Sign in to follow this  
PhantomFO

"Highlander-rules" dogfights

I've seen a few places running these lately. The idea is that you still put together a 100 point list. However, your list is limited to one pilot from each faction, and all upgrades must be legal for the ship they're on (so no Mind-Links or Palp's Tooth). Titles that grant extra ships are allowed (ie, the Hound's Tooth), but docked ships like the Ghost/Phantom combo are not.

Anyone else tried this? What were your experiences like?

This is not what I was expecting.  "Highlander-rules" implies to me, that when a ship makes a kill, it experiences The Quickening!  :lol:  Which I guess would mean you get all of the upgrade cards of the ship you just killed.

Naturally, I was going to say this is a terrible idea.  But what you ACTUALLY posted, sounds kind of fun.

Highlander rule is there can be only one.

So I'm not seeing what this thread has to do with that.

Someone should have let the studio now there could be only one, unfortunately they thought that two (or more) was still ok.

That seems like a weird version of Highlander rules that I first saw in 40k.  I wouldn't want to mix factions like that. As others have posted, it means there can only be one (sometimes with exceptions).  So it doesn't strike me as a style that would work well for x-wing.  

I'd see a highlander format as requiring exactly one of each of a set of ships ship.

Say XYABE versus TIE/x1, TIE defender, TIE interceptor, TIE bomber and TIE phantom.

Whenever I see someone list rebel ships like that I'm always tempted to make a list which spells something.... But most interesting things you could spell would need an e. And I don't like ewings. :(

Though AXE would be very appropriate for highlander. :P

And what I thought was that you played a series of contests, and when a unique pilot died, he was GONE!  We have done this a lot, and it makes list building a lot more creative. . .do I field Soontir Fel this time if he will be Public Enemy #1?

This is not what I was expecting.  "Highlander-rules" implies to me, that when a ship makes a kill, it experiences The Quickening!  :lol:  Which I guess would mean you get all of the upgrade cards of the ship you just killed.

Naturally, I was going to say this is a terrible idea.  But what you ACTUALLY posted, sounds kind of fun.

Or the pilot ability

Highlander in this case is meaning "There can only be one... of each faction".

I've played in a tournament with this ruleset and am planning to host one with these rules next month. It's quite fun. Allowing you to combine ships from multiple factions blows list building wide open, but then being constrained to exactly three ships and exactly one from each faction narrows it back down again in a fascinating way.

This has been catching on a bit in my area and I rather enjoy it because of some good crowd faction synergy. My favorite is Kyle and Rexler team up, still looking for that perfect scum partner though.

This has been catching on a bit in my area and I rather enjoy it because of some good crowd faction synergy. My favorite is Kyle and Rexler team up, still looking for that perfect scum partner though.

Palob to strip tokens, or maybe Manaroo to pass tokens to Rexlar :)

So Palp Shuttle, Regen Poe, and a 35 point U-Boat.

Format ruined, next.

None of these alternative formats you guys come up with are any good. This one allows for regen palp aces with a U-Boat to top it off. Furballs being free-for-alls are prone to king making or ganging up on one player, with the additional problem of just being stupid Acewing end games. In our X-Wing Facebook group someone posted about playing in a format where you could have multiple of the same unique, so quad Biggs is allowed.

The Top Gun format is the best (alternative) format. The rules that we use for it are:

No unique upgrades.

No unique pilots.

90 points.

Limited to 2 of each ship type.

No ship can be over 30 points.

No large base ships.

No faction restrictions, however faction restricted upgrades are still faction restricted. So you can have a rebel, scum, and imperial squad if you want.

So in this format, Mindlink on HLC Scyks is great. PtL Royal Guards are good, and I imagine an x7 Onyx Squadron or Delta would be good too. You have a lot of options, and even if it devolved into a handful of top tier ships against each other, it would still be a great format because there are no Acewings, regen, and turrets aren't obnoxious albeit triple TLT is possible. No U-Boats either for people who hate those.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

When we played a Highlander event for our league, "there can be only one" meant that every ship, pilot, and upgrade card was treated as having the "Unique" quality.

There can only be one X-Wing or TIE/FO, only one Fire-Control System or heavy laser cannon. Only one copy of Autothrusters or engine upgrade could be included in the list. That sort of thing.

When we played a Highlander event for our league, "there can be only one" meant that every ship, pilot, and upgrade card was treated as having the "Unique" quality.

There can only be one X-Wing or TIE/FO, only one Fire-Control System or heavy laser cannon. Only one copy of Autothrusters or engine upgrade could be included in the list. That sort of thing.

Taking this further you could limit it to only one of anything for BOTH players. have a draft at the start and pick your pilots / upgrades one at a time. Do you pick U- boat before your opponent, is palp worth grabbing first but what if they take push the limit before you can grab soontir etc.

Might make for an interesting match up and would encourage diverse list building.