Sign in to follow this  
Panic 217

New Article up "Fly Casual"

When talking about play styles and groups can we please stop talking for others or whole groups? When talking about how your way is superior, more fun, better, or whatever please put to me afterwards. Competitive x wing is the most fun way to play the game, to me. Competitive x wing is the best version of the game, to me. That way you're not painting with a broad brush. Also for the love of God don't disparage a stores community because they aren't playing the way you want too. At my store you're probably gonna find 99% tournament matches. Why? WE REALLY REALLY REALLY like tournament matches. We have tournaments all the time and if we aren't having a tournament we are practicing for them. In the summer we would do these goofy 12 week leagues where it was all narrative scenarios with a focus on theme more than balance. We took a vote this year and we aren't doing the summer league. Only 1 person voted to do the summer campaign (the guy who wrote the scenarios) and the rest of us voted to do tournaments and tournament practice. Just is what is. Some people like 100 point dog fights others like the other stuff. For me 100 point dog fight or bust!

When talking about play styles and groups can we please stop talking for others or whole groups? When talking about how your way is superior, more fun, better, or whatever please put to me afterwards. Competitive x wing is the most fun way to play the game, to me. Competitive x wing is the best version of the game, to me. That way you're not painting with a broad brush. Also for the love of God don't disparage a stores community because they aren't playing the way you want too. At my store you're probably gonna find 99% tournament matches. Why? WE REALLY REALLY REALLY like tournament matches. We have tournaments all the time and if we aren't having a tournament we are practicing for them. In the summer we would do these goofy 12 week leagues where it was all narrative scenarios with a focus on theme more than balance. We took a vote this year and we aren't doing the summer league. Only 1 person voted to do the summer campaign (the guy who wrote the scenarios) and the rest of us voted to do tournaments and tournament practice. Just is what is. Some people like 100 point dog fights others like the other stuff. For me 100 point dog fight or bust!

That sounds like a great attitude to have.  Figure out what people want to play and do that.  Be aware that there are other ways to play the game, and that some people prefer those ways, or like to play them some of the time.  It's really not that complicated.  Thank god someone out there has a cool head.

... Now... can I interest you in a nice game of HotAC?   ;)

Went through this whole thread and the other one, I think I might be the target audience for this article but not the actual game.  I play Imperial Assault, I love the campaign in it, I also own the RPG and have played that.  I have recently started growing the skirmish game in my area casually and while I enjoy it, nothing beats a weekend night with my buddy's drinking beer, forgetting about responsibility and laughing over some dice rolls in the casual IA campaign while enjoying a very well done narrative story line.  IF X-Wing had anything close to this (and I have recently discovered HotAC, but it seems to require a lot of ships off the hop) I would buy it.  Their core box seems to be a great start, but it needs more. 

I got to this point in your post and my brain connected X-Wing to the new Star Wars Battlefront game. People enjoy it for what it is, but it's missing something that would have made it feel whole. In Battlefront that thing is single player campaign. In X-Wing, it's also campaign mode, and mission/scenario play.

We need official content that has been balanced and play-tested outside of the 100point dogfight arena.

We need official content that has been balanced and play-tested outside of the 100point dogfight arena.

You know, I'd take stuff that wasn't even balanced or play-tested!  I figure I can do that on my own, but even just getting something else would be great!

There is also a lot of little things that they could do that would help a lot.  Just putting a better way to search different types of missions in Mission Control would be incredibly helpful.  Let me search for only 100 pt missions, or ones with Epic ships, or missions with Scum, or three way missions, or.....you get the point.  As it is now, there are pages and pages of missions, but if I want to try to find one, how the heck do I do that?

You know, I'd take stuff that wasn't even balanced or play-tested!  I figure I can do that on my own, but even just getting something else would be great!

There is also a lot of little things that they could do that would help a lot.  Just putting a better way to search different types of missions in Mission Control would be incredibly helpful.  Let me search for only 100 pt missions, or ones with Epic ships, or missions with Scum, or three way missions, or.....you get the point.  As it is now, there are pages and pages of missions, but if I want to try to find one, how the heck do I do that?

