Sign in to follow this  
exinfris

Having trouble vs A wing mini swarm

As topic states, I've been flying against a friend of mine's A wing mini swarm. He outfits 4 of them with Crackshot and Autothrusters.

I typically fly Empire or S&V, but none of my attempts at beating his list works.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Inquisitor is great for negating Autothrusters and is a great ace.  You could run him with some TIEs of your own, or a Vader'ed up Doom Shuttle perhaps.  Maybe play with some bombs to control where he flies

Edited by piznit

what's the fifth ship?

now, my solution would be bombs but that's a very rebel solution ATM. maybe bombers with seismics and homing missiles? problem is the gamma squaddie is prohibitively expensive at 27 for homing seismics and extras

palp aces, well flown to avoid blocks (easier said than done, but that goes for both players) will have no trouble but that's IF they don't get blocked. A-wings do love blocking

Do your best to stay within Range 1 to negate the auto-thruster, turret up to negate their speed and arc dodging (but, if they are out of arc, you'll have those Autothrusters to deal with again....)

Edited by nathankc

beautiful opportunity to shine with Echo.

Inqui just works tm and Carnor or Turr for fun.

Carnor Jax — TIE Interceptor 26

Push the Limit 3

Autothrusters 2

Ship Total: 31

"Echo" — TIE Phantom 30

Crack Shot 1

Fire-Control System 2

Intelligence Agent 1

Advanced Cloaking Device 4

Ship Total: 38

The Inquisitor — TIE Advanced Prototype 25

Push the Limit 3

Autothrusters 2

TIE/v1 1

Ship Total: 31

For Empire I've been running:

Palpshuttle

Wampa w/ Stealth Device

Omega Leader w/ Comms Relay, Stealth Device, Juke

Dark Curse w/ Stealth Device

Just can't seem to kill enough before they wipe me out.

Palpshuttle

Wampa w/ Stealth Device

Thank you for using me as a pilot. By the way, try using Interceptor Jax with Hull and Shield mods; Captain Oicunn Decimator with Intimidation, Dauntless, and Ysanne Isard; and the Inquisitor in the Tie Advanced Prototype. That setup should leave you with about 2 points to use as you please.

Try this...

Boba Fett / Adaptability (39)

G-1A Starfighter (23)

IG-88D / Fire-Control System (38)

Bring the hammer to the fight.. A-wings will be almost unless against 9 attack dice and 26 hit points.

A Phantom, particularly Whisper, could almost solo the A-wings (it could if not for crackshot).  Slap FCS and Gunner on there and you'll be pretty much guaranteed significant damage each round.  Since you won't need the PS boost, you could use that slot for something else.

Another fun one would be Oicunn with Adaptability and Vader on board.  You'll need them to take initiative, but it's always fum to ram pesky little ships and you can then use Vader to guarantee damage when needed to finish one off.

Also, multiple arc-dodging aces should be good.  While they may be able to whittle one down with Crackshot, they'll have to expend just about all their crackshots to do so, leaving them with two attack against a highly defensible ship.

what's the fifth ship?

now, my solution would be bombs but that's a very rebel solution ATM. maybe bombers with seismics and homing missiles? problem is the gamma squaddie is prohibitively expensive at 27 for homing seismics and extras

palp aces, well flown to avoid blocks (easier said than done, but that goes for both players) will have no trouble but that's IF they don't get blocked. A-wings do love blocking

Possibly no 5th Ship, if he's gone for Push The Limit or Prockets in there.

Right before the 5x Crack A's became a thing my group hit on 4x Juke A-Wings with PTL.  Less numbers but better action economy and permanent Crack Shot type effect.  Plays very similarly to the 5 As.

Why not just go with a classic Tie Swarm.  No...not a Tie Formation with Howlrunner, but an actual swarm.

"Mauler Mithel" (17)
Predator (3)

"Dark Curse" (16)

"Backstabber" (16)

"Wampa" (14)

"Night Beast" (15)

"Scourge" (17)
Swarm Tactics (2)

Total: 100

These guys should all have PS above the A-wings and can arc dodge.  They all have special abilities that can help out.  You can get at R1 and really blast these guys.  With the higher PS and maneuverability, you should get the jump on the A-wings.  You want to get in close, so that usually negates the AutoThrusters.  Your defense should be good enough to make it hard to kill one of your ships with ease.  If you lose a ship, it's not that big a deal.  

