Sign in to follow this  
droz69

Played an Epic game this past weekend. HOBBIE KLIVIAN FTW!

So much fun.  I'm having so much more fun now with the game since stepping away from the highly competitive scene.

Played a 300pt match in our friendly league this past Sunday.

I took the GR75 Transport with Toryn Farr and Tibana Gas.  It was meant to just go in, maybe take away some tokens from someone like Fel, and ram stuff.  Kept the point cost very low so I didn't have a ton of points into it because I knew it would get blown up easily with what I wanted it for.

The rest of my squad consisted of:

3xBandit w/concussion, Chips

1xTala w/Tracer/Chips

Poe w/VI, R5-P9, Autothrusters

Hobbie w/Targetting Astromech, IA, Adv Torp

Horton w/TLT, Extra Mun, Astro that retargets on evade roll, proton torps, Chips

Miranda w/TLT, Extra Mun, Concussion Missiles, Proton torps, Chips, C3P0,

Wedge w/BB8, PTL, Engine Upgrade, Plasma Torp

Had so much fun.  My opponent had a fully decked out Gozanti carrying Carnor and Fel in standard format, 3 Black Squads, Howlrunner, Vader in stadard layout, Chirpy with Emperor, expose, Ysard

It was so much fun.  Seriously, Hobbie was MVP.  4K for days, just grabbing target locks and focus.  I didn't get any pics unfortunately.  Hobbie got a straight up kill shot on Chirpy, then Vader (seriously 3 hits followed by 3 focus on vader and he didn't have a focus token and no shields left), then the final killing blow on the Gozanti.  It was a beautiful site watching that little X-Wing that could get the best kills in the game.  

Toryn Farr worked great, stripping Fel when he came out of all tokens, and fell took a hit and a crit from two different Z-95's.  The Transport did it's job by running over a completely healthy howlrunner and black squad pilot, and the tracers gave all three other Z's a target lock on the Gozanti and they tore it up on their firing phase.  I think Horton ended up getting the kill shot on fel at the end of the game with a proton torpedo to the face.  

Seriously had so much fun.  I'm glad I'm back in fun mode :)

I envy you sir. I'll be leaving the game soon. The competitive environment has crushed my spirits too much.

This is exactly the reason I am leaving the high teired competitive game.  I love the game.  Most of my friends play, but they don't play at the level I play.  Instead, I'm coming back down and having fun with it now.  The issue I see with the competitive crowd right now is there is so much min maxing and noone wants to take something new and different.  

So much fun.  I'm having so much more fun now with the game since stepping away from the highly competitive scene.

Great to hear!  I gave up on tournament level this year, as well.  I'm having a lot of fun.  I even started a podcast based on Casual X-wing.  Three episodes so far and I think our latest is the best.  Link in my signature.

I can concur with Heroes of the Aturi Cluster being an amazing game.  I've pulled in people who've quit (due to similar issues) and even pulled in the tournament guys.  It's been a blast and we usually have a few guys show up specifically to play HotAC each week.  

Epic is a real blast.  I particularly like playing with all or mostly generics.  Even group build both lists without so many sneaky tricks and play a straight up match.  It's a lot of fun.  I've even built a space station out of junk around the house and made up rules for it.  

Great to hear!  I gave up on tournament level this year, as well.  I'm having a lot of fun.  I even started a podcast based on Casual X-wing.  Three episodes so far and I think our latest is the best.  Link in my signature.

I can concur with Heroes of the Aturi Cluster being an amazing game.  I've pulled in people who've quit (due to similar issues) and even pulled in the tournament guys.  It's been a blast and we usually have a few guys show up specifically to play HotAC each week.  

Epic is a real blast.  I particularly like playing with all or mostly generics.  Even group build both lists without so many sneaky tricks and play a straight up match.  It's a lot of fun.  I've even built a space station out of junk around the house and made up rules for it.  

And I am waiting for the podcast on Epic Play, good sir!

