11 am  when you can start at 8 or 9?  You as a store who wanted to host a Store Championship or Regional event are putting an onus on players because why?  You get tired?  They do?  Anyone can play well at 11am after a good nights sleep and hot breakfast and caffeine.  But to do so at 7-9pm?  Well that's the purpose of such a long tourney format.  To wear players down.  To get them tired.

Calgary Started at 9am.

They still didn't finish until after 1am.

Niles regional was 6 rounds with a cut to top 16. That's 10 total rounds. Fifteen hours. So getting dials down by 9am and having zero breaks gets you out by midnight. But that's a long night. I'm totally fine with two day events as long as two requirements are met.

1) They announce well ahead of time that the event will be two days.

2) They offer other events on the second day for those that didn't make the cut.

Yeah, it is a sad reality of the popularity of the game. You talk about driving 3 hrs for a 8 am tourny. For some of these tournaments, that means being up before 5 am, and then not getting home till 12-4 am. How in the world is that better than making it two day events, as splurging for a cheap hotel room seems to be worth it in this situation. 

First of. If you think 1-day events are to few and far between, then nothing prevents you from making your own 1-day event. 

For an enjoyable event I really think that 2 days is the only good and responsible way to do it if you want 6 rounds and cut to top 8/16.

A lot of events are smaller and operates with 3-5 rounds of Swiss and these are perfectly fine as one day events.

Edited by Holmelund

People love X Wing, people do not want to spend almost an entire day playing X Wing. I would want to take  a long break for tea, data dump the days proceedings, maybe have an enjoyable ale with fellow tourney players and enjoy the social side of X Wing. 

As has been said previously, if was announced as a 2 day event then it's up to individuals if they want to attend. It is not easy organising an event, players seem to forget the actual organising that goes into these things. All a player does is bring a list, roll dice and go home. Spare a thought to the actual hosts.

My 2 cents, given the exchange rate, probably about 1.22 cents...

Some of us also have commitments outside of X-Wing (hard to imagine I know) and so starting at 8am and going through till 9-10pm does not make one popular with the other half; especially when children are involved.

Knowing very well that I'm never going to make the cut at my regional, it's much easier to get a day pass for the Swiss, and those who believe they're in with a chance can plan a weekend away. 

My FLGS will be running side events for those of us who don't make the cut on the second day but want/can play more X-Wing.

I'd much prefer shorter days and two day tournaments every single time.

Maybe I'm just not 'hardcore enough', but once I've played 6 rounds at most in a single day I've had enough, there's just no fun for me in an event that goes on for hours and hours and hours. Would much prefer to chill out a bit, get some sleep and come back the next day.

It's looking like there may be large delays at the Yavin Open in Birmingham next month due to people not pre-registering their squads, meaning that it could go on into the early hours of the morning. That's just such a long day. I've booked and paid for entry and a hotel, but if that does happen then I'm seriously considering not bothering playing.

two day events that have shorter days are much better for the players regards of traveling playing x wing for 15 hours is just mentally exhausting and if you have to travel after is just down right dangerous.

I'm fully expecting to start seeing two types of X-Wing event develop - those with a limited maximum number of players (probably 44 (or 40 in the Advanced structure), for 5 rounds of Swiss and a top 8 cut for a total of 8 rounds over the day), and those running over two days with a secondary event taking place for anyone who didn't make the cut.  I think the Hanger Bay format at the Open events is likely to be picked up for these second day events.

If it's a seasonal pack or store championships, why don't they limit to a number which can be comfortably completed within a day (say 32) and have two or more events. Make the events exclusive (ie you can't attend more than one at the same venue) and it would ensure that there's an appropriate level of prize support from FFG proportional to the player numbers.

For example, if a local store has up to 100 or more players in their player base, they would be able to have three byes into the regionals, 24 range rulers etc. while other stores hold events with 16 or less players would still have a similar proportion of prizes.

That would allow the regional/national/open events to combine all of the players over a multi day sessions.

Yes, really.

With X-Wing's popularity and increasing numbers across the competitive scene, in order to keep control of event timings and prevent ludicrous schedules, tournament organisers really have three choices:

a:  run two day X-Wing events or

b:  limit numbers/capacity or

c:  dispense with the cut to top 8

Basically, for the good of the game (and the players involved), you either break up a large event over two days, or limit numbers (and thereby limit number of rounds needing to be played), or dispense with a cut to top 8 entirely and determine winners based on final Swiss standings.

There's pros and cons to all these approaches.

For (a), you obviously have the issue of travel and accommodation costs over two days; not so bad for locals, not great for travelling players.  For (b) the best approach would probably be "smaller events, but more often", which might help timings on the day but isn't deal for FLGS owners who are usually committed to running events for quite a large number of products. © cuts out the issue of event organisers having to stick around (potentially very late) when only eight/four/two people are left playing, but going purely on Swiss results rather than knockout rounds isn't quite as satisfying for the players.

Issues with every approach, and no ideal solution really.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Driving 7 hours? I won't even consider driving for three :D.

7 hours, from my house that would get me to either Stettin in Poland, Aalborg in  Denmark, Munich in Germany, far past Paris in France, everywhere in the BeNeLux or, even with the ferry, to London in the UK.

That circle overlaps 8 countries, 7 languages and three currencies. 

For a game of X-Wing? It'd better be a multiple day event!