Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Custom Card League: Submit your entries now!

CUSTOM CARD LEAGUE SEASON 1

Dogfight_in_the_Clouds-EotE_Core.png

Vote on custom pilots and upgrades!

Have you ever had an idea for a ship, upgrade, or pilot card for X-wing?  A fix for your favorite ship, perhaps, or a cool pilot from the books that didn’t make it into the game?

Now is the time to make your cards a reality!  (On Vassal, at least)

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

TLDR version:

Start submitting custom cards now, on this thread or over on the equivalent thread on reddit (going up soon).  Use this form, or submit card images, with the words 'FINAL SUBMISSION' clearly visible so I know it isn't a first draft.  We’ll be doing ships first, then upgrades and unique pilot cards after we know which 4 ships we’ll be creating.  

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The first X-Wing Custom Card League starts now.  We’ll be developing the rough equivalent of one wave worth of X-Wing content: ~4 Ships, ~15 unique pilots, and ~20 new upgrade cards, all submitted, developed and voted on by members of the community.

To make the final cut, each card will undergo two rounds of development and voting (summarized below).  

First, the participant submitting the card will need to complete and submit a standardized submission form or submit an image of the card, with the words 'FINAL VERSION' in the post.  Participants may submit any number of cards.  Ship submissions will also need to include the ship’s dial.  These first-round submissions will be collected into one public document for review, and will be voted on over the course of one week.  Participants may give each submitted card an up/down/neutral vote.  The score of each individual card will be:  ((upvote - downvote)/total votes). The top-scoring 4 ship cards, 15 pilot cards, and 20 upgrade cards will proceed to the next round.

To submit an entry, make a post here with in the format of the standard forms, or images of the cards. Ship submissions require generic pilot cards and maneuver dials. Since the plan is to have a vassal tournament at the end of this, only small and large - based ships will be considered.

swx31_preview3.jpg

In the second round of voting, each card may be adjusted by any participant, and re-submitted for voting.  For example, there may be a crew upgrade that was originally submitted with a cost of 5 squad points, but you may feel it should actually cost 6 squad points.  You could submit a 6-point version of the card for the second round of voting.  These submissions will be collected in the same way that the first-round submissions were, and participants will have be able to vote for their favorite version of each card from the first round of voting.  The most popular variant of each card will move forward.  

After all the cards have been voted on, the winners will be subject to a brief final review; in certain cases, some cards may need another round of development, or minor adjustments.  For example, if two ‘fix’ cards are created for one ship, I may decide to make the two cards mutually exclusive (the way the TIE/D and TIE/X7 titles are), preventing both fixes from stacking and obviously overpowering a ship.  

The final version of each card and ship will be implemented in a extension to the X-wing vassal module.

Although the development process will be the same for all cards, we’ll be starting on ships first, because we’ll probably want to develop upgrade and pilot cards for those ships.  After the first round of voting on ships, (with generic pilots only), there will be one more week to submit upgrades and pilots for voting.  Here's the timeframe for the Custom Card League:

EDIT: Updated voting Schedule

Second-round custom ship voting will start on June 20 and end June 25.

Second-round custom upgrade and pilot voting will start on June 30 and end July 6.  The deadline for second-round pilot and upgrade submissions is 11:59pm EST June 29.

After all ships have been finalized and implemented in Vassal, we will begin a Vassal tournament!

Every squad in the tournament must include at least one custom card.  This could be an upgrade card or pilot.  While there must be at least one custom card in every list, but you may include as many custom cards as you like!

The winner will receive one small ship of their choice with a custom paintjob!

I know we'll see a lot of creative and fun submissions.

