Sign in to follow this  
Olethros

New ships in Rogue One (U-wing and Tie Striker)

At least you can put K-Wings in a line, thats going to be difficult with the Us.

you cant put Ks in a horizontal line, which is much more inconvenient for deployment

magnets fix everything, though :P (albeit a bit awkwardly on the K due to its size relative to the peg)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Since the images are a goner, i putting them again. They seem to take a hold of all the star wars news sites at this moment. The first concept art released a year back and posted here by EMEM cleary show the U-Wing as some sort of transport. So it will probably be some kind of tydirium shuttle.

The pics are reposted here:

umgp0euuiejt3xvgtuy5.jpg

Looking  for a wider shot of the firts concept art of the movie is unmistakable: the U-Wing is a Transport ship!

star-wars-rogue-one-concept-art-slice-60

The size seems inconsistent between these two. The concept art looks sized to a single pilot (maybe two) but no room for troops (maybe Ewoks).

The ship in the still from Rogue One looks much larger, with troops standing/crouching in the lower-level holding area. Also some sort of a small turret behind canopy on top.

I really liked the U-wing, but it seems to similar to a X-wing in function terms...

It looks more like a konesayr design to me so the T65 / Z95 style engines seem out of place - then again maybe it's a hasty parts bin special knocked together with whatever was available just for one special mission.

Basically a Rebel ugly :)

I really don't like the Striker

it looks like a Tie Phantom that's really sad because someone stopped building it 2/3rds of the way through

Kind of like the Mining Guild TIE to the standard TIE.  Those monsters.

That's how I see the U-wing. They went to the Chief Engineer and said "Hey, we need a ship that can hold more than 1 person, is faster than a Ywing and has some shields to it."

To which the Engineer said

"...Alright. Bring me my Plasma Saw and Welder."

Edited by CheapCreep

That's how I see the U-wing. They went to the Chief Engineer and said "Hey, we need a ship that can hold more than 1 person, is faster than a Ywing and has some shields to it."

To which the Engineer said

"...Alright. Bring me my Plasma Saw and Welder."

After surveying a hangar full of shot up and broken z95s and Y-Wings

yes

The new x-wings weren't due to arrive for a few months so he needed the space anyway

Edited by Funkleton

I really don't like the TIE Striker. It looks like a half assed fan made ship for X-Wing Alliance or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. Everything in the EU, old and new, they have to go pulling designs out of their asses that hardly even look star wars related. It's like some pop singer trying to put their own twist on the national anthem.

The U-Wing, is as badly designed as it's name implies. You know what would of been cool and made for better story telling and added some real depth, if they used old heavily modified LAAT/i's (clone gunships). Just like the Y-Wings, old and with lots of mods and upgrades to keep them going. Give us something to really tie in the OT with the PT. That would make more sense and flow together so much better.

I really don't like the TIE Striker. It looks like a half assed fan made ship for X-Wing Alliance or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. Everything in the EU, old and new, they have to go pulling designs out of their asses that hardly even look star wars related. It's like some pop singer trying to put their own twist on the national anthem.

The U-Wing, is as badly designed as it's name implies. You know what would of been cool and made for better story telling and added some real depth, if they used old heavily modified LAAT/i's (clone gunships). Just like the Y-Wings, old and with lots of mods and upgrades to keep them going. Give us something to really tie in the OT with the PT. That would make more sense and flow together so much better.

First, you're pronouncing it all badly designed on the basis of a handful of pages stamped all over with "not final."

Second, how would that add "real depth"? And what is "real depth," anyway? Are we getting fake depth instead? And how do you tell the difference?

You know what would of been cool and made for better story telling and added some real depth, if they used old heavily modified LAAT/i's (clone gunships). Just like the Y-Wings, old and with lots of mods and upgrades to keep them going. Give us something to really tie in the OT with the PT. That would make more sense and flow together so much better.

On the other hand, the less said about the prequels the better. With any luck we can all just forget they ever happened.

Most ships from Xwing Vs Tie Fighter and ships after it from "the imperial era" look exactly like the Striker. So, instead of paying the legal fees to pay off the original maker of the Tie design they instead made a new one pretty close to what was already there.

And then, they made a ship that's pretty close to a Ywing and a Xwing, so much so it's probably supposed to look like chop-job of the two to show the Rebel's limited resources. Honestly, why would they use a clone ship? Are those space capable, hyperspace capable and owned by anyone other than the Empire? (I just looked it up, they are not space capable. That would be a horrible ship to use for the Rebellion. Where would they carry it?)

I'm sorry you didn't get the Star Wars you specifically wanted but your argument is a wet noodle.

Edited by CheapCreep

First, you're pronouncing it all badly designed on the basis of a handful of pages stamped all over with "not final."

Second, how would that add "real depth"? And what is "real depth," anyway? Are we getting fake depth instead? And how do you tell the difference?

The Fake Depth feel less STAR WARS and more 40K'ish... VERY BAD!

One could call that crap ACE WING!

