Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Custom Card League: Submit your entries now!

You've got it in your flavour text: the V-wing is a light Clone Wars era swarm craft. It's not a 21 point ship.

It's also definitely not Rebel: it saw extensive Imperial use (even in the new canon) before the TIE fighter was a thing and became Scum later on, but not Rebel.

Edited by Blue Five

Sweet!   Thanks Mangipan!

I guess I post here and say FINAL?

MBB1uCt.jpg

I like it, R2D2s scummier version.  Can't do it every round like r2d2, but could pair it with outlaw tech on a jumpmaster and have a focus for the rounds you use it.

I might almost make it 2 points instead of 3.  R2D2 can theoretically be used every round if you want, and can be used when stressed.  This one can be used at most every other round (so half as often) and against a stress control list wouldn't work at all.

I dunno, I might put Scrap Dealer and R5-M1 on 4-LOM and regenerate shields while dishing out stress!!

You've got it in your flavour text: the V-wing is a light Clone Wars era swarm craft. It's not a 21 point ship.

It's also definitely not Rebel: it saw extensive Imperial use (even in the new canon) before the TIE fighter was a thing and became Scum later on, but not Rebel.

The A-Wing was also an extremely expensive, rare craft.

It costs 15-17 points, and is used in swarms of 5 or more.

I'm also working on something special for the V-Wing. Like a sort of cross-faction ship, that every faction can use. Cause if scum can use it, i fail to see why Rebel can't. Problem being, Imperial V-Wings are very, very different than Rebel/Scum V-Wings, in that they lack astromech slots and other differences. I'd have to create individual titles and custom pilot cards for every single faction, and that's a lot of work. So i started with Rebel, and for this contest, i'm rolling with Rebel.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

We all came up with different stats too. The other and I both went with 4 health (bu diffeent shield/hull distribution) I gave it 3 agility (hard to pin down), he gave it 4 attack, you gave it 5 health. I gave it barrel roll and a system slot, you both did evade and tech slot instead (to be fair, tech didnt wxist when I made mine)

Yup, I think it should definitely have a different and unique stat-line then the X-wing (although I'm leery of a 5 agility cloak). I see the 4 attack because it has heavy laser cannons (which have 4 attack), it was known to be a direct upgrade in firepower from the standard T-65, and on the more mechanical standpoint, the Phantom set a precedent for 4 attack, 2 agility, and 4 hitpoint cloaking ships which I think is a solid baseline (although to be fair, as the only cloaking ship, that isn't a very big precedent to set).

For the upgrade bar, I can see it being torpedoes or bombs, and tech or systems.

Have there been any custom ships for Rebels that aren't StealthXs? (Mine is based off of LotF, FotJ, and XJ3 wings in case anyone was wondering)

I submitted a chiss clawcraft for rebel.  And Razgriz25thinf's v-wing.  Don't recall if there's others.

That's funny, I considered making a Clawcraft (although mine was Imperial) :lol: Great minds think alike I guess :lol:

We all came up with different stats too. The other and I both went with 4 health (bu diffeent shield/hull distribution) I gave it 3 agility (hard to pin down), he gave it 4 attack, you gave it 5 health. I gave it barrel roll and a system slot, you both did evade and tech slot instead (to be fair, tech didnt wxist when I made mine)

Yup, I think it should definitely have a different and unique stat-line then the X-wing (although I'm leery of a 5 agility cloak). I see the 4 attack because it has heavy laser cannons (which have 4 attack), it was known to be a direct upgrade in firepower from the standard T-65, and on the more mechanical standpoint, the Phantom set a precedent for 4 attack, 2 agility, and 4 hitpoint cloaking ships which I think is a solid baseline (although to be fair, as the only cloaking ship, that isn't a very big precedent to set).

For the upgrade bar, I can see it being torpedoes or bombs, and tech or systems.

I'm not too worried about the 5 agility cloak since:

a) You can already do it as scum in the starviper with the cloaking device (I've flown it quite a few times now)

b) You don't have ACD.  With ACD I could see 3 agility + cloak being too good, but without it, you have to give up your attack to use it.