Some card-making resources:

Mathwing, by MajorJuggler

Strange Eons - Card creating software, which has an X-wing package

Season 1 Ships:

Season 1 Pilots:

card_pilot_sedaya3_by_odanan-da5l04m.jpg   

Edge-Front-Face_zps6ggkhcwi.jpg

tumblr_o8h6e1pzgg1vuhrgho2_400_zpsslpgs3

rAFxFpX.jpg

card_pilot_xeal5_by_odanan-da5kzuh.jpg

card_pilot_noble5_by_odanan-da5kzst.jpg

GPb8RgV.jpg

5f6ad3d1bf494a4858eef35a19f8b4c6.png

27914483081_3b4cccb4a5_z.jpg

Season 1 Upgrades:

pasted%20image%200%2010_zpsvwbcfc5v.png'

pasted%20image%200%205_zpsl3hx9cjt.png

JayHawk-Front-Face_zpsrgqiuohj.jpg

27711071320_9934892d2e_z.jpg

cartel_zpsrw9mkevm.png

pasted%20image%200%203_zpsuq3pkdus.png

pasted%20image%200%202_zpstry8e1sb.png

pasted%20image%200%201_zpsdsljqd12.png

pasted%20image%200%204_zps9fikuvwd.png

pasted%20image%200%208_zpsbnwz1x2o.png

tumblr_o87eb3fzfT1vuhrgho1_250_zpsaowwc9

pasted%20image%200_zpszbxgkcvf.png

pasted%20image%200_zpsasi1vifs.png    

Edited by Babaganoosh

So is this thread replacing the one we have been posting items on, or can we consider what we put there as submissions.

I've been considering cards on the other thread as not final; I'd appreciate you reposting here with your final versions.

I don't understand the point of "Piggy's" ability...

His pilot ability lets him wait until after the enemy has modified their dice to decide whether or not he should spend tokens modifying his dice.

So for example if he's shooting a tie fighter and rolls three blanks, he can wait until the tie rolls their green dice, and spends focus or evade tokens before Piggy decides to use a target lock or focus tokens. If the tie tolls three natural evades, then piggy holds onto his tokens. If the tie blanks out, piggy spends his tokens to push damage through.

#1 entry: Assault Gunboat expansion. * FINAL VERSION *

x_wing_miniatures_assault_gunboat_custom

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_ x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_ x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_

References:

- Dial is a mix of X-Wing T-65 with Y-Wing. As the PC games, the ship if hard to dodge enemy fire (1 agility dice), but easy to maneuver. 

- Noble Calder was a pilot (commander?) of the Veerpal squadron (a squadron that used mainly Assault Gunboats)

- Xeal was a colleague of Mareek Stele's. Could be renamed as "Killer's Eyes".

- Eagle Squadron and Rho Squadron used Assault Gunboats and featured the PC games. 

- Alpha Strike was inspired by that FFG's Gunboat image and it works very well with the ship (if you combine missiles with cannons).

- Imperial Reinforcements upgrade can be refined, but the idea is to deploy the ship later in game: a reference to the imperial reinforcements from the X-Wing PC Games quadrilogy. 

- Expanded Magazines is another reference to the increased loadouts you got sometimes in the TIE Fighter PC game.

- removed the torpedo slot for the ships and made an useful upgrade card.

This shows the various builds and distinct roles the Gunboat can perform:

x_wing_miniatures_game___assault_gunboat

(montage with edited Mel's miniature)

Edited by Odanan

Final Submission.

24001321319_f903ae408c_z.jpg

Edit: 

Dial: same as YT-1300

Generics: Already has Outer Rim Smuggler. 

Wait, what am I worried about, you submitted an X-wing, duh.

I like it. Pairs well with the new falcon title too.

Final Submission.

26926153412_967f341b49.jpg

Dial: Same as TIE fighter

Generics: as TIE fighter

Sabine seems horribly broken. Anything that lets you stress a ship after it's set it's dial but before it's moved is way too OP. "Oh, you dialed a red maneuver? Sucks for you, you're going off the board instead."

Nice touch with the bomb upgrade though :P

Edited by VanderLegion

Final Submission.