This is a great point. There is a ton of stuff on Mission Control, but trying to find something specific is a nightmare unless you know the author or the title. I think I suggested a tag system about a year and a half ago as part of a set of suggestions to improve mission control. But I would probably settle for just a basic update to include all the released ships.

Also, do you ask questions like: "what sort of game?", "how many points?", "want to play a mission?" before game of chess? 

Yes?

cover_th.jpg

Besides, was chess based on a series of films that told an overall story that's been expanded on in dozens of books and comics that would lend itself to a variety of play styles and scenarios?

Seriously, I don't get why some of you are so outraged and threatened by FFG daring to acknowledge that there are people buying their games for whom a top 8 cut isn't the be-all end-all.

Edited by DailyRich

Also, do you ask questions like: "what sort of game?", "how many points?", "want to play a mission?" before game of chess? 

Yes?

cover_th.jpg

Besides, was chess based on a series of films that told an overall story that's been expanded on in dozens of books and comics that would lend itself to a variety of play styles and scenarios?

Seriously, I don't get why some of you are so outraged and threatened by FFG daring to acknowledge that there are people buying their games for whom a top 8 cut isn't the be-all end-all.

It's not in the narrative for the vocal minority of players.

I think after spending some time on this forum and going through the threads I have come to the realization that the biggest problem with X-Wing might be its player base.  Anywhere else I go in the official FFG forums you get a great atmosphere with a supportive community.. here I have found the equivalent to bodybuilding.com's Misc. forum.. I am just happy that all of these types are in one spot.  One spot that I can stay far, far away from :)

I have a group that gets together every Saturday and there are 12 to 14 of us. Then once in a while we gather to play during the week.. So on average there are 20 people a week playing casually.. So stop with the tournament play is the majority because it just isn't true. You aren't special because you played in a tournament... No more than the President is better than the farmer digging ditch is... So get off your high horse... This is a game and I personally applaud the designers for such an article...

I think after spending some time on this forum and going through the threads I have come to the realization that the biggest problem with X-Wing might be its player base.  Anywhere else I go in the official FFG forums you get a great atmosphere with a supportive community.. here I have found the equivalent to bodybuilding.com's Misc. forum.. I am just happy that all of these types are in one spot.  One spot that I can stay far, far away from :)

In this forum's defense, I will say that it's a lot better than other game systems.  Most people on here are pretty laid back, but tend to be more geared towards tournament play.  There are the occasional heated discussions, but usually not too bad.  I have seen a number of people in the past month with low post count that come on with the "internet warrior" attitude.  It's been a slight increase, but not crazy.  

In person, I can testify that X-wing gamers are really a laid back group.  Much better than most other mini game systems.  As much as board game players?  Well, that might be a stretch, but we aren't so bad.  Don't take this forum for a clear case of what you will see at the local store.

Fair enough, and I almost put a asterisk in there because I have seen some really good quality posters, like yourself, that bring the average up.

I think the other part of it is that the community is so large so in this case some of the negative nancys are more prominent and the quality posters get bogged down.  Where as say like the IA forum if a poster like that pops up they can quickly be squished by the tight knit community.

I still wouldn't hesitate to post here or ask a question, the internet is full of trolls you just have to learn not to feed them.

I hate to admit it, but you may have a point. Two years ago you would see at least once every month somebody start a topic about how this is the best gaming community they have ever participated in. Now...not so much. I don't know what happened.

However, if you spend time on the Squad Building and Battle Reports subfora, you will see that same spirit of congeniality. I spend more time there than the main forum, but people don't post there as regularly, so I end up checking the main forum pretty often.

I haven't read the whole thread, it really doesn't seem worth it. But has anyone actually been outraged about FFG doing that? Is anyone actually outraged that people play the game in different format than the standard tournament setup?  I've seen people say the article isn't interesting to them, but no actual outrage... But if I missed it then please show it to me.