In my area, X-wing up through wave three was kinda a sideline thing. This was before the explosion in popularity in our area. I was just leaving Magic at the time, fit the third, and I can honestly say final time. I was a bit lost in the gaming world being a Magic refugee and leaving such a large community and steady drip feed of new content that had me a little spoiled. I tried 40k and was totally disgusted by what they were trying to pass off as a game. Looked into Attack Wing because, well it looked neat, I also like trek, there were regular events, and the X-wing game I was lereay of because historically I've never found a good Star Wars tabletop or minis game. But AW was WizKids and I knew how they did their organized play from back when I was into mechwarrior and thought better of it. Wasnt till a buddy at the flgs say me down for a quick game and I was instantly hooked. Bought in big time. Again, no real crowd, so I started posting Demos and trying to push a regular game night at the store.

Eventually we displaced the 40k crowd on Mondays. Not alot of us but enough to do it. The store events were being simultaneously run by the gentleman running the attack wing game and so I offered to take it over. Went from one kit per season to three, linked up with the gentleman who was organizer at another site in the area. He was the one who initiated our local TO group cooperative. Five TOs running events at three different stores, I had the Monday free gaming at one store, Tuesdays was league at another, Thursdays open FFG minis at the third. Everything organized through a shared Google calendar and Facebook. It's actually a pretty impressive group.

And from the get go it was geard toward Casual play. But the tournaments abounded. And players got really good. And before you knew it all the fun casual lists were getting eaten. And FFG wasnt helping with the latest releases.

Since getting into the game, the only ship I desperately wanted was the Outrider. The gencon it debuted, I was there to get one. Won five tournaments straight with it. And after the joy of success settled, I felt awful. I had seen this before. It was power creep, the destiny of all games that have expanding content, and it had arrived at last. The one ship I wanted marked the beginning of the end. I've stuck it out till now.

We tried getting the now roughly two dozen (probably a bit more than that) players in our play group into the HotAC campaign, and another one we found here on the forums. We even started making our own campaign. But nobody but me and one other really wanted to and that was the other TO. So that failed. Again on a second attempt later too.

But more than anything, after all the BS I put up with for Wizards and their won ton use of power creep and meta content, I just can't go through with it again. I can't conscientiously support a design team that has this modus operandi. Whether anyone agrees they do or not.

I'll be playing a regional this weekend, and then the National at Origins. I'll do it because I want to leave with at least an idea as to whether the success in the game I've experienced is just a figment of the imagination, or actual skill. And to fly my favorite ship one last time in competition. Then until there is some balance in the X-wing force again, my stuff is going back onto the shelf.

Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate it. Fly casual, and I'll post my results from Nationals if their worth it.

Edited because phone typing SUCKS! Lol

Edited by ForceSensitive

@droz69: Excellent post! I am a Huge fan of Epic play (pun intended). Glad it worked out so well for you. Those T-65's are a blast! Did your opponent have fun? Sounds like he got steamrolled.

@ForceAensitive: Sorry to hear that about Dash. Didn't your group try to counter him? Dash is tough, but I've defeated my share of Outriders. Maybe it's not so much power creep as you finding a squad/ship that resonates with your play style, and you're just really good with him.

We tried getting the now roughly two dozen (probably a bit more than that) players in our play group into the HotAC campaign, and another one we found here on the forums. We even started making our own campaign. But nobody but me and one other really wanted to and that was the other TO. So that failed. Again on a second attempt later too.

Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate it. Fly casual, and I'll post my results from Nationals if their worth it.

Sorry you feel this way.  Sorry the HotAC didn't work out.  I've found that during the SC and Regional times of year that it's quite hard to get people out of practice mode.  I've also found it's best to try to find those guys that have quit already or are on the edge of quitting that want to get into HotAC or other variants.  Also, right after Regionals is great in my area, since we are no where near Worlds.  People are burnt out on the tournament style and willing to try fun stuff.  

I've also found that printing out all the stuff for a visually pleasing Trench Run mission or getting all the toys out for a Epic game will also draw in players.  I'll build both Epic lists myself and have all the minis for them and just let anyone who walks up and looks take over some ships.  I'll pull in experienced gamers and also complete new people into it.  I've found when I post about it on social media sites that I get some people from out of the wood work that I've never heard of before that have always wanted to try Epic or the crazy missions.  I've found you need to either find those rare people out or recruit the casual gamers  yourself.  I know it can be tough.

Maybe FFG will throw us a bone after the tournament season is over?

I envy you sir. I'll be leaving the game soon. The competitive environment has crushed my spirits too much.

Do not leave, just fly casual.

Not casual enough. Fly pantsless.

You sir are someone that I want to game with! Hilarious!!!