Sign in to follow this  
Panic 217

New Article up "Fly Casual"

Maybe a bureaucrat on Coruscant was crunching the numbers, and realized that a great number of x-wing players 'fly casual' and buy a lot of their product... and maybe they want to promote this way of playing for a myriad of reasons? Maybe some people new to x-wing honestly don't know about all the options out there. 

In any case that pic they used of the Epic game was me :) Those TIE's got steamrolled, by the way. 

Waiting for the check in the mail, FFG. 

First off, I think FFG was forced to recognize Casual play due to the Force de Triumph that is "The Shuttle Tydirum" Podcast!  We have taken the X-wing fan base by storm!  How could they not acknowledge us with an article?  They even put our shuttle, the Mothership of Casual X-wing, the banner!    :rolleyes:

OK....seriously, though, there is a problem.  Just today someone started a topic about how they played an awesome game of Epic and how much fun they were having once they abandoned the tournament style of the game.  Here's what someone's response was:

I envy you sir. I'll be leaving the game soon. The competitive environment has crushed my spirits too much.

There are people that are fed up with the tournament game and find it not to their taste.  They quit the game.  I know several players locally who have done so as they just don't like playing tournament style gaming.  Yes, there are more people that are getting into the game and into tournaments (the numbers of attendance are going up), but there is also an attrition ratio of people who don't like that style of game.  This article is just perhaps a call to those types of players that there are other forms of the game than 100 pt tournament death match.  

You know, I don't think this article actually replaces anything of content that was going to come out, so it's not like this article takes away from anyone.  It's just a message out to people that were thinking about quitting the game as they don't like how it's done at their local store.  

Didn't they get the memo from Paul that fly casual is dead?!?!

Actually, Fly Casual has turned into a force ghost and been reborn.  The old meaning of not getting stressed out is dead, but the new meaning just means not playing non-tournament 100 pt death match X-wing.  "Fly Casual" means playing Epic or Cinematic or Missions or 3 way games or whatever the heck you want it to.  Long live "Fly Casual".

Edited by heychadwick

At first glace...

Way to go FFG for recognizing the hobby aspect of the game.  Sure X-Wings all come painted and assembled, but even people who have no experience with painting miniatures soon find themselves wanting to learn or contacting a painter.  The thrill of fielding a squad of your very own personalized mini's will always be a key element to any tabletop game and I'm glad FFG recognizes this.

edit:  Also, the term 'fly casual'... that has always bothered me.  I know people take it to mean something more friendly but in ROTJ when Han advises Chewie to 'fly casual' he's really saying something more like 'appear friendly so we can sabotage their stuff'...  Sometimes I feel like the original movie meaning of the term fits more aptly for some people who use it too often!

Edited by Darkcloak

It looks like it was written months ago, doesn't mention the Hangar Bay format.

It is quite possible that it was written months ago.  Still, Hanger Bay format is still a tournament.  The idea of the article is you don't have to go to tournaments or play 100 pt death match to have fun in X-wing.  

This is one of the best articles I've seen from FFG for ages. In fact, probably THE best article I've seen from them.

The main problem with X Wing is that the tournament format is promoted and played by so many players to the exclusion of all else. You can go into some stores on a random games night and find EVERYONE there playing a tournament format game. There are so many ways to play X Wing but gamers are so precious and scared to deviate away from the 'official' way to play that no one ever does anything except play the standard 100 point tournament snoozefest.

Now obviously there's outliers. Some groups embrace alternative play, lots of people play HotAC or Epic games. But the majority of people only ever play tournament style games, and the overwhelming majority of FFG releases tacitly promote the tournament format as well. It's great to see FFG actively promoting the other ways to play. The more people that are keen to play non-tournament games the better. In my ideal world, before EVERY game of X Wing there would be a conversation:

"What sort of game?"

"How many points?"

"Want to play a mission?"

Instead of just an unspoken understanding that the game will automatically be a 100 point furball with six rocks.

It was meh.  I was really hoping for some info on alternative play, and I appreciate the ideas given but I wasn't impressed.

What sort of info were you hoping for?

X-Wings such a brilliantly simple rule set, it can be easily adapted to include what ever you want. I wanted games with Turrets and Imperial Walkers, so I painted some up, cobbled together some rules and had a blast. Its crying shame FFG doesn’t seem interested in exploiting that side of the game themselves.

FFG should be putting out campaign box sets, with flashy card scenery. Throw in some pilot and upgrade cards for the campaign, maybe a model, like a transport. If they wanted to sell to pure tournament players just include the fabled X-Wing fix, only one card, they’d still buy it :lol:

Edited by Animatic

The main problem with X Wing is that the tournament format is promoted and played by so many players to the exclusion of all else. You can go into some stores on a random games night and find EVERYONE there playing a tournament format game. There are so many ways to play X Wing but gamers are so precious and scared to deviate away from the 'official' way to play that no one ever does anything except play the standard 100 point tournament snoozefest.

Come on, dude. No one is "precious and scared." Those of us who like the tournament format want to play the competitive game as it was designed. Feel free to play missions, campaigns, or anything you can think up. No need to beat this "competitive players vs casual players" drum. The idea that the two butt heads is largely fabricated, in my opinion, and mostly by comments like this.

