Sign in to follow this  
puak

Any tried Hangar bay Tourney?

I was looking to get into a Hangar bay event coming up and i wondered if anyone here had and what they thought? Did you like it? how was the player turnout? etc. etc. Sorry if this is somewhere else i tried  a search and didn't find one

I played it at the Chicago Hoth Open.

They divided us up into pods of 8 players.  When we confirmed that we had signed up we were given a random sheet with a pod letter and player number.  At each pod there was a main score keeping page that stated which player numbers played which.  The pod was responsible for their own time keeping and score keeping.

You continued to play using the hand out as guidance until one person was 4-0.  We took the page up to the TOs who then gave us a voucher to claim our prizes.  Even though the Hangar Bar events page had an extra prize for someone with one win and win draw they will not let you intentionally draw.  I personally thought this was a bit lame as the only prize is an alt art card.  Why not let the 1-1's draw so both people walk away with a card (especially for an even that is there for a good time with nothing really on the line), but that's my opinion.  The 3-0 person got the fancier card, the 2-1 received a second alt art card, the 1-2 and 0-3 received nothing except for the participation alt card.

Everyone was pretty friendly and laid back during the event.  It was a lot of fun and wouldn't mind seeing this type of even more often at conventions.  It almost functions like a magic draft where the players are self-sufficient, so I wish they would fire off more of them at Gen Con for example.

I organized a 10-person Hanger Bay tournament at my FLGS. It went very well. Everyone really enjoyed the extra meta-level consideration of what list to choose each time.

Personally, I brought a Crackshot TIE swarm and a Dash/Miranda list. I ended up using each list twice over the course of the tournament. Everyone was really agonizing over what to choose to fly against me, which was fun.

One consideration is that a little bit of extra time is needed between rounds for players to read their opponent's two lists and make a decision of what to fly.

Huh, I hadn't realized the hangar bay events used a different format! Looks pretty **** cool, I'd love a thing like that. The only problem I see is that, while the format works best at lower player counts because more time and space is required, those smaller events usually are a gateway for newer players into the tournament scene. Having two different squads is a big burden on new players, even more so when they have to be from two factions (which is optional, but maybe preferable for a better experience).

I am afraid I don't have the community around me to get such a thing together.

One of my local venues is running one this weekend as a team tournament pairing newer players with veteran players. Each player brings one of the two squads, then you proceed to normal Hangar Bay format but fly the selected squad together (dividing ships as evenly as possible between teammates).

awesome guys, thanks. i am defenitly getting in on it then.  this way i can fly wedge or some defenders either way it will be awesome.

I also played at the Hoth Open. Having each pod keep track of its own time made the event move along quickly. Once all players were done, it was on to the next round. Even though some people brought really competitive lists, the overall feeling was very casual. It was a great way to spend time.playing X-wing on Friday after playing in the Hoth Open on Thursday.