Sign in to follow this  
Olethros

New ships in Rogue One (U-wing and Tie Striker)

I really don't like the TIE Striker. It looks like a half assed fan made ship for X-Wing Alliance or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. Everything in the EU, old and new, they have to go pulling designs out of their asses that hardly even look star wars related. It's like some pop singer trying to put their own twist on the national anthem.

The U-Wing, is as badly designed as it's name implies. You know what would of been cool and made for better story telling and added some real depth, if they used old heavily modified LAAT/i's (clone gunships). Just like the Y-Wings, old and with lots of mods and upgrades to keep them going. Give us something to really tie in the OT with the PT. That would make more sense and flow together so much better.

First, you're pronouncing it all badly designed on the basis of a handful of pages stamped all over with "not final."

Second, how would that add "real depth"? And what is "real depth," anyway? Are we getting fake depth instead? And how do you tell the difference?

Not pronouncing all of it badly designed, just those two ships. The TIE Striker could change alot between the concept we've seen and what shows up in the movie. The Striker in it's current form comes off as a fan boy design,

It would add depth by making the universe seem larger, by having more links to the past. By fake depth, I think you mean shallow. That is generally the opposite of depth.  Shallow, or fake depth like a movie with lots of explosions and no story. Like the Transformers movies.

I really don't like the TIE Striker. It looks like a half assed fan made ship for X-Wing Alliance or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. Everything in the EU, old and new, they have to go pulling designs out of their asses that hardly even look star wars related. It's like some pop singer trying to put their own twist on the national anthem.

The U-Wing, is as badly designed as it's name implies. You know what would of been cool and made for better story telling and added some real depth, if they used old heavily modified LAAT/i's (clone gunships). Just like the Y-Wings, old and with lots of mods and upgrades to keep them going. Give us something to really tie in the OT with the PT. That would make more sense and flow together so much better.

Most ships from Xwing Vs Tie Fighter and ships after it from "the imperial era" look exactly like the Striker. So, instead of paying the legal fees to pay off the original maker of the Tie design they instead made a new one pretty close to what was already there.

And then, they made a ship that's pretty close to a Ywing and a Xwing, so much so it's probably supposed to look like chop-job of the two to show the Rebel's limited resources. Honestly, why would they use a clone ship? Are those space capable, hyperspace capable and owned by anyone other than the Empire? (I just looked it up, they are not space capable. That would be a horrible ship to use for the Rebellion. Where would they carry it?)

I'm sorry you didn't get the Star Wars you specifically wanted but your argument is a wet noodle.

Legal fees to the original maker of the TIE design ? LFL/Disney owns the design, they don't have to pay legal fees to anyone for their own stuff.

The Y-Wing is a clone wars era ship as well. Why would they use that ? Because it's common, lots of parts, lots of surplus ships and it's still effective. Just like a real world B-52 bomber. Laat/i's are space capable, but don't have a hyperdrive or a large enough life support to sustain long term space flight. Rebels have plenty of capital ships and large freighters they could carry them on. They would carry them in the same ships they carry X-Wings and Y-Wings, etc. The Empire doesn't use them, they've been phased out of service. Just like the Empire doesn't still use Y-Wings or V-Wings, or ARC-170s, there would be thousands of them and other clone wars era ships/gear on the surplus market they could get.

Disney bought Lucasfilms, it owns all things made under the Star Wars brand and the Star Wars name. However, the writers, designers and artists who made up their own originally concepts within that world still hold a tether of intellectual property rights to that specific design. So while they could never sue or get angry for something close to, or inspired by it, the direct usage of the ship without their consent could cause legal troubles. Seeing as it's Disney, I can imagine a few people holding out for some money in return for that consent.

The Rebel cell on Yavin actually has never shown evidence of having any capital ships. 

It's a difficult situation FFG find themselves in. Most people have lots of ships already, there is no way the game can continue it's current release rate for another 5 to 10 years, so how will they continue to sell more models?

Lifting the points limit is one way.

Another way would be open the market up and to attract more players.  More players = more sales, right across the board.