I also like the idea of the statline being different from the phantom (just cause I like to have varied statlines).  I can see the arguments for 4 dice attack, I just feel like the less 4 dice native ships end up in game the better.

Tech or system I'm fairly indifferent too.  If mine gets voted in, we'll have a system slot (unless it's decided to change it in the next round of discussion/balancing), if one of the ohters gets voted in, we'll haev a tech slot.  Or none of them get voted in and it doesn't matter :P.  Though comms relay could be good with SPA for the cloak...

Have there been any custom ships for Rebels that aren't StealthXs? (Mine is based off of LotF, FotJ, and XJ3 wings in case anyone was wondering)

I submitted a chiss clawcraft for rebel.  And Razgriz25thinf's v-wing.  Don't recall if there's others.

That's funny, I considered making a Clawcraft (although mine was Imperial) :lol: Great minds think alike I guess :lol:

I actually ahve both rebel and imperial versions (same stats, just different pilot abilities and generics), I just submitted the rebel version cause I wanna fly Jag as rebel and it's a bigger difference from existing ships for rebel than it is for imperial.  For imperials it basically just becomes another option or two for imperial aces.

Which is another reason why i made my V-Wing rebel. Because there were no other Rebel craft. And i very much would like a competent, high-damage rebel arc-dodger.

I posted my Raven's Claw fully rebel expansion. I for one am in a camp that doesn't want Interceptor style playing coming out from the Rebellion any time soon.

It's nice to have options.  Doesn't mean you have to play it, but for people tha want it.  I have an imperial preybird expansion  that I built for as imilar reason.  heavy fighter for the empire

I posted my Raven's Claw fully rebel expansion. I for one am in a camp that doesn't want Interceptor style playing coming out from the Rebellion any time soon.

Well.... good thing none of this is official.

As far as real, competitive X-Wing goes, i 100% agree with you. Rebels and Imperials have their own neat, special tricks, i say let each faction keep them. But, i wouldnt mind a Rebel arc-dodger, if i'm honest. If this expansion was real, i'd buy it and play with it.

But i figured this custom stuff was a chance to see what a Rebel arc-dodger would look like. And i love the V-Wing. So i figured, why not.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

Wait.... i see your game...

If the V-Wing, and the Clawcraft are out.... that's two entire entries gone that no longer stand between you and being voted in....

I see you. I'm watchin' you, buster.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

Muahaha!

I wasn't attacking either of your guy's designs by the way, I agree that the game should have options but even in custom I love the feel that every faction has it's own type of ship that works for it's particular group in a particular way. I actually find it funny in terms of design that the two most viable ships that make sense for the Rebellion to have as arc-dodgers were imperial at one point.

I will however be voting for an imperial ship that isn't really arc dodger- lower health because I think the Imperials need a really cool new flavour in their design. As for Scum, I believe they desperately need something small and dodgy as well as something small based with those amazing Salvaged Astro's riding point.

I'm also working on something special for the V-Wing. Like a sort of cross-faction ship, that every faction can use. Cause if scum can use it, i fail to see why Rebel can't. Problem being, Imperial V-Wings are very, very different than Rebel/Scum V-Wings, in that they lack astromech slots and other differences. I'd have to create individual titles and custom pilot cards for every single faction, and that's a lot of work. So i started with Rebel, and for this contest, i'm rolling with Rebel.

New canon it's a KSE commercial fighter that the rebels strip down to make fast. It's pretty much a newer model Delta-7.

Old canon it's a Rebel homebrew which is pretty much a tiny hull with weapon systems and two giant engines strapped on. There's been no incarnation in which it's been anything like the StarViper, which is an expensive and rare starfighter. Being either modified commerical fighters or assembled in clandestine rebel factories does not make a for a state of the art superfighter.

What I'm getting at though is there's no way the V-wing is a 3 dice ship. Making it three dice is completely unfaithful to the lore behind it.

Cause if scum can use it, i fail to see why Rebel can't.

