Sign in to follow this  
IG88E

3x Onyx-Defenders with Stealth Device - A new threat in our local meta

3x Onyx-Defenders with Stealth Device has a lot of power. With the white K-turn you do not neccesarily need a PS bid to have enemies in arc. Free evade, focus action and 3 agility combined with 6 hitpoints.

I assume we will meet a lot of them at future tournaments.

Yeah, 3 onyx w/ hull + X-7 is even better.  Its a **** good squad that basically has no bad matchups.  Crackswarm can kill one, but that's it.  U-boats can maybe kill one, but also maybe not (depends who has initiative).  Aces can definitely kill one, but if you kill one ace, you win on time.  Not a hard hitting squad, but frustratingly hard to kill!

A very good anti-alpha-strike  list for sure!

Edited by blade_mercurial

Yes against U-boats I have seen them rushing forward with the 5 straight sitting in front of you with each evade and focus. 4-K-turning next round, again staying there with focus and evade. Scary

I confess, I see that you could have two of these things and still have 34 points left over, and my first thought is, "That would be a perfect spot for ATC Adaptability Vader with an Engine Upgrade."

Or the inquisitor with a rocket in his pocket or Soontir with targeting computer or fully loaded carnor Jax, etc.

Turns out Imperials can do a lot in the mid 30s

I'm just waiting for Imp Vets. I'm super excited. My list is below. I think it will provide some great counters to many things out now and provide overall balance.

Countess Ryad — TIE Defender 34
Push the Limit 3
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II 1
TIE/x7 -2
Ship Total: 36

Glaive Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender 34
Adaptability 0
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II 1
TIE/x7 -2
Ship Total: 33

The Inquisitor — TIE Advanced Prototype 25
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
TIE/v1 1
Ship Total: 31

Total: 100

pft

you give me one game with 3 stealth deltas, and I'll see them all summarily one-shot

I'll be flying them, of course

Seven hits (past the evade) and four dice? Haha.

I have only one attack that can possibly consistently do 7 damage in one turn.

I have a hard time getting excited about massed x7s. They just don't have the offense to make my enemies tremble in terror before me. 30-odd points for a 3-dice attack is going to take some time to kill things. You've got to at least give them Predator or something.

2x Glaives predator x7 (35 each, 70 total)

1x ogp palp baffle (30)

Seems pretty hot.

Also I'm basically never a fan of stealth device (even on Soontir *gasp*). If you want to spend 3 points use hull or upgrade them to Glaives with crackshot or vi.

The only ship that really gets much use out of stealth device is Soontir because of token stacking. I would give it a shot on these guys for the same reason. You will get some mileage out of them with a focus + evade and a white K-Turn.

I have a hard time getting excited about massed x7s. They just don't have the offense to make my enemies tremble in terror before me. 30-odd points for a 3-dice attack is going to take some time to kill things. You've got to at least give them Predator or something.

2x Glaives predator x7 (35 each, 70 total)

1x ogp palp baffle (30)

Seems pretty hot.

I dig it.

Also one thing i'd like to point out:

Stealth Device = no Twin Ion Engines Mk2.

Defenders are one of the most painful ships to stress out if they dont have that card. They literally cant do anything but go straight to destress without it. The moment you run into a stresser and you have Stealth Device, youre in trouble.

Found that out the hard way when i just barely clipped a Debris field. No damage, but got stressed, and literally only way i could get rid of it and not get wrecked was to blast off at max speed and hope i could find a way back before my other ships got wrecked. Needless to say, my opponent took advantage of the absence of my defender and obliterated my other ships, since ~40pts decided to just leave the area.

Figured it was just a fluke so i left my stealth device on. Faced a Tactician user, my stealth device evaded the damage but i still get stressed. That royally shafted me for the exact same reasons as the debris field. I had to leave the area to destress, which let my other ships get wrecked.

Moment i put TIE Mk2 on there that issue vanished almost completely.