Come on, dude. No one is "precious and scared." Those of us who like the tournament format want to play the competitive game as it was designed. Feel free to play missions, campaigns, or anything you can think up. No need to beat this "competitive players vs casual players" drum. The idea that the two butt heads is largely fabricated, in my opinion, and mostly by comments like this.

I'd agree with your comment except for one thing - it goes exactly AGAINST what you say when actually tried in real life, not just on a forum.

When you go to a store and say, "Want to play X-Wing?" and mention alternate formats - HotAC, missions, Epic - the tourney-only players start to get that scared look in their eyes and you can see the wheels visibly turning. "What? Unfamiliar format? I don't know the best builds... is he angling for an easy win? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY THAT WAY!!!"

...and then you get a pretend-casual, "Naw, not really interested in that, but you wanna test builds?"

...And you sigh and say, "Okay, fine, you want to test against PalpAces or something else? I've got something I need to test against PalpAces too, so you pilot it one game I'll do the other."

It's that walled garden effect - they know everything they need to know in that one little safe space and don't want to explore the hedge maze just outside the walls because it's, like, uncertain, man.

And FFG is complicit because ALL they EVER promote is tourney, tourney, tourney, 100 point deathmatches with 6 rocks and no variety. Even Games Workshop tournaments have scenarios where sometimes you'd be doing a deathmatch, sometimes you'd be trying to control table quarters, sometimes you'd be trying to have the closest unit next to objective markers...

It'd be nice if they did something official to change it instead of a feel-good, "Well golly gee folks, there ARE other ways to play if you're tired of getting curbstomped in 100pt 6 rocks..." The article feels condescending to me. "Oh, you're tired of how we like the game to be? Well, that's nice for you."

I like the article and there is nothing wrong with reminding people to deviate from the tournament format to enjoy the game in a different light.

That being said, they should do a campaign system or just more missions to encourage this more. It would have been cool to have them attach a mission or two to the article for us.

I'd agree with your comment except for one thing - it goes exactly AGAINST what you say when actually tried in real life, not just on a forum.

When you go to a store and say, "Want to play X-Wing?" and mention alternate formats - HotAC, missions, Epic - the tourney-only players start to get that scared look in their eyes and you can see the wheels visibly turning. "What? Unfamiliar format? I don't know the best builds... is he angling for an easy win? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY THAT WAY!!!"

...and then you get a pretend-casual, "Naw, not really interested in that, but you wanna test builds?"

...And you sigh and say, "Okay, fine, you want to test against PalpAces or something else? I've got something I need to test against PalpAces too, so you pilot it one game I'll do the other."

It's that walled garden effect - they know everything they need to know in that one little safe space and don't want to explore the hedge maze just outside the walls because it's, like, uncertain, man.

And FFG is complicit because ALL they EVER promote is tourney, tourney, tourney, 100 point deathmatches with 6 rocks and no variety. Even Games Workshop tournaments have scenarios where sometimes you'd be doing a deathmatch, sometimes you'd be trying to control table quarters, sometimes you'd be trying to have the closest unit next to objective markers...

It'd be nice if they did something official to change it instead of a feel-good, "Well golly gee folks, there ARE other ways to play if you're tired of getting curbstomped in 100pt 6 rocks..." The article feels condescending to me. "Oh, you're tired of how we like the game to be? Well, that's nice for you."

First of all, I doubt that 'tournament players' really have such an aversion to playing different types of games.  They're obviously interested and invested in maximizing their tournament performance, but that doesn't mean they don't enjoy or respect other gametypes.  I bet that if you polled the players at a regionals event and asked them if they thought playing Heroes of the Aturi Cluster was worthwhile or fun, more than half would say so.  Last year at the Nova Open one of the most popular events was the narrative event, with a huge scratchbuilt star destroyer in the final game.  Furball games are almost universally enjoyed.  

Does everyone go to their FLGS looking to play a non-tournament style game? No.  Do plenty of people look for games with the intent of practicing for tournaments? Sure.  Does it mean they think playing any other kind of game is a stupid waste of time? Of course not.  Don't put words in other people's mouths.  

As to the idea that FFG publishing this article was condescending to casual players... it's hard for me to understand how I can have such a profoundly different interpretation of the article than you.  The article is clearly an endorsement of non-tournament styles of play, and I think that only the most cynical and defensive reading of it can lead to a different conclusion.

Edited by Babaganoosh

More likely they packed their stuff and drove to the store expecting to play a few 100 point games.

Hear, hear. 

One good thing about Games Workshop tournaments is that the corporation will not touch them with a ten foot pole. For the better, in my opinion. Tournament organizers have done a great job at fixing the game for competitive play... and we accept things like comp, creative missions that address balance issues, and creative formats of the game (well at least some of us do). 

That being said I don't think the article was condescending, just ignorant of our needs and our feelings. Be more considerate of our needs and feelings, FFG. 

FFG, you need to run down some of those herd of unpaid interns you have working, and set them to work 'playtesting' alternative tournament formats. Then release to the public that these formats are 'playtested'. That way the competitive crowd will all of a sudden love these events. And they will probably be just about as balanced as the 100 pt formats are anyway. 

AND ANOTHER THING... 

Hangar bay formats are NOT casual play!