Same could be said of the Scyk, Kihraxz, Jumpmaster, G1-A, Firespray, YV-666 and even the Aggressor and StarViper, although they're pricier. Scum's ships are all readily available, moreso than the V-wings.

Sure, they could use it. But they don't.

EDIT: Some alternate V-wing mockups.

vxQVMaj.jpg

Imperial model, name chosen for continuity: this is the precursor of the TIE fighter in combat role after all.

lIW9NS1.jpg

Scum version, comes with some scummy upgrade slots. Should be able to do something nifty with those.

j63cOpu.jpgi9KHMuc.jpg

Two upgrade cards, one to provide the Empire with the Q7 without giving them R2-D2 or Salvaged Astros and to flavourfully add the System slot. Putting it on outright didn't look right. One guess what the Assault Refit is based on.

1jHGfU3.jpg

Example dial. Went for a sort of mid point between the Z-95 and TIE fighter: it can pull most of the slow moves and can access the fast ones for stress.

Edited by Blue Five

New canon it's a KSE commercial fighter that the rebels strip down to make fast. It's pretty much a newer model Delta-7.

Old canon it's a Rebel homebrew which is pretty much a tiny hull with weapon systems and two giant engines strapped on. There's been no incarnation in which it's been anything like the StarViper, which is an expensive and rare starfighter. Being either modified commerical fighters or assembled in clandestine rebel factories does not make a for a state of the art superfighter.

What I'm getting at though is there's no way the V-wing is a 3 dice ship. Making it three dice is completely unfaithful to the lore behind it.

Same could be said of the Scyk, Kihraxz, Jumpmaster, G1-A, Firespray, YV-666 and even the Aggressor and StarViper, although they're pricier. Scum's ships are all readily available, moreso than the V-wings.

vxQVMaj.jpg

Imperial model, name chosen for continuity: this is the precursor of the TIE fighter in combat role after all.

lIW9NS1.jpg

Scum version, comes with some scummy upgrade slots. Should be able to do something nifty with those.

j63cOpu.jpgi9KHMuc.jpg

Two upgrade cards, one to provide the Empire with the Q7 without giving them R2-D2 or Salvaged Astros and to flavourfully add the System slot. Putting it on outright didn't look right. One guess what the Assault Refit is based on.

1jHGfU3.jpg

Example dial. Went for a sort of mid point between the Z-95 and TIE fighter: it can pull most of the slow moves and can access the fast ones for stress.

The imperial version there is literally a worse tie fighter.  Same statline (albeit 1 shield instead of a hull, so if you take a crit ad no hits first, it could help), no barrel roll, same cost, arguably worse dial.  The title at least lets you get something different I suppose, but..

And for scum, you have an identical statline to the scyk, with worse actinos (no barrel roll or TL), though oyou at least gain a couple upgrade slots and 1 PS for the same cost.  I'm not convinced if that would make it worthwhile though...

Edited by VanderLegion

vxQVMaj.jpg

lIW9NS1.jpg

j63cOpu.jpgi9KHMuc.jpg

1jHGfU3.jpg

I'm not saying you're not wrong about the lore. While i would argue the 3 attack(i mean, really, 4 laser cannons that swivel for higher accuracy, each cannon individually as powerful as an individual A-Wing cannon, so effectively it has twice an A-Wing's firepower), the great thing about this custom card league is that i dont have to CARE about the lore. I see very little good in giving ANOTHER 3-dice-arc dodger to the Imperial camp(of which how many of those have we seen submitted thus far?), and Scum already had a V-Wing submission. No, Rebels needed the submissions to spice things up. I 100% agree that if the V-Wing as it is now belonged anywhere it'd belong in the Scum camp. 

Incoming made-up lore: Having paid for a tip-off from a local sympathetic scavenger, a Rebel Alliance cell came across a relatively well preserved Clone Wars-era bunker filled with Republic technology and weapons, including an entire Venator-Class Star Destroyer with a full load of V-Wings, ARC-170s, and Eta-2 Interceptors. While many were not in functioning condition, after having sat in 20 years of nonexistent maintenance and oxidation, a large number of V-Wings and Eta-2s- and 2 or 3 ARC-170s -survived. They scrapped the nonfunctioning fighters in okay condition, used the parts to fix the broken ones in good condition, and sold the rest, using the funds to modify the fleet of V-Wings to modern Alliance standards: a hyperdrive, life support systems, an updated astromech slot, and missile launchers.