:rolleyes:  :huh:  :angry:

Any shift towards 40k is bad.. IE.. increasing point for tournament play is a prime example of driving people away

It's a difficult situation FFG find themselves in. Most people have lots of ships already, there is no way the game can continue it's current release rate for another 5 to 10 years, so how will they continue to sell more models?

Lifting the points limit is one way.

Since the images are a goner, i putting them again. They seem to take a hold of all the star wars news sites at this moment. The first concept art released a year back and posted here by EMEM cleary show the U-Wing as some sort of transport. So it will probably be some kind of tydirium shuttle.

The pics are reposted here:

umgp0euuiejt3xvgtuy5.jpg

Looking  for a wider shot of the firts concept art of the movie is unmistakable: the U-Wing is a Transport ship!

star-wars-rogue-one-concept-art-slice-60

The size seems inconsistent between these two. The concept art looks sized to a single pilot (maybe two) but no room for troops (maybe Ewoks).

The ship in the still from Rogue One looks much larger, with troops standing/crouching in the lower-level holding area. Also some sort of a small turret behind canopy on top.

Judging just on its looks I wouldn't expect a Lambda class Shuttle to able to carry an entire Rebel strike team but it does. Same with the U-wing. The schematics clearly shows there's adequate space on the underside of the ship to carry at least a small strike team.

Any shift towards 40k is bad.. IE.. increasing point for tournament play is a prime example of driving people away

It's a difficult situation FFG find themselves in. Most people have lots of ships already, there is no way the game can continue it's current release rate for another 5 to 10 years, so how will they continue to sell more models?

I think their current model works perfectly fine for continuing the game for X number of years. As you said, most people already have plenty of ships, so why would lifting the point limit have any effect. 

FFG just has to make the new product appealing for those that already have plenty of ships. And it seems to be working based on the number of complaints about lack of certain upgrades available to certain factions/ships. 

The U-Wing seems indeed like some sort of transport/dropship or /missile/torpedo platform. Much like those transports from the Clone Wars (which had versions that could go in space, as seen in the series) 

The fluff text (although it seems very untrustworthy) seems to suggest it has some kind of swing-wings. (S-Foils are mentioned). With wings spread out for more stability? or tucked in to reduce space during drop-offs?

I guess in the movies it could be used as a sort of dropship for our commando's.

Looks like a large base ship to me. A more agile version of the Lambda, with torpedoes instead of a cannon. 

The Tie-Striker seems a bit redundant. I guess they need the 'new' ships to up the ante on the merch. 

Maybe indeed as a sort of limited edition thing, for those special forces. 

The "why weren't they in the OT movies" answer is going to be that these were mostly atmosphere-based ships and their roles weren't used in the films. IE: the rebels didnt drop off troops on the ground and those special forces were probably on another mission...

I really liked the U-wing, but it seems to similar to a X-wing in function terms... The Tie Striker seem to simple for me, i think i'm getting tired of the Tie design... and I am mostly an imperial player..

The TIE design, is indeed a bit milked out. At some point they will run out of these synonyms of fighter to put behind "TIE"... Much like the rebels will run out of letters...

The imperials are indeed in dire need of some Assault Gunboat...

Although Ralph Mcquarrie is (was  :() as space-ship GOD!

And It makes sense that military ships keep within a similar design-space. (Although the rebels don't design, but rather get what they are given?)

As Sci-Fi fans we are dying for some NEW stuff. Real new! Not sleeker designs of what we already have or tributes to God-Designers! 

That was one of the GOOD things about the prequels. The Naboo fighter, the DROID-fighters, names of ships that WEREN'T letters or tie's. We want more brand NEW!

As Sci-Fi fans we are dying for some NEW stuff. Real new! Not sleeker designs of what we already have or tributes to God-Designers! 

That was one of the GOOD things about the prequels. The Naboo fighter, the DROID-fighters, names of ships that WEREN'T letters or tie's. We want more brand NEW!

Eh, I'm not so keen. I referenced it before, but to me it's like watching a WWII movie. I don't want to see made up new vehicles, I want to see my favourite vehicles kicking ass in new ways. I'm not bored because it's ANOTHER movie about Spitfires and Mustangs and Bf109s and Zeros, I'm excited because I get to see those cool vehicles in awesome new scenes.

I'm still happy to see the U-boat and TIE Striker, but what I'm hoping is that they're new ships developed for new roles. Being planetary landing and troop transport, and aerial interdiction respectively, and the reason we don't see them at Yavin, Hoth or Endor, is because those roles never occur. Like the TIE Striker could be the counterpart to the Airspeeder used by the rebels at Hoth. An Imperial T16.

Another way would be open the market up and to attract more players.  More players = more sales, right across the board.

You would do that by giving the game mainstream exposure and making it more accessible to newcomers.  The first shouldn't be too difficult with the revival Star Wars is currently enjoying in cinema and on TV.  The second is aided by keeping the basic game as simple as possible - raising points limits for competitive play wouldn't help.