Sign in to follow this  
Rebelinst

Black One / PS9 Poe: A Missed Opportunity from FFG?

The “Black One” title and PS9 Poe are one of the most glaring missed design opportunities in this game. I don’t understand how such an iconic pilot and title could have been handled so poorly. I’m not sure what bugs me more, the wasted title, or the a cop-out card reprint.

The Black One title, although cheap, is overly conditional. Why not use a “Poe Damon T-70 Only” Black One title to give PS8 Poe the boost to PS9?  (Costs 1pt for the 1PS bump vs using 1 pt for VI for allowing the freeing up the EPT slot... makes sense) This would fix the cinematic Poe PS issue without the cop-out of a pilot card reprint. Are the flood gates now open? Does mean that we will start seeing new cards with a different PSs and costs for every other ship?

It’s easy for us to Monday Morning Quarterback FFG's decisions as a customers looking in, but this decision has really left me scratching my head.

*At the FLGS monthly X-wing tournament last night, there was not one X-wing in the field. PS9/ Black One is not going to change that. Just sayin’….

Are the flood gates now open? Does mean that we will start seeing new cards with a different PSs and costs for every other ship?

No.

This has been another episode of Short Answers to Long Questions*, tune in at the next sky is falling thread!

*All rights of this program are the Intellectual Property of Vorpal Sword

Having played with PS9 Poe, with BB-8 and PTL, I can say that he is a lot of fun. Is he super competitive? Probably not for the price. He is super frustrating to all the Imperial Aces that love to target lock though. The title is pretty good when paired with bb8.

As other people have said, HotR is fixing Poe to what he should have been all along. As for Xwings, I won my store championship with a list that included Hobbie Klivian, and I almost always see them at our game nights. Just sayin...

knocking off locks is great (just not v scouts with that timing), it's just the that T-70 only restriction keeps it from making far more interesting pilots (Wedge, Wes) from benefiting and potentially seeing more play. That's a missed opportunity, but at least it's a small one

anyway, I disagree that HotR is "fixing" poe. the new version is far less efficient and just as dead to basically the entire current meta, so it's really nothing but some worthless fluff. It's the same exact thing at +1ps, yawn

besides, ello is still the most fun bb-8 pilot because he doesn't have to waste the turn post-trolling shedding stress

if they had given Poe a spiffy new ability or something, that would've been interesting; a little "if out of defender's firing arc, roll one additional die" to represent him just chain murdering all the poor ties that were facing the wrong way :P

would also have worked well with Black One (boost to get out of arc) and incentivized bb8 more ; given him something more to go on against scouts

Edited by ficklegreendice

The “Black One” title and PS9 Poe are one of the most glaring missed design opportunities in this game. I don’t understand how such an iconic pilot and title could have been handled so poorly. I’m not sure what bugs me more, the wasted title, or the a cop-out card reprint.

The Black One title, although cheap, is overly conditional. Why not use a “Poe Damon T-70 Only” Black One title to give PS8 Poe the boost to PS9?  (Costs 1pt for the 1PS bump vs using 1 pt for VI for allowing the freeing up the EPT slot... makes sense) This would fix the cinematic Poe PS issue without the cop-out of a pilot card reprint. Are the flood gates now open? Does mean that we will start seeing new cards with a different PSs and costs for every other ship?

It’s easy for us to Monday Morning Quarterback FFG's decisions as a customers looking in, but this decision has really left me scratching my head.

*At the FLGS monthly X-wing tournament last night, there was not one X-wing in the field. PS9/ Black One is not going to change that. Just sayin’….

Why weren't you flying an X-wing then? Just askin'....

As for most useless title *Slave 1* would like to have a word with you...

A ship more iconic than any black X Wing and it's awesome ability is to get a torpedoe slot....

If any title needed a re work it is this one.

You crazy, friendo. Slave 1 will at least enable you to take Long Range Scanners on a firespray for free.

Most useless title? ST-321. Would you ever take that when you can spend those 3 valuable points on crew and systems upgrades? Nah.

EDIT: Honorable mentions for uselessness go out to the "Hounds Tooth" and the "Heavy Scyk" (you know, for being attached to a Scyk).

Edited by CBMarkham

A ship more iconic than any black X Wing and it's awesome ability is to get a torpedoe slot....

If any title needed a re work it is this one.

Slave 1 title has been getting buffs though. It lets you take Extra Munitions and/or Long-Range Scanners. It's still not awesome but at least it has some value now.

Why not use a “Poe Damon T-70 Only” Black One title to give PS8 Poe the boost to PS9?

Because then there would be no need to put a Poe pilot card in the pack. It would also force people to buy a T-70 expansion just for that pilot card. How is putting a upgrade you can't use, unless you buy something else even remotely customer friendly? Not to mention is somewhat confusing, and would lead to disappointed people. Frankly this is so self-evident I can't see why people don't get this.

So the simple fact is, that a title like that is an amazingly bad idea.  In fact it's not only a bad idea, it's pretty much pure bad, because doing it that way would really add zero benefit.

Are the flood gates now open? Does mean that we will start seeing new cards with a different PSs and costs for every other ship?

How exactly is that a bad thing? What's wrong with more than one version of a given pilot? I mean it seems to me that this is a case of more options being a good thing.

Slave 1 title has been getting buffs though. 

True, but when it was released... There was no reason to take it.  No one used torps so why take a title that let you take something you didn't want in the first place?

Only way it could've been worse is if it cost points.

I got no problem running a 41 point Black One Poe. Especially considering the Defender buffs, he will be able to screw with the likes of Vessery, Omega Leader, Inquisitor, etc.

Particularly interested in Dash/Poe. There is a lot of... Poetential.

So the good news is that a super expensive, 41pt Poe will be able to compete as a true ace in the same vein as Soontir or Vader or Whisper, etc., but at that price point, it's still going to be hard to field him when you realize that the increased PS and cool title you paid for don't stop him from being U-Boat chow.

Not taking Plasma Torps to the face when you don't have 3 green dice and an evade token is tough biz. Ghosts can shrug it off, but Poe winces. 

You crazy, friendo. Slave 1 will at least enable you to take Long Range Scanners on a firespray for free.

Most useless title? ST-321. Would you ever take that when you can spend those 3 valuable points on crew and systems upgrades? Nah.

EDIT: Honorable mentions for uselessness go out to the "Hounds Tooth" and the "Heavy Scyk" (you know, for being attached to a Scyk).

I love the Scyk title. 5 M3-A all with manglers is nasty. First or second round just focus fire on anything and you are probably going to take it down. First game using this I focused on a Decimator and left it with 5 hull points, after on round of firing.

I'm no fan of the Poe reprint either but what gets me most is the Falcon repackage.  I'm just not into having two YT-1300s nor am I all that interested in the new Han and Chewie cards. 

Luckily, the answer is simple. Don't get it. Not all products has to be something directly tailored to your personal needs or wants. 

I got no problem running a 41 point Black One Poe. Especially considering the Defender buffs, he will be able to screw with the likes of Vessery, Omega Leader, Inquisitor, etc.

So the good news is that a super expensive, 41pt Poe will be able to compete as a true ace in the same vein as Soontir or Vader or Whisper, etc., but at that price point, it's still going to be hard to field him when you realize that the increased PS and cool title you paid for don't stop him from being U-Boat chow.

Not taking Plasma Torps to the face when you don't have 3 green dice and an evade token is tough biz. Ghosts can shrug it off, but Poe winces. 

I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Darklighter, and his friend R4-D6.

I actually played a Dash/Poe list yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I had 4 point left so I took a Proton Rockets on Dash and kept one point for initiative. But If the Hero pack was already released, I would have took the PS9 version of Poe and the title instead.

Concerning the PS9 version of Poe and title, I think that it is a good fan service from FFG.

They had to include Poe with the Black One paint version of the T-70 and after watching the movie, Poe is definetly a PS9 pilot. I would have prefered if they also gave him another pilot ability but still, good fan service and I don't see this version dominate the meta.

As for the title, I didn't like it at first, but since it synergise well with BB-8, I see it as a good reason to take BB-8 instead of a regen droid on Poe, so it's thematic. I like it. And now being a PS9, he'll be one of the best arc dodger in the game.

Why not use a “Poe Damon T-70 Only” Black One title to give PS8 Poe the boost to PS9?

Because then there would be no need to put a Poe pilot card in the pack. It would also force people to buy a T-70 expansion just for that pilot card. How is putting a upgrade you can't use, unless you buy something else even remotely customer friendly? Not to mention is somewhat confusing, and would lead to disappointed people. Frankly this is so self-evident I can't see why people don't get this.

So the simple fact is, that a title like that is an amazingly bad idea.  In fact it's not only a bad idea, it's pretty much pure bad, because doing it that way would really add zero benefit.

How exactly is that a bad thing? What's wrong with more than one version of a given pilot? I mean it seems to me that this is a case of more options being a good thing.

It seems to me they listened to people who were complaining, "How can Poe not be PS9?"   (Uh, FFG hadn't seen the movie yet either), then they saw the movie and went, yeah, that guys a 9.

Wow, quite a bit of hater-ade in this thread.  I'm surprised, I like the title and appreciate the flexibility of having another Poe.

I think the reality is Poe had to be in the TFA core since he was a major character in the movie, and the Core was their tie-in.  And they had to do the black T-70 at some point, and it wouldn't make sense to not give you Poe with that too.  So they could either reprint the same card in two packs or they had to come up with another solution.  Having two different, but equally interesting Poe cards is a pretty good compromise in my opinion.

The title could have been better, sure, but I like what it does and how it fits in the meta as others have stated.  Sure, U-boats are a thing, and it doesn't help you there.  But I expect the U-boats won't always be the flavor of the month, and when they fade, the title will be massive in many matchups.

I am pretty pleased with this pack, and I am a guy who painted my own Poe two weeks after the movie came out.

EDIT: Hell, I like that the title makes it so Omega Leader has at least one ace he simply can't beat.  That alone is worth the card being what it is in my book.

Edited by Hida77