Sign in to follow this  
Olethros

New ships in Rogue One (U-wing and Tie Striker)

Thinking about it some more,  I wonder if this shot from the trailer is taken in the crew/troop compartment of a U-Wing.

CfdPeXbWsAAqvLL.jpg

By the set photo Dr Zoidberg showed, and considering the thrusters had to be similar to the X-Wing and the cockpit similar to the Y-Wing, I conclude that the U-Wing should be about 17m long:

pic3023002_lg.jpg

And if we consider this size comparison of all the ships being around the 17m mark in length, we can draw comparisons from real-world examples.  An AH-64 Apache Longbow Gunship and an UH-1 Huey Tactical Transport Helicopter are 17.73 and 17.40 m in length respectively.  Factoring in that early concept art that shows the U-Wing having an underslung troop compartment; I think it's very likely we're looking at the Star Wars equivalent to a Huey.  Something that's designed to bring troops into a combat zone, perhaps provide some fire support, and get out in one piece.

So, if I'm anywhere near the mark, the question is, how might this equate to a ship in the game?

it25qNQ.jpg

Judging from the people in the pic, I'd say approximately 5m across the engines, which tallies with the 17m length estimated.

Just noticed the dead Stormtrooper at the bottom of the picture, and that the guys in camo-cloaks just above the right-hand-side engines look like they're strapped in for wire work.  Explosion that sends people flying perhaps?

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

If your old enough, it's clear where the u-wing design came from.

_20160517_091757_zpsdcadoaxs.jpg

alliance_fighter_by_nach77-d6a37eu.jpg

1463491239-6.jpg

Is it just me, or does the Systems Alliance starfighter looks a lot like the new Rebel Alliance starfighter?

Personally I think they are surplus from the last war.... with the Reapers....  :ph34r:

And just about every. Single. Cool. Spacefighter design ever

If you look at Cavik Toth's starfighter, it's pretty darn close.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cavik_Toth's_starfighter

commander_shepard_by_donabruja-d58u8nm.j

much as i love my TIEs i do wish we'd get something different for once. The only non-TIE we have is the Firespray (which as we all know is only there because Scum wasnt yet), the Shuttle, and the Decimator which still gives off that heavy TIE vibe. Hell, the Imperial Raider....heh...i gave that ship the nickname "Super TIE Fighter" when i first saw that **** thing. Least the Gozanti is unique.

much as i love my TIEs i do wish we'd get something different for once. The only non-TIE we have is the Firespray (which as we all know is only there because Scum wasnt yet), the Shuttle, and the Decimator which still gives off that heavy TIE vibe. Hell, the Imperial Raider....heh...i gave that ship the nickname "Super TIE Fighter" when i first saw that **** thing. Least the Gozanti is unique.

While also having 4 TIEs strapped to it :P

I really liked the U-wing, but it seems to similar to a X-wing in function terms... The Tie Striker seem to simple for me, i think i'm getting tired of the Tie design... and I am mostly an imperial player..

The Imperials use the cockpit and design around it. I think if it has the TIE name, it's gonna look very similar.

The U-Wing seems indeed like some sort of transport/dropship or /missile/torpedo platform. Much like those transports from the Clone Wars (which had versions that could go in space, as seen in the series) 

The fluff text (although it seems very untrustworthy) seems to suggest it has some kind of swing-wings. (S-Foils are mentioned). With wings spread out for more stability? or tucked in to reduce space during drop-offs?

I guess in the movies it could be used as a sort of dropship for our commando's.

Looks like a large base ship to me. A more agile version of the Lambda, with torpedoes instead of a cannon. 

The Tie-Striker seems a bit redundant. I guess they need the 'new' ships to up the ante on the merch. 

Maybe indeed as a sort of limited edition thing, for those special forces. 

The "why weren't they in the OT movies" answer is going to be that these were mostly atmosphere-based ships and their roles weren't used in the films. IE: the rebels didnt drop off troops on the ground and those special forces were probably on another mission...

I really liked the U-wing, but it seems to similar to a X-wing in function terms... The Tie Striker seem to simple for me, i think i'm getting tired of the Tie design... and I am mostly an imperial player..

The TIE design, is indeed a bit milked out. At some point they will run out of these synonyms of fighter to put behind "TIE"... Much like the rebels will run out of letters...

The imperials are indeed in dire need of some Assault Gunboat...

Although Ralph Mcquarrie is (was  :() as space-ship GOD!

And It makes sense that military ships keep within a similar design-space. (Although the rebels don't design, but rather get what they are given?)

As Sci-Fi fans we are dying for some NEW stuff. Real new! Not sleeker designs of what we already have or tributes to God-Designers! 

That was one of the GOOD things about the prequels. The Naboo fighter, the DROID-fighters, names of ships that WEREN'T letters or tie's. We want more brand NEW!

The tie design is perfection. Why mess with perfection? It's the perfect predator, nasty, ruthless, efficient...

Your post needs less gunboat. Sticking extra wings and cannons on something is the rebel way... Give me tie designs for days!

^ less GUNBOAT? Heresy! BLASPHEMY!!

TIE designs were tired when the Interceptor came out. Let's put pointy wings on it so it can go faster! Um ok... Up till that point ALL TIE designs had weapons on the fuselage, not the wings. Oh well. 1983, you disappoint me.

TIE designs were tired when the Interceptor came out. Let's put pointy wings on it so it can go faster! Um ok... Up till that point ALL TIE designs had weapons on the fuselage, not the wings. Oh well. 1983, you disappoint me.

But pointy bits make it more aerodynamic! 

/sarcasm

Interceptor more gives me a stealth vibe than its actually faster, other than the obvious engine mod so it can boost. In real life, sloped hulls at the right angle can completely screw up radar technology. And we know starwars uses radar technology since the falcon sat on a star destroyer's radar dome thingie.

But pointy bits make it more aerodynamic! 

/sarcasm

Interceptor more gives me a stealth vibe than its actually faster, other than the obvious engine mod so it can boost. In real life, sloped hulls at the right angle can completely screw up radar technology. And we know starwars uses radar technology since the falcon sat on a star destroyer's radar dome thingie.

Actually the Falcon was attached to the bridge tower, just below the sensor domes.

And I doubt a couple of angled wings will do the same stealthy job as all the crazy angles on the F-117 'wobbly goblin'. But...I think TIE wings in general may have something to do with keeping a low profile on sensor returns. The lone TIE that snuck up on the Falcon right before they got scooped up by the DS at Alderaan had already fired and zoomed past before they detected it.

If the satelite dish on the Falcon is related to sensors it'd be logical for it to have trouble picking up enemies coming from behind.

It SW ships use radar technology similar to ours (which I doubt) TIE Interceptor is not much better in stealth regard than a regular TIE and the TIE isn't a good stealth design, unless it uses some special coating or forcefield absorbing radar waves.

If the satelite dish on the Falcon is related to sensors it'd be logical for it to have trouble picking up enemies coming from behind.

It SW ships use radar technology similar to ours (which I doubt) TIE Interceptor is not much better in stealth regard than a regular TIE and the TIE isn't a good stealth design, unless it uses some special coating or forcefield absorbing radar waves.

Even the flat hex TIEs have angled panels that might deflect sensor returns. The /fo has some weird lattice type thing going on with its white painted wing panels, possibly to deflect returns in multiple directions.

But that's just speculation, just like the radiator features of TIEs. Radiating waste heat in a certain spectrum or manner would possibly mask the TIEs signature and help with the stealth aspect. Like I said though, just speculation.

Edited by GrimmyV

I like how the imperial ships are more uniform and standard and the tie design has many versions. Its a nice contrast to the rugged and random look of the rebel faction with their variety of random ships. I know people might be tired of all the tie fighters with different wings but the alternative would be releasing ships that could ruin a good thing. 

Yeah, I spend many a moment admiring the huge solar panels on my Lambda shuttle.

You missed the point, the fighters are uniform, the shuttles are uniform (Lambda and Sentinel) and so are the big ships (Imperial-class, Arquitens, Imobilizer, Venator), but this doesn't imply a Star Destroyer should look like a TIE Fighter just like the Russian BMPT vehicle looks similar to the T-90 tank but not to the BTR-90 APC or Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier.

Also that's why Raider looks stupid.