Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

Crew options on Whisper. Kallus feels....nonsynergistic..(that might be a word)

I've been using kallus on Whisper... And I realised why I often forget he's even there.

He doesn't make sense. I never use him.

If I'm not getting shot at...I have a focus for offense...then...pop..whisper gets another one for defense.

If I am going to get shot at I have either the focus or an evade.

So...kallus only.working against one enemy ship seems...wrong.

I wonder if I would get better use from tactician or a rebel captive or something.

What am I not seeing about this kallus card?

Kallus does two things. First, he helps protect against concentrated fire from your opponent: you often won't need to spend a focus token on attacking or defending your target, so you have an "extra" focus token hanging around to modify defense dice against other ships.

Second, he helps open up your action economy by reducing your reliance on the focus action. Evade and barrel roll can both be very effective, depending on the game state, and if you have Kallus you can use them much more freely.

I've found him to be kinda hit and miss, which is usually about where 2 point upgrades fall.  Rebel captive is a little more reliable but I've had many a game where it did nothing for me as well.  I'm liking intel agent myself right now, gunner's still alright but I think all are pretty solid options.

Kalus was a card for a meta that had already passed. As for synergy it doesn't depend much on what you pick but what your opponent has for their squadron. In the 2 ship point fortress meta Kalus would have been a good card as he could simply negate half of your opponent's squadron. However the meta shifted to more of a 3-4 ship meta and Kalus became the meta changer that was too late to the party.

Edited by Marinealver

I still find Kallus more useful than most of the other 1-2 point crew options. His efficiency with FCS means I rarely have to spend my focus on attack, as I'm often only hitting one eyeball after rerolls anyway. If I do, on defence, it means I'm less likely to get shot at (double focus tokens generally tend to put people off even trying), or at least even more likely to survive. Against PS9+ aces, it's an insurance policy against bad defensive rolls (and we all know how often they can happen).

It's no Gunner/FCS combo, but I wouldn't say it has no synergy. 

Kalus was a card for a meta that had already passed. As for synergy it doesn't depend much on what you pick but what your opponent has for their squadron. In the 2 ship point fortress meta Kalus would have been a good card as he could simply negate half of your opponent's squadron. However the meta shifted to more of a 3-4 ship meta and Kalus became the meta changer that was too late to the party.

Very good point. In a 2ship meta Kallus is easily undercosted. In a 3-4ship meta he is OK (probably not the best crew choice) and in a swarm meta he is all but useless. Sounds like a well designed card that fills a certain niche to me.

A situational 2pt card, imho. Meta shifts all the time, right now useful against e.g. Ghost, the most dangerous Scout in the opposing Scum, Dengar, Corran, Tel, Imp Aces, etc. Physiological/mindgame aspect as well by marking one of your opponent's ships, this probably affects both player's target priorities.

I've tried using Agent Kallus, but I didn't really like him. He came in handy a few times but he was mostly a waste of points, in my opinion. I tend to play aggressively, so the ship I targeted with Kallus was usually the first ship I went after and killed. Once that ship is dead, Kallus is worthless.

For me, Tactician has been a bit more useful because it allows me to take shots at Range 2 rather than always trying to force the Range 1 shot.

I think those who say he's no good

In a 3-4 ship meta are wrong

Yes the more ships your opponent has the less effective he can be, but he's still pretty potent against 3-4 ships.

3 ships or less is the sweet spot,but still can do well against 4

It's above this number I find he becomes less value

4 or more ships and your likely out ps your opponent, so you get to recloak before he attacks.

Give you a better chance to arc dodge, leaving less ships to fire

In my experience it seemed to do less against swarms.

There just too many

Same idea with the emperor

Vader crew.

Super ballsy! I love it!

That's not balls, that's suicide. But I may have to actually test it to see if it's worth losing half your hitpoints to force a potentially devastating crit in.

He is very useful in situations where Whisper is facing PS 10+ pilots (or PS 9 with initiative).  Then you can Kallus that ship, take an evade as your action (+Palp).

That being said.  Rebel captive, intelligence agent or gunner (if you have the points) are also very good crew on Whisper.

RC is dumbly overpowered, IA s good because he lets you dive into the GLORY DAYS of whipster

ang gunner is weird o_o

Well I suppose it depends on how you play against swarms, doesn't it?

Name Howlrunner, snipe her out, and suddenly you've got Whisper versus a load of TIEs. And we all know how well 2 dice attacks work against 4 greens + tokens.

The real trick is being able to snipe her out without getting shot in the face by every single other Crackshot wielding ship on the table, which is why the rest of your list needs to be able to disrupt the formation etc.

Agent Kallus has been indispensable for my Whisper play (I think I have some results-based credibility now).  If you don't need Kallus, it's generally a match up that Whisper can mop up anyway.  Kallus is a safeguard against high PS ACD counters.  Take an evade action, and if you have Palpatine available, you'll have 3 evades 86% of the time.

He sure fits in real nicely in a 'huge' ship, though.

Played through the campaign that came with the Gozanti, and had him target the enemy 'wing leader' each mission.  Paid out nearly every.  single.  round.

In a regular tournament, though...I dunno.  Better options abound...

Well I suppose it depends on how you play against swarms, doesn't it?

Name Howlrunner, snipe her out, and suddenly you've got Whisper versus a load of TIEs. And we all know how well 2 dice attacks work against 4 greens + tokens.

The real trick is being able to snipe her out without getting shot in the face by every single other Crackshot wielding ship on the table, which is why the rest of your list needs to be able to disrupt the formation etc.

Not against two omega Squadron leader and four blacks

Agent Kallus pretty useless

Edited by Krynn007