Palpshuttle

Wampa w/ Stealth Device

Thank you for using me as a pilot. By the way, try using Interceptor Jax with Hull and Shield mods; Captain Oicunn Decimator with Intimidation, Dauntless, and Ysanne Isard; and the Inquisitor in the Tie Advanced Prototype. That setup should leave you with about 2 points to use as you please.

What? Why advise people to try builds that are around 17 points over the 100pt limit???

117pts

==================

The Inquisitor (31)

TIE Advanced Prototype (25), Push the Limit (3), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

Carnor Jax (36)

TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Shield Upgrade (4), Hull Upgrade (3)

Captain Oicunn (50)

VT-49 Decimator (42), Intimidation (2), Ysanne Isard (4), Dauntless (2)

I fly 5 greens myself, and it's a great list.

The key to beating it is keeping your flying unpredictable: The greens need to fly in formation and focus fire, in order to bring down a big target with crack, then whittle away the remainder.

This means that if you can outfox one of them, chances are you can outfox them all: fly predictably, and put yourself in a situation where your next move looks obvious, and then surprise them, by doing something else - K-turn, short 1, whatever it may be.

Alternately you can choose to demonstrate early on that you won't be flying linearly, make your opponent double guess your moves, and give them the opportunity to mess themselves up! Whatever you do, don't joust them at range 3, they will mess you up.

Finally, more generally, they dominate when your maneuver options are limited, as they can block, range one, crackshot, whilst affording to take some damage. Nasty little fellas! :D

Omega Leader and Inquisitor are your more reliable options to take down A-wings.

But I imagine one of the problems you're having is the blocking that A-swarms can create. For that, I'd suggest mixing one or two low PS Sienars or Academy Pilots into your list to counter his blocks.

Think of those ships as clearing the path for your aces who rely on their actions. And if you manage to block their A-wings at the same time, that's a bonus too.

Hope that helps.

A close call...

I really don't want to see Howlrunner in the lineup.

You have one more gun than me, but I'm pretty certain I can drop one of your ships very quickly.

We both get our cracks off easily enough, due to PS.

If you let me manage range and engage at range 3, the game swings strongly my way. Unlikely with speed-5 ties, though.

Crits might be decisive against you, a surpring number squirm through with crackswarms, as i'm sure you know! A-wings have the advantage there for sure.

You have to come out of the initial engagement with the advantage, I think, as the superior defence of the A-wing comes more into play in the late game, when we're both relying on 2-dice attack to seal the deal.

I think it might come down to initiative, skill, and crits to be honest...

I think PS gives the TIEs the edge there, the A-Wings are going to struggle ensure they get that Range 3 initial engagement that they're looking for, which means they're probably down at least one ship by the time they come to fire.

I run a 5-TIE high PS Crack Swarm (Howl, Omega, Zeta, Scourge, Black Sqd) and I think the A-Wing matchup is pretty favourable for me.  Literally your only good chance is to somehow get that range 3 turn where you're pointing towards me.

Why not just go with a classic Tie Swarm.  No...not a Tie Formation with Howlrunner, but an actual swarm.

"Mauler Mithel" (17)
Predator (3)

"Dark Curse" (16)

"Backstabber" (16)

"Wampa" (14)

"Night Beast" (15)

"Scourge" (17)
Swarm Tactics (2)

Total: 100

These guys should all have PS above the A-wings and can arc dodge.  They all have special abilities that can help out.  You can get at R1 and really blast these guys.  With the higher PS and maneuverability, you should get the jump on the A-wings.  You want to get in close, so that usually negates the AutoThrusters.  Your defense should be good enough to make it hard to kill one of your ships with ease.  If you lose a ship, it's not that big a deal.  

Sorry, were you talking about the old-school 7/8 tie swarm, chadwick?

Sorry....actually the guys above.