I mean I could see how a number of people may prefer to play it that way, and aren't interested in playing some other format. Of course to be fair, you can't know if you never tried it. I've played the HotAC and I've played Epic, and I enjoy both. But I also enjoy the 100 point game.

What I find interesting is how often casual players act so defensive and quick they are to lash out at the tournament players, like somehow it's their fault that people aren't playing more epic games or missions, or they're the reason FFG hasn't made a campaign book yet.

Do people not realize how egotistical and condescending it sounds whey they say "Well thankfully the elitist players aren't posting in this thread."

Edited by VanorDM

When talking about play styles and groups can we please stop talking for others or whole groups? When talking about how your way is superior, more fun, better, or whatever please put to me afterwards. Competitive x wing is the most fun way to play the game, to me. Competitive x wing is the best version of the game, to me. That way you're not painting with a broad brush.

"To me" is implied. There's no need to end every opinion with "to me." Even if the writer isn't explicit about it, the reader should understand it.

Edited by EvaUnit02

I hate to admit it, but you may have a point. Two years ago you would see at least once every month somebody start a topic about how this is the best gaming community they have ever participated in. Now...not so much. I don't know what happened.

However, if you spend time on the Squad Building and Battle Reports subfora, you will see that same spirit of congeniality. I spend more time there than the main forum, but people don't post there as regularly, so I end up checking the main forum pretty often.

I don't know what happened either. There was a time when I posted a lot and read a lot of threads in here, but now I don't feel inclined to anymore and find myself passing more time reading the IA and Armada forums than the X-Wing one, even though I still prefer X-Wing as a game. Maybe I got bored about reading about 'fix this', 'nerf that', 'you're doing something wrong', 'My dad is stronger than yours', etc, etc, etc. 

When talking about play styles and groups can we please stop talking for others or whole groups? When talking about how your way is superior, more fun, better, or whatever please put to me afterwards. Competitive x wing is the most fun way to play the game, to me. Competitive x wing is the best version of the game, to me. That way you're not painting with a broad brush.

"To me" is implied. There's no need to end every opinion with "to me." Even if the writer isn't explicit about it, the reader should understand it.

Remind me of a night with some friends where I gave my opinion and one of my friend got angry (there was a LOT of alcool involved) because he thought that I was giving it as a fact. I then proceeded to start all my sentences that night with : ''Me, personally, I''. It's been what, ten years maybe, and we keep doing it from time to time just for laugh when we start arguing about our different opinions.

Edited by Red Castle

On one hand though I would hate for X-Wing to become a casual play oriented game where player enjoyment was more important than a tight ruleset and comprehensive game mechanics.

Cuz I mean hell, the only real reason I bought into X-Wing was and still is the promise of high level competitive play backed by an expertly written set of rules.  If all I wanted to do was make up stories and play sandbox I'd still be playing Warhammer 40k. 

What you say is true - from a certain point of view. But others might say it is quicker, easier, more seductive, to not take that first step into a larger world. Fear of trying new ways leads to anger at those who promote those ways, which leads to suffering as Star Wars quotes are forced viciously out of context.

The problem with this thread and all the others like it... Is this us vs them mentality some people have, and to be clear that both casual and competitive players are guilty of this.

We all play the same game but some of us may prefer to play it one way vs a different way.  Just like toppings on pizza there is really only one wrong answer.

The wrong answer is when you try to claim someone else's opinion is somehow wrong, or that your opinion is somehow superior.  

wdf.  What a waste of time article?

There are very few times I have wished for a dislike button on the forum...

If it was such a waste of your time, why waste more time commenting.

Kris

Downvote for you sir.

Here's something I came up with that is pretty fun:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/217447-boba-ricks-superfantabulous-furball/

To be fair, I've never had a negative experience with another player at an actual tournament. The community as a whole still seems pretty great. It's just this forum that seems a bit chippy and weird lately.