Nciss-class Clawcraft full expansion.  Imgur Album

Dial:

lEFEBaj.png

mAbtIp4.png

First generic.  not completely sold on the cost, but I think it's close enough to do a first round submission with (These cards are straight out of my submission to the reddit custom ship contest, where it came in second by 1 vote).  Compared to a PS3 tie interceptor, it's got an extra hull and a shield, an arguably better dial (slower turns, which can be good or bad, but adds sloops if you aren't stressing every round).  Same statline as a StarViper with slightly different actions but a built in system slot (tech slot ewnt in since it's from the same timeframe in the EU as the t70 and tie/fo are in TFA) and compared ot the 25 point (overcosted generic), +2 PS.  24 prevents you from taknig 4 with autothrusters.

w5eVm7x.png

Second generic, a fairly common +2 points for +2 PS.  Debating an EPT here, but for now I'm fine without it.  Maybe on a PS6 in an aces pack ;), the PS5 generic EPTs seem to be a mostly scum thing.

0b814hS.png

First Unique pilot: 2 PS, an EPT and a pilot skill for 4 points.  Leaves her 1 point cheaper than a similar Xizor. Same cost as the PS5 guri.  The PS works similar to Juno's.  You dial a turn, you can choose to change it to a bank in the same direction and speed.  Dial a bank, you can do a turn in the same direction or a straight at the same speed.  Dial a straight, can change it to a bank in either direction.  Non-red qualifier means you can't change a turn to a sloop or a straight to a k-turn.

gUuQiz7.png

The Ace.  Same cost as xizor, couple points more than Fel.  Son of Soontir, Nephew of Wedge and a fantastic pilot in his own right, if anyone deserves to be added as a new PS9 pilot, Jagged does.  His ability gives him action economy like many of the PS9 aces do, but with a rebel flavor of being able to help himself or an ally.  

Upgrades

99M1W5u.png

If it's gonna have a system slot, gotta have a new system upgrade!  Systems like action efficiency (free TLs from fcs, pre-maneuver actions from advance dsensors, stopping stress with baffle to still get actions, etc).  This one kicks in whenenver you either don't have a shot or miss your attack, giving you a bonus free action.  Could be used to TL an enemy ship for next round or reposition for better maneuvering.

wkJv1su.png

Bit more hesitant about this one now, but I'll go ahead and submit it anyway.  When I created this upgrade, Guidance Chips didn't exist, so it might be a bit too OP now.  Idea is the same as the outrider title.  Equip an ordnance upgrade, then get unlimited ammo, but at the cost of having no primary weapon.  This gives you stronger attacks (potentially 5 dice at range 1 if you wanted to go with prockets or advanced proton torpedoes!) but the downside of not being able to attack at all ranges (prockets or APT mean no range 2-3 attacks, others mean no range 1).  Probalby best on a high PS ship (like Jag) where you can reposition to get the right range for your attcks.  It's also vulnerable to bumping and stress, since no action means no TL or focus to fire (though other ships in the list could help with that).

UmgMSnp.png

The game needs an upgrade to add the barrel roll action.  What more needs to be said?  On ships with native boost like the a-wing and the above clawcraft, you have to decide whether you'd rather gain the BR or take autothrusters for defense.  Hard choices are always good right?

28spK40.png

1 point disposable EPTs are always fun.  Gain a 1-round boost to either move first in the activation phase or shoot first in the combat phase.  Gotta be careful if you do it for movement, since the stress means you get no action if you don't do a green (or have a way to cancel/ignore the stress for an action).

Edit:  The clawcraft could easily be made as an imperial ship as well.  I went with rebel because it's so similar to existing imperial ships, and I like it as rebel personally :P (was building it based on the NJO when they were assisting the NR/GA/Whatever it was called that day, so it made sense as a rebel ship).

Edited by VanderLegion

Final Submission

yONWdcu.png

Based on the character from Lost Stars.  his ability reflects his ability to fly through small spaces that people didn't think he could make to avoid crashing.  Basically when he bumps, he can instead choose to fly past to the opposite side of the bumped ship(s) (even if it takes him past where the original maneuver would have ended) instead of moving backwards.  Still considered touching so they can't shoot each other, but he still gets an action.