I've already had to make up 2 pilots. Why not.

Also.... yeah. It's a TIE Fighter that's worse. A TIE fighter without barrel roll. Despite it being lore-accurate that V-Wings were, in general actually superior craft over the TIE Fighter in terms of their agility, firepower, and how well and tough they were built, and just as fast as a TIE Fighter.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

Yea, in lore atleast, the only things the TIE had over the V-wing was speed (but less maneuverability and acceleration), and cost (the V-wing costed about the same as an X-wing I believe).

As for ARC-170s, I have one of those! I'll post it in a bit after I can get on my computer with the cards.

Yea, in lore atleast, the only things the TIE had over the V-wing was speed (but less maneuverability and acceleration), and cost (the V-wing costed about the same as an X-wing I believe).

As for ARC-170s, I have one of those! I'll post it in a bit after I can get on my computer with the cards.

Cool! You can be a part of the totally-real-and-not-fanon lore too!

The ARC-170 is also Imperial.

I'm not saying you're not wrong about the lore. While i would argue the 3 attack(i mean, really, 4 laser cannons that swivel for higher accuracy, each cannon individually as powerful as an individual A-Wing cannon, so effectively it has twice an A-Wing's firepower), the great thing about this custom card league is that i dont have to CARE about the lore. I see very little good in giving ANOTHER 3-dice-arc dodger to the Imperial camp(of which how many of those have we seen submitted thus far?), and Scum already had a V-Wing submission. No, Rebels needed the submissions to spice things up. I 100% agree that if the V-Wing as it is now belonged anywhere it'd belong in the Scum camp. 

Incoming made-up lore: Having paid for a tip-off from a local sympathetic scavenger, a Rebel Alliance cell came across a relatively well preserved Clone Wars-era bunker filled with Republic technology and weapons, including an entire Venator-Class Star Destroyer with a full load of V-Wings, ARC-170s, and Eta-2 Interceptors. While many were not in functioning condition, after having sat in 20 years of nonexistent maintenance and oxidation, a large number of V-Wings and Eta-2s- and 2 or 3 ARC-170s -survived. They scrapped the nonfunctioning fighters in okay condition, used the parts to fix the broken ones in good condition, and sold the rest, using the funds to modify the fleet of V-Wings to modern Alliance standards: a hyperdrive, life support systems, an updated astromech slot, and missile launchers.

Also.... yeah. It's a TIE Fighter that's worse. A TIE fighter without barrel roll. Despite it being lore-accurate that V-Wings were, in general actually superior craft over the TIE Fighter in terms of their agility, firepower, and how well and tough they were built, and just as fast as a TIE Fighter.

I'd say being faithful to the ship you're designing is part of the challenge: sure, you could design an Agility 1 TIE avenger but nobody'd think it's a sensible design for that ship. If you want to fill a 3/3/2/2 design space for the Rebel Alliance you'd need to find a ship that fits that. The V-wing isn't justifiably a 3 die ship.

While i would argue the 3 attack(i mean, really, 4 laser cannons that swivel for higher accuracy, each cannon individually as powerful as an individual A-Wing cannon, so effectively it has twice an A-Wing's firepower),

Are you sure you want to make the (gun barrels) = k(attack dice) argument?

The V-wing does not outgun an A-wing 2:1. That's ridiculous.

Also.... yeah. It's a TIE Fighter that's worse.

That's what a V-wing is. Sure, it's shielded but hardly to the level of a GCW era fighter. You could make it a 2/3/3/1, but then you're making a TIE/fo that's worse. Make it 2/3/2/2 and you've made an A-wing.

The V-wing's problem is it exists in the 12-16 design space, which gives it next to no room for maneuver: making a ship that's equal or a hair better than the Scyk, TIE fighter and Z-95 is incredibly difficult. Then when you have the TAP and TIE/fo crowding the space just above it's a ship that's spot has been taken. Specifically, taken by the Scyk: they could have made it a V-wing and it would have fit the stats perfectly (title aside).

