Sign in to follow this  
theninthguardian

Advice against Palp Aces?

With some variant of Palp Aces winning the last two Open tournaments (and it being a really good list even before then), I'm expecting to see POW and U-Boats all day at the Regional I'm going to next Saturday.

I feel like I have a decent handle on how to deal with Jumpmasters, but I need help on how to counter Palp Aces. Phantoms especially have always been my kryptonite.

Any tips or tricks that people have, other than harnessing my latent psychic ability and getting in my opponent's head?

With some variant of Palp Aces winning the last two Open tournaments (and it being a really good list even before then), I'm expecting to see POW and U-Boats all day at the Regional I'm going to next Saturday.

I feel like I have a decent handle on how to deal with Jumpmasters, but I need help on how to counter Palp Aces. Phantoms especially have always been my kryptonite.

Any tips or tricks that people have, other than harnessing my latent psychic ability and getting in my opponent's head?

You don't need to be psychic. If your opponent is using plastic dials you can distract your opponent and use one of those small dental mirrors to peek at his dial.

Depends on the variation, but if it's fel, Vader and shuttle, focus fire on Vader if you can

He dies much easier than fel, then focus all attention on the shuttle

If it's a wampa, omega, inquisitor, again focus fire a ship fast.

By doing this your opponent will likely use emperor before wampa shoots.

I tend to try for omega or the Inquisitor.

If it's whisper and omega, that I'm not to sure of.

It's the one I've been using and won a store championship with it

So far the only thing I've lost to with it is my buddies list which had veteran Instincts jax, and fel

Haven't faced this variation yet, but so far I've beaten the other ones with the tactics I suggested

But I was also flying Imperial as well, so I had no feedback and I didn't have Vader

Actually one game I have chiro with Vader, and gunner and it made short work of fel, jax, and the palmobile

However with all that said some lists just won't do well against it, so all depends on what your using

There are some bad match-ups

Edited by Krynn007

I was looking at either Brobots or 4 Blue Squad T70s with R2s and IA.

The latter was meant to be a simple squad that would keep my brains intact over the course of a tournament, but I worry about it being able to keep squirrelly aces in arc, though if it did they'd be in real trouble.

I was looking at either Brobots or 4 Blue Squad T70s with R2s and IA.

The latter was meant to be a simple squad that would keep my brains intact over the course of a tournament, but I worry about it being able to keep squirrelly aces in arc, though if it did they'd be in real trouble.

Iggy's B & D, each with Atanni Mindlink, FCS, HLC, Feedback Array, Autothrusters, IG-2000.

Start every game with a fortress. Place them in your starting zone facing forwards, next to each other and touching. When you do hard 1's into each other they won't move at all. When you want to break out, the inner one can do a one bank and the outer one can do a 3 bank and they won't bump.

Turn after that you could probably do a Hard turn Segnor with one and a 1 straight with the other. Probably both have shots, and they both will have FCS locks and mindlink focuses.

Green red, red green, green red, etc. Pretty easy to fly and I'm sure their jousting efficiency is nuts assuming you always have FCS and focus.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

True, but I've been running a baffled doomshuttle recently, and being able to park that beast for a few rounds makes it pretty scary. It also leaves enough points for two horrible aces...

==================

The Inquisitor (34)
TIE Advanced Prototype (25), Push the Limit (3), Proton Rockets (3), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

“Whisper” (41)
TIE Phantom (32), Agent Kallus (2), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Omicron Group Pilot (25)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Electronic Baffle (1), Darth Vader (3)

Yeah, it's great to put the handbrake on at range three for maximum arc coverage, and let its teammates do the heavy lifting. Alternately you can wedge the ... hang on* ... opelescent astral manatee between two asteroids and create a road block of pain.

One thing that's a little different is that you don't necessarily want the shuttle being a bullet sponge, as you do with the 24pt version, for two reasons: firstly, it's so much better! It keeps in arc turn after turn, can be used for board denial much more effectively, and doesn't have that old ADHD problem of wandering off, never to be seen again, right in the middle of a pitched battle. Secondly of course, the thing is more flakey, what with up to three self-inflicted damage a round!

Before, I'd crit a shield if need be, just to wring as much juice out of it asap, but now I'd be likely to leave it for next round, and just eat one damage to stay in place instead. Remember, unlike the doomshuttle 1.0, you're also getting actions while parked, which makes for quite a nasty gun emplacement.

*http://codepen.io/geordan/full/quneg

I ran a BroBots list today which I really liked that I'd imagine it would perform well vs Palp Aces

A Mindlink

HLC

Title

FCS

Feedback Array

AT

No extra range 3 dice rarely without focus on both and arc-Dodgers get close you can hurt them. FA is worthless vs most other lists.

get 6 z 95s with feedback array and a few missles thrown in fun list

kill Soontir then vader then the shuttle.

That's some pretty bad advice

Ive never seen that work

Killing Vader is much easier than fel.

Fel usually has SD, and 4 greens dice

On top of that can turtle up and have two focuses and evade

Vader on the other hand, has 3 dice, is usually using his first action to target lock, Leo him with 1 action left, so not only does he have less agility, but less defense tokens as well.

Much easier time to get dmg through.

After which go for shuttle and kill it asap.

If I had to turn my back to 1 ship it be fel.

Turn your back on Vader and you'll not hit fel anyway, and get reamed by Vader.

Then you'll realize I should go for Vader but now your not all full strength and he still is

Game is now lost

Krynn's advice is the worst advice ever. Never leave Soontir to last. He should be priority one.

Well let's see how that goes for Ya.

My way seems to work very well.

When I lose its because I went for fel or shuttle

When I win it's because I did it My way.

Which I believe Paul heaver said the same thing.

(actually Paul did just that in the world's, he ignored fel and went right for Vader)

So let me ask, what do you do when you unload on him, and he evades everything, but smokes you that turn.

Next turn he still has full health ships and your no longer at full health.

You keep chasing him?

Say what Ya want but I've beaten it numerous times using my method, when your method has cost me the game

So if what I suggested has worked against numerous opponent flying basically the same thing, I fail to see how that is bad advice.

Maybe that's why people have a hard time beating it

They get tunnel vision and go for fel.

Going for fel from the get go is bad idea

If you can take Vader off the board fast, which is much easier to do than fel, you can then focus everything in that shuttle

Once it's dead fel is much easier to deal with

Try go for the shuttle from the start and you have two aces kickin Ya in the teeth

Edited by Krynn007

You suggest leaving Fel to the end game, Krynn.  Which is exactly what Fel wants.  It's playing into his hands.

Vader isn't as maneuverable as Fel, and has worse defense.  He can wait.  The Shuttle has terrible manueverability, and you get half points if you score just five hits against it.  It can wait.

Fel, on the other hand, gets strogner the longer the game goes on, because once you start losing ships (and shots) he becomes increasingly difficult to take down.

Your best chance to take Fel down is when you have all of your ships on the board, and can get multiple shots on him.

Maybe your tactic of ignoring the most potent threat in the list and leaving possibly the biggest end game beast in the game to the end game has worked for you, but it's still the worst advice ever.