Wouldn't mind a bit of discussion on this one bfeore I finalize the submission, I just made it the other day and haven't worked through all the possibilities yet.  Havne't had time for any real number crunching or testing, so feel free to make suggestions.  Still needs another named pilot and some upgrades.

Mandalorian Fang Fighter

Basically, scum need a true interceptor style ship.  The fang fighter (from Protectors of Condord Dawn in Rebels season 2) seems like the perfect ship for it.  (Some spoilers here)  Super maneuverable, quick little ship, able to keep up with a-wings.  Only downside being as far as I can tell from wookiepedia description, it'd probably only be 2 attack dice (I'd faaaaar prefer it to be 3 base attack, 2 is just so weak for an ace  :().

Dial

0MmnT49.png

The ship is supposed to be super maneuverable and able to pull off maneuvers other ships can't  Tried to reflect that with having the 1-troll as well as the sloop, + the green turns.  The downside being that if you fly it like an interceptor, it's usually going to have PTL and be stressing every round, emaning it won't get to take ADVANTAGE of the trolls or the sloops unless you have a way to deal with the stress (some kind of upgrade with the pack maybe?).

The Pilots

bhzBayy.png

Scum likes it's PS3 generics.  Tried to keep the cost similar to a-wings, since the statline is about the same, albeit with different actions.  A Green Squadron is 17 points (after refit) and gets 2 EPTs with the title.  Figure that's worth knocking a point off.  Same cost as a Sienar Test Pilot in the TAP.  The STP is 1 PS lower, but also has a title it can take to get action efficiency.  Cost could change up a point or two here if needed.

jIG3VcI.png

Another standard for scum: Second generic goes up to PS5 and gains an EPT.  Made it 3 points more.  makes it the same cost as a non-refit Green, or 2 points more than a refit green for +2 PS.  Seems fair.   Similar to above, same rice as the 1 PS less TAP. Again, could modify points by 1 or 2 if needed.

nzUgw6M.png

Only 1 ace atm.  Scum need a good PS9 small ship ace as much as the need an interceptor.  (More spoilers) Fenn Rau managed to shoot down Hera, so seems fair to make him higher PS, and going by his backstory, seems to be quite the good pilot.  Way more evidence there to make him a PS 9 than there is for talonbane cobra...

His ability mostly reflects my desire to have 3 attack primary :P.  Basically you can spend your focus to change eyeballs if you have them, or get an extra hit if there's no eyeballs.  Or use mindlink or manaroo to get multiple focuses and do both :).

Just one card, so uncomparable to previous posts.

Still it is something I've tested and it works fine for TIE Interceptors, especially non-elite pilots who already have more use for Royal Guard title.

FINAL SUBMISSION:

TIEin.png

EDIT - added limits to the PS value. "Final" to include bonus from VI or Adaptability. Perhaps not too nice, but it is meant for weaker - mid level pilots, not the best of the best and Fel is already good enough.

Edited by Endobai

UmgMSnp.png

The game needs an upgrade to add the barrel roll action.  What more needs to be said?  On ships with native boost like the a-wing and the above clawcraft, you have to decide whether you'd rather gain the BR or take autothrusters for defense.  Hard choices are always good right?

Yes; yes; a thousand times yes.  I've been very puzzled why such a modification hasn't shown it's face yet.  So many pilots would love to have the option to BR.

#2 entry: TIE Hunter expansion. * FINAL VERSION *

x_wing_miniatures_tie_hunter_custom_ship

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_ x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_torpedo_

References: 

- Dial is a mix between the TIE Interceptor and the X-Wing T-70 (the TIE Hunter was supposed to be a counter/clone to the X-Wing).