Despite it being lore-accurate that V-Wings were, in general actually superior craft over the TIE Fighter in terms of their agility, firepower, and how well and tough they were built, and just as fast as a TIE Fighter.

You'll have to cite that. There's a small number of people who seem to think the V-wing is some sort of high-spec interceptor. It's not, it's the earliest of the Republic/Empire's mass produced, minimalist swarm craft. No life support, no hyperdrive, both the old and new canons describe it as pretty much a pilot pod with guns and engines strapped on.

Edited by Blue Five

Star Wars fans and Xwingers! My next submission is for a forgotten ship, for a ship that Fantasy Flight might have all together forgot was in their game, a ship with no love on any side. The strange cousin of the imperials:

The Imperial Firespray.

FINAL SUBMISSION:
Cheapcreep

So, the Imperial Firespray has been stood up recently by it's Scum pal. The latter being a much more fitting place for Boba Fett and Kath, both with amazing abilities. However, this does not mean when should abandon our dear Firespray! No! We should look to the Lore for it's saving!

tumblr_o7pdhbmz221vuhrgho5_r1_250.jpg

Used in Old Canon and New Canon as a security forces ship, the Firespray is the Dodge Charger of the Star Wars world. It's a mean ship used by law enforcement agencies. Another tool used by Law Enforcement, is the Tractor beam! A wonderful cannon about to find a home with the Defender but still so much more useful outside of it. Thus, I give you this title: You lose your action, but you can Tractor a Tokenless ship! Amazing! Problem? You're probably tokenless yourself. Luckily, this can be fixed by Krassis or PTL or Experimental Interface! 
With Defenders getting a Tractor beam shot for free in their fix, I think a 5 point for a tokenless shot is heavy handed enough.

Next up:

tumblr_o7pdhbmz221vuhrgho3_250.jpg|

Moving with the theme! Law Enforcement, a stressful thing to see in any battle. They will act as a type of protector Rebel Captive to ships around you, making you the target most likely of attacks. Luckily, you could also have this:

tumblr_o7pdhbmz221vuhrgho2_250.jpg

The name shows my opinion of the original missed opportunity that countermeasures were. You can now equip them, have them stocked with Extra munitions, and keep that modification slot for some other goodie! (Funny enough, allows use on Bombers, Ywings, Kwings and possibly even a Sabine crew'd ship)

tumblr_o7pdhbmz221vuhrgho1_250.jpg 

This is if you want to keep that Bomb slot for the more traditional Proxy mine, and possible a nod to my favourite Firespray pilot, Emon. This is a the Accuracy corrector of Mines, this expert doesn't send out duds.

tumblr_o7pdhbmz221vuhrgho6_250.jpg

Not giving all the love to Emon, Kath on the Imperials gets the weapon she needs. This could allow her to get a total of 3 stress on 1 target with her ability, this attack and Tactican! You might say 3 stress in one attack is too much, but it's Kath, she honestly has nothing else going for her at all. This is at 4 to avoid Defender usage and could be useful on low agility ships... maybe.

tumblr_o7pdhbmz221vuhrgho4_250.jpg

Finally, kind of a joke card. Boba and Kath were calling it in when they worked for Imperials, not giving them their full go and keep the best abilities for Scum activities. However, if you're working for the Government, might as well charge them extra, and if they go for it, why not put in a bit more effort? This is practically paying you Firespray pilot to preform better and paying for their expendable. 

Edited by CheapCreep

They look good but need some refinement. A lot of it is phrasing which as Bab said can be sorted out later as long as the intent is clear.

Potential issues are Oovoo Security Patrol, which allows Activation phase stressing when paired with Tactician (something FFG avoids as the Hand Your Dial to your opponent effect isn't meant to be one the opponent can trigger) and Rapid Fire Cannons is more of an NPE/power issue: it's a stressless Stresshog at R1-2. FFG made Tactician limited to stop mass stress stacking.

