Sign in to follow this  
harry_S

Question about Modder Skill in Special Modifications Book

OK, so on page 33 is the Modder talent tree. I keep reading the resourceful refit and I am not getting this 15pt talent. I get that it lets you recover some cost but what, like a few hundred creds at most? Am I missing something? Does it let you replace failed mods?? 

Edit: Should be talent, not skill.

Edited by virtusx

It lets you reduce the cost of the new attachment by whatever the value of the attachment you're breaking down is.

So say you don't like the Light Blaster Cannon on your ship and want to get something more powerful. You use the Resourceful Refit to remove and break down the Light Blaster Cannon, and then you're using the parts to basically piece together and find/outright trade (since you still need to make a check against rarity) and get something like a Quad Laser Cannon for 4,000 credits less.

It lets you reduce the cost of the new attachment by whatever the value of the attachment you're breaking down is.

So say you don't like the Light Blaster Cannon on your ship and want to get something more powerful. You use the Resourceful Refit to remove and break down the Light Blaster Cannon, and then you're using the parts to basically piece together and find/outright trade (since you still need to make a check against rarity) and get something like a Quad Laser Cannon for 4,000 credits less.

More importantly. You are building up that retrofitted hangar bay on your freighter, trying to reach the fifth mod, you fail that check, need to get rid of that attachment to try again with a new one. That's 25,000 credits worth of attachment saved. Try to mod it again to max for basically just a few thousand credits. 

In theory, this also lets you recycle lightsaber crystals into other lightsaber crystals.

In theory, this also lets you recycle lightsaber crystals into other lightsaber crystals.

Interesting point.

Allowing it would alleviate some of the stress/concern/worry about a PC failing those higher difficulty checks to squeeze out those last couple mods on those crystals with 4 or more modification options given that most 'saber-monkeys tend not to overly favor Intellect (Soresu Defenders being a big exception).

Of course, it then becomes a matter of if the FaD PC hands the crystal off to a PC with the Modder spec to be recycled, does it still constitute a "personal weapon" for the FaD character and thus have the appropriate perks still apply, like adding their Force Rating to checks to add mods?  I'd say no, but that's something a GM will have to decide for themselves.

Interesting point.

Allowing it would alleviate some of the stress/concern/worry about a PC failing those higher difficulty checks to squeeze out those last couple mods on those crystals with 4 or more modification options given that most 'saber-monkeys tend not to overly favor Intellect (Soresu Defenders being a big exception).

Of course, it then becomes a matter of if the FaD PC hands the crystal off to a PC with the Modder spec to be recycled, does it still constitute a "personal weapon" for the FaD character and thus have the appropriate perks still apply, like adding their Force Rating to checks to add mods?  I'd say no, but that's something a GM will have to decide for themselves.

I just realised how fun it would be to play a Armourer/Modder or Modder/FSE

Interesting point.

It would still be subject to rarity though. But I agree it would a GM call and I would lean toward no as well.