You would do that by giving the game mainstream exposure and making it more accessible to newcomers.  The first shouldn't be too difficult with the revival Star Wars is currently enjoying in cinema and on TV.  The second is aided by keeping the basic game as simple as possible - raising points limits for competitive play wouldn't help.

That or the design team in Disney can stop being lazy and actually make new ship designs for the next film.

Most ships from Xwing Vs Tie Fighter and ships after it from "the imperial era" look exactly like the Striker. So, instead of paying the legal fees to pay off the original maker of the Tie design they instead made a new one pretty close to what was already there.

And then, they made a ship that's pretty close to a Ywing and a Xwing, so much so it's probably supposed to look like chop-job of the two to show the Rebel's limited resources. Honestly, why would they use a clone ship? Are those space capable, hyperspace capable and owned by anyone other than the Empire? (I just looked it up, they are not space capable. That would be a horrible ship to use for the Rebellion. Where would they carry it?)

I'm sorry you didn't get the Star Wars you specifically wanted but your argument is a wet noodle.

I may be opening up a can of bantha fodder, but in The Force Unleashed there is a MAAT/i, (Medium Altitude Assault Transport / infantry)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Multi-Altitude_Assault_Transport

Edited by NonusLegio

Both concepts are ... different. I can definitely see how the striker would dove tail into the interceptor, and the u wing is this weird halfway house between the y wing and x wing.

With reserve judgment until I see the dials and stat cards!

I gotta say, I love the hell out of the U-Wing's design.

I will say however that the Striker's design could be a touch better if the pod had any struts connecting to the wings. It's fine that it lacks it, but if it had those, it'd look a little better and more TIE like. The long pod is throwing me off too, but that's more interesting than anything else.

Frankly, we've never seen a TIE with all these properties at once. It certainly stands out.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

Man what does it take to please you guys?

I think the answer would be a certain gunboat.

I actually like the U-Wing a lot, and kinda hope to see the wings pivot, since they're referred to as s-foils.

As for the TIE Striker, the way the wings look, I'm hoping that they are on kind of pivot/swing mounts, a bit of wing movement on a TIE design would be an interesting thing to see, maybe a method to just cram even more of them into a small storage space. Moving parts are fun.

Guh, and don't kill me if this was mentioned inside this thread.

Nah, they're WIP, probably not final final, but I'd be surprised if they don't turn out to be pretty **** close. They wouldn't be changing them significantly at this stage. And we've already seen the U boat in the trailer, so we know that's in for sure.

Both concepts are ... different. I can definitely see how the striker would dove tail into the interceptor, and the u wing is this weird halfway house between the y wing and x wing.

Is this the standart we hold Star Wars ships to now? How much fun they are in X-WIng? :D

Is this the standart we hold Star Wars ships to now? How much fun they are in X-WIng? :D

Well, everything we see will be put through the lens of X-wing now...

As for how real it is, Jyn also looked to be in a Y-wing cockpit in the trailer. I thought it was weird, because it seemed to have extra room. Which would match the U-wings cockpit, with the extra room. 

First, you're pronouncing it all badly designed on the basis of a handful of pages stamped all over with "not final."

Second, how would that add "real depth"? And what is "real depth," anyway? Are we getting fake depth instead? And how do you tell the difference?

Not pronouncing all of it badly designed, just those two ships.

So not everything, just everything we've seen.

The TIE Striker could change alot...

Alot?

...between the concept we've seen and what shows up in the movie. The Striker in it's current form comes off as a fan boy design,

How is it more of a fanboy design than the TIE striker, or TIE Avenger, or literally any other TIE?

It would add depth by making the universe seem larger, by having more links to the past.

So you're saying the way to make the universe seem larger is to refuse to introduce anything new?

By fake depth, I think you mean shallow. That is generally the opposite of depth.  Shallow, or fake depth like a movie with lots of explosions and no story. Like the Transformers movies.

Shallow is the indeed opposite of deep. I'm not sure what the opposite of "real depth" is, because it doesn't mean anything. And it especially doesn't mean anything in terms of a fictional universe that talented people are working hard to expand by adding new elements, which you explicitly want them not to do in order to something something real depth.

Edited by Vorpal Sword