The ARC-170 is also Imperial.

I'd say being faithful to the ship you're designing is part of the challenge: sure, you could design an Agility 1 TIE avenger but nobody'd think it's a sensible design for that ship. If you want to fill a 3/3/2/2 design space for the Rebel Alliance you'd need to find a ship that fits that. The V-wing isn't justifiably a 3 die ship.

While i would argue the 3 attack(i mean, really, 4 laser cannons that swivel for higher accuracy, each cannon individually as powerful as an individual A-Wing cannon, so effectively it has twice an A-Wing's firepower),

Are you sure you want to make the (gun barrels) = k(attack dice) argument?

The V-wing does not outgun an A-wing 2:1. That's ridiculous.

Also.... yeah. It's a TIE Fighter that's worse.

That's what a V-wing is. Sure, it's shielded but hardly to the level of a GCW era fighter. You could make it a 2/3/3/1, but then you're making a TIE/fo that's worse. Make it 2/3/2/2 and you've made an A-wing.

The V-wing's problem is it exists in the 12-16 design space, which gives it next to no room for maneuver: making a ship that's equal or a hair better than the Scyk, TIE fighter and Z-95 is incredibly difficult. Then when you have the TAP and TIE/fo crowding the space just above it's a ship that's spot has been taken. Specifically, taken by the Scyk: they could have made it a V-wing and it would have fit the stats perfectly (title aside).

Despite it being lore-accurate that V-Wings were, in general actually superior craft over the TIE Fighter in terms of their agility, firepower, and how well and tough they were built, and just as fast as a TIE Fighter.

You'll have to cite that. There's a small number of people who seem to think the V-wing is some sort of high-spec interceptor. It's not, it's the earliest of the Republic/Empire's mass produced, minimalist swarm craft. No life support, no hyperdrive, both the old and new canons describe it as pretty much a pilot pod with guns and engines strapped on.

Um....

"does not outgun an A-Wing 2:1"

I mean....it does. It literally does. Not figuratively, not exaggerating. A-Wings pack 2 light laser cannons, V-Wings pack 4 rapid-fire light laser cannons. The V-Wing literally does outgun the A-Wing 2:1, if not more considering the higher rate of fire. The V-Wing has 4 light laser cannons; in Age of Rebellion(which i mention below), that translates to 5 damage per hit, Linked 3. Linked means that with a sufficient amount of Advantage, you can deal the same damage of an attack that many additional times. The A-Wing is 5 damage, Linked 1. So with just the basic stats of the ship, the V-Wing does in fact outgun the A-Wing by double; 20 from the V-Wing, 10 from the A-Wing. It also outguns the TIE Fighter, which packs medium laser cannons. Damage 6; but still only Linked 1. 20 damage max from the V-Wing, compared to 12 damage max from the TIE Fighter. It's the difference between the 24 max damage of an X-Wing, and 20 damage max of a V-Wing; which is a much, much smaller gap than the 10 damage gap between it and the A-Wing.

The V-Wing is a very justifiably 3 dice ship.

"That's what the V-Wing is"

um....

No. It's.... it's not. The TIE Fighter was a direct downgrade in nearly every area with the exception of cost per unit and pure top speed. Sturdy hull, shielding, heavier firepower, superior mobility, advanced targeting systems, and actually better engines. The V-Wing just weighed more than the TIE Fighter and thus was slightly slower in top speed, but drastically outperformed it in acceleration. All this is stated in the Stay on Target Age of Rebellion book and more. Since i don't feel like getting banned for posting it's stats, let just say the V-Wing has a equal hull and better mobility than an X-Wing, higher damage output, system strain, and equal shielding to an A-Wing, and equal speed to a TIE Defender.

The only reason TIE Fighters are used and not V-Wings is that V-Wings cost double that of a TIE Fighter. Individually, a V-Wing is a better craft, but it costs 100,000 credits(brand new, used price of a V-Wing is about 70,000) compared to the 50,000 of a TIE Fighter.

There. I cited it. And it comes from an official FFG source, not from wookiepedia.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf