Sign in to follow this  
Olethros

New ships in Rogue One (U-wing and Tie Striker)

I kinda like the Imperial 'everything is a TIE' theme. I don't know that I'd want to see that broken for the Gunboat.

BLASPHEMY!

The Empire of the current trilogy does seem to be of a one track mind evolution. They take designs from the republic era and streamline them, perfect them, then finally when they find a fit do they mass produce. Interceptors, bombers and Tie LNs are the perfected. I imagine we will see this interceptor Prototype and have seen an advanced prototype. Next possibly a defender prototype? But going in a completely opposite direction such as the Gunboat or Skirap of old doesn't make entirely a lot of sense.

By the set photo Dr Zoidberg showed, and considering the thrusters had to be similar to the X-Wing and the cockpit similar to the Y-Wing, I conclude that the U-Wing should be about 17m long:

pic3023002_lg.jpg

showing it from that perspective makes it look a lot bettr imo (and i didnt dislike it to begin w/ just thoughti t was a little awkward)

That view sure does make it look more massive than the X or Y Wings which a transport of some kind should.

If one wants to go diving into the Legacy EU there was a Y-Wing Shuttle which could hold several people.  With that in mind the U-Wing concept isn't so strange.

****, it's ugly.

Could be worse, I mean we've all seen the disaster of Episode VII...

My mad paint skillz attemp at making it look a bit better:

8M2XASl.png

I hope they designed the ship first and named it U-wing later when they noticed it looks kinda like U, not the other way around, alphabet fighters are one of the most idiotic aspects of the old EU.

That looks way better.

i cant wait for the Jwing.
The outline of a B wing makes a J.

That view sure does make it look more massive than the X or Y Wings which a transport of some kind should.

If one wants to go diving into the Legacy EU there was a Y-Wing Shuttle which could hold several people.  With that in mind the U-Wing concept isn't so strange.

I'm convinced that people in the Star Wars universe are contortionists who are used to travelling in tiny boxes :D

Both concepts are ... different. I can definitely see how the striker would dove tail into the interceptor, and the u wing is this weird halfway house between the y wing and x wing.

With reserve judgment until I see the dials and stat cards!

Is this the standart we hold Star Wars ships to now? How much fun they are in X-WIng? :D

What other standard is there to hold it to :D

Excepting the Gunboat standard.

Edited by avaktor

By the set photo Dr Zoidberg showed, and considering the thrusters had to be similar to the X-Wing and the cockpit similar to the Y-Wing, I conclude that the U-Wing should be about 17m long:

pic3023002_lg.jpg

showing it from that perspective makes it look a lot bettr imo (and i didnt dislike it to begin w/ just thoughti t was a little awkward)
I think that's a little too small for a ship that doubles as a troop transport but otherwise that looks great.

i cant wait for the Jwing.

The outline of a B wing makes a J.

Actually, there was a J-Wing in the Art of the Force Awakens.sw1b.jpg

Which clearly answers the question of "Do they design the ships first or they think of the letter first?"

And now I am glad that I have a K wing from the EU and not whatever these guys were trying to come up with.

The K-Wing looks distincly Tau, as seems to be the consensus around my LFGS. Though to be honest, the J-Wing in that picture looks a lot like something you'd find in EU, probably a scum ship. Kinda surprised it wasn't canon someplace already.

If your old enough, it's clear where the u-wing design came from.

_20160517_091757_zpsdcadoaxs.jpg

alliance_fighter_by_nach77-d6a37eu.jpg

1463491239-6.jpg

Is it just me, or does the Systems Alliance starfighter looks a lot like the new Rebel Alliance starfighter?

Personally I think they are surplus from the last war.... with the Reapers....  :ph34r:

And yes, in the corner you can see concept art for the L-Wing the K-Wing and the V-Wing. With an actual list of

"Used A B X Y"

"Not Used C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Z"

Sorry Dark Empire, you don't exist either. And neither do the prequels, seeing that V-wings 'aren't used yet'...

Their version of the K-wing would probably have been an X-wing with he starboard wings broken off.

The I-wing, just an old school Flash Gordon rocket ship!

Thinking about it some more,  I wonder if this shot from the trailer is taken in the crew/troop compartment of a U-Wing.

CfdPeXbWsAAqvLL.jpg

pic3023002_lg.jpg

And if we consider this size comparison of all the ships being around the 17m mark in length, we can draw comparisons from real-world examples.  An AH-64 Apache Longbow Gunship and an UH-1 Huey Tactical Transport Helicopter are 17.73 and 17.40 m in length respectively.  Factoring in that early concept art that shows the U-Wing having an underslung troop compartment; I think it's very likely we're looking at the Star Wars equivalent to a Huey.  Something that's designed to bring troops into a combat zone, perhaps provide some fire support, and get out in one piece.

So, if I'm anywhere near the mark, the question is, how might this equate to a ship in the game?

If your old enough, it's clear where the u-wing design came from.

_20160517_091757_zpsdcadoaxs.jpg

alliance_fighter_by_nach77-d6a37eu.jpg

1463491239-6.jpg

Is it just me, or does the Systems Alliance starfighter looks a lot like the new Rebel Alliance starfighter?

Personally I think they are surplus from the last war.... with the Reapers....  :ph34r:

And just about every. Single. Cool. Spacefighter design ever.

peg_pers2.jpg

kilrathi_dralthi_concept__wing_commander

If you look at Cavik Toth's starfighter, it's pretty darn close.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cavik_Toth's_starfighter

Thinking about it some more,  I wonder if this shot from the trailer is taken in the crew/troop compartment of a U-Wing.

CfdPeXbWsAAqvLL.jpg

pic3023002_lg.jpg

And if we consider this size comparison of all the ships being around the 17m mark in length, we can draw comparisons from real-world examples.  An AH-64 Apache Longbow Gunship and an UH-1 Huey Tactical Transport Helicopter are 17.73 and 17.40 m in length respectively.  Factoring in that early concept art that shows the U-Wing having an underslung troop compartment; I think it's very likely we're looking at the Star Wars equivalent to a Huey.  Something that's designed to bring troops into a combat zone, perhaps provide some fire support, and get out in one piece.

So, if I'm anywhere near the mark, the question is, how might this equate to a ship in the game?

it25qNQ.jpg

Judging from the people in the pic, I'd say approximately 5m across the engines, which tallies with the 17m length estimated.

With a lot of the speculation and shots of the U-Wing looking to fit something like a troop transport role, my guess for fitting into X-Wing might be something akin to a more aggressive Lambda shuttle, a bit more speedy, bringing a bevy of crew slots and probably kitted with some more support focused pilot abilities.

I'll admit I'm picturing something silly, like a rebel equivalent to a palp shuttle, but with sloops.