- Tam Blackstar was an imperial ace, and the villain from the Onslaught at Arda I (and Rogue Squadron III?).

- Captain Shale was the Commander of the Storm Commandos. Not necessarily a pilot, but since the Storm Commandos used TIE Hunters, and there is no other named piloted to be found, I used him.

- The Dark Blade Squadron used TIE Hunters.

- The Opened/Closed S-Foils dual upgrade card can be refined, but explores this feature for both the X-Wings and the TIE Hunters.

- The Linked Cannons card was inspired by the computer games and is useful for ships with cannon upgrade.

Edited by Odanan

Submission Form: Upgrade

Author: Narcoleptic

Name: Stimpak

Type: Modification

Upgrade text: At the start of the Activation Phase you may discard this card to remove up to two stress tokens and discard one faceup damage card with the Pilot header.

Cost: 2p

To start things off; here's one pilot card I'll be putting in:

FINAL SUBMISSION:

Voort-Piggy-saBinring-Front-Face_zpsn2ak

I think piggy's cost should be 28 as he has a really good ability.

You might be right, but I think that the cost is about right, given the reference points of Luke and Porkins above and below Piggy in cost. The true cost may be somewhere in-between.

StealthX pack

uKSsEXJ.jpg?1

2CgUSdc.jpg?18pzyQoj.jpg?1

0junojk.jpg?1

4OX7KXQ.jpg?1br3XnXM.jpg?1Bwlx3Be.jpg?1es77vTn.jpg?1

It uses a standard T-65 X-wing dial.

So the StealthX was based off of the T65XJ3 X-wing design. The XJ3 boasted heavy laser cannons, a 3rd torpedo launcher, heavier armor, and stronger shields. The StealthX stripped the shields down to very light shielding, and removed the heavy armor plating. It replaced the 3rd torpedo launcher with sensor defeating technology, and the hull was painted with a reflective black substance, so while the StealthX didn't actually have a cloaking device, it essentially had the capabilities. The downside was you couldn't fire weapons if you wanted to remain hidden, and you couldn't communicate with other ships. The Jedi negated this problem being able to semi-communicate through the Force. The Jedi were also known for loading bombs inside the torpedo tubes. One such bomb was a Baradium bomb (known as Shadow Bombs). It was essentially a proton torpedo were they replaced the targeting computer and engine with extra explosives. They would use the Force to propel the bomb towards the target, and unless the target was force sensitive, they wouldn't know they were being attacked by it until it was to late. R9s were known for being extremely cautious, and also have large self-preservation routines.

Edited by YwingAce

Awesome job so far, guys!  I'm really pleased to see so many cards already!  Keep it up!

So for the packs people are submitting, I'll be taking the ships+generic pilots, Unique pilots, and upgrades as separate entries.  Since it wouldn't make sense to have upgrades limited to ships that don't make the final cut in voting, I'll exclude any pilot or upgrade entries specific to ships that don't end up making the cut after the first round of voting.  

The 4 custom ships that make the cut in the first round of voting will be implemented (in some form) in the final vassal extension.  That round of voting happens before upgrade and pilot card submissions are due, and we'll know for about a week before the first round pilot/upgrade deadline what those four ships will be.  When I collect the entries for pilot and upgrade cards on June 6, that's when I'll exclude the pilots and upgrades specific to custom ships that will not be in the vassal extension.  By 'specific', i mean pilots flying custom ships that will not be implemented, or upgrades that have the text ship x only for ships that will not be implemented.  Upgrade cards submitted alongside custom ships that are not voted in, but are playable without that custom ship will be entered into the voting documents.  Also, you'll have about a week to adjust pilot and upgrade cards for the final 4 custom ships that will be implemented; I'll only collect the submissions after the deadline is passed (so you can edit your posts up to that point and have the changes carry through).  

This is all to make sure that we have the maximum number of playable cards at the end of this process. It'd be a shame if a card we can't use took the place of one that we could use in the vassal extension.

Edited by Babaganoosh