Sign in to follow this  
TasteTheRainbow

Solve This Situation: Rexlar vs Corran in the Late Game

zHUjw3nh.jpg

Rexlar is predator/x7 - Full Health

The Seinar Test Pilot up north has title and autothrusters. He is down to hull.

Corran is 49 points. R2d2, engine, ptl, sensors. Full shields.

Imperials have a mod win here, but got there very fast. Probably 45+ mins left if it was a tourney. If Corran kills the test pilot he has a mod win on rexlar.

Corran has initiative.

So two questions:

1.) What should Rexlar pick on his dial this round?

2.) What strategy would you pursue as the imperial player?

FAQ:

Why no damage on Corran? 3 natural hits from Rex + 3 natural evades from Corran.

TAP is facing away from Corran. Plenty of room for a k-turn.

Related Note: Rexlar and Maarek shred Ghosts like tissue paper.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

Rex likely has to pick a 1 bank or 2 straight. Anything else and you risk letting Corran shoot you which is not really the joust you want. 4k the test pilot so he's out of Corran range most likely and is ready to get back in and block. If you get a money turn and block Corran then rex lays out some pain. You are up on ships and up on mobility as long as you take your time avoiding giving Corran advantageous shots.

I would 2 R turn the Test pilot and put him behind the rock and TL Corran for the Evade and extra defence die. If he turns and does get me at range 3 I get range 3 bonus too.

Rex 2 banks and then BR's if he needs to get arc or out of arc. Or goes 1 R bank and adjusts to where Corran moved too.

Corran has 2 choices in pursuit of the Test Pilot. Follow its path around the rock or cut it off. Both will require boost to catch it in range 2-3.

Corran could also 1 move to let Rex fly by. That would not be ideal but it would allow the Test Pilot to escape. Rex should be able to take a double tap from Corran and live but it could go south.

The next round I would 1 L turn the Test Pilot and L boost to turn him back. That makes it a hard call. K turn Corran or allow Rex to keep on tail. Sure, Rex can K turn, but he gets that free evade and focus to take on Corran.

Edited by Sergovan

Corran can't survive head-to-head against Rexler (who can lean on superior action economy and the white K to joist Corran to death). The Rebel player's only real option is to chase the damaged Test Pilot and then hope to run for the win.

So the Imperial player has just two options to consider. If the Rebellion has initiative, Rexler should plan a 1-bank to the right and the STP should run and evade. If the Empire has it, Rex should attempt to force the joust by planning a 2-bank right: either he blocks Corran or (more likely) Corran ends up directly in front of Rex's guns.

3 Right turn with the sienar to get distance and behind a rock.

3 Right bank with Rex, grants the free evade, but also hopes to stay at range 1 if Corran pursues the sienar. If Corran does a 1 bank, I estimate you bump (?) which is acceptable. If Corran 3/4 K-turns or some crazy you should be able to barrel roll out of his arc.

Is this too agressive?

If Corran is missing a shield, I expect him Focus + Boost right, then 3-straight to get a shield back and clear stress. A speed 1 right bank would be the perfect maneuver for Rexlar. EDIT: Oops, I had missed the declaration that Corran has full shields.

If Corran has full shields, I would expect him to K-turn and face Rexlar. He gets the adv. Sensors Focus, and hopefully will catch Rexlar unawares. Chasing the TAP doesn't do much good at this point because of Autothrusters and the likelihood of the attack being at range 3. The TAP has to perform a 3-right turn and either Evade or Focus (I'd focus). He has to survive at this point.

Of course, with this all laid out, it seems like Rexlar could get the best of both worlds by performing a straight 2: he would be able to threaten the K-turning Corran and have a focus for defense, but he would also be in a position to barrel roll behind Corran while he follows the TAP.

IN SUMMARY: 1) Straight 2 for Rexlar, 2) run and hide with the TAP.

Edited by Parakitor

I love the idea of this topic.  X-Wing puzzles could be great fun!  It really breaks up the monotony of 'this upgrade/ship/pilot is OP' and 'so this happened at a tournament'.

One bank right seems like the best move to me, since that keeps Corran in front and in range.  I'd worry about him going straight and being out of arc if I two banked.

I agree that the test pilot needs to run for cover. That's the easy non-choice of this scenario. A hard turn should get you behind the rock, but I'd be leery of anything less than speed 3. That may put you out of range for a target lock, which may cost you an evade - but if you end up needing to focus then with four dice and thrusters that's good enough that Corran's unlikely to kill you (this turn). Rexlar needs to kill Corran, so following slowly makes sense.

If Corran's moving first, a 1 bank puts you essentially where he was. Ultimately, Corran's got four choices:

1. pursue the advanced prototype fast (Bank 3?) - which will give you a medium/long range shot and not let him recover a shield but let him get a medium/close range shot on the prototype. With agility 3, an obstruction and a focus token you should be okay, but he does have that bloody double-tap ability up his sleeve and the TAP is on fire.
  2. pursue the advanced prototype slowly (Bank 1?) - which lets him get a shield back, but means a long range shot with obstruction, autothrusters and a focus token. He is realistically not going to hit it.
  3. Try to get a shot on Rexlar by turning inside you, barrel rolling back, or K-turning. The former two are unlikely to work because Rexlar's Defender can turn tighter and he's right on Corran's arse. A K-turn might get him a range 1 double tap if you bank to follow, assuming he's doing '1' or '2' - but even two range 1 double taps aren't likely to do too much to a defender.
  4. Break and run. Turn or bank left, break contact and try to pick up the advanced in a more advantageous position. Probably a flat out bad choice - with a white K-turn, the Defender is faster on its feet than you are and will chase you down unless you spend actions to boost - which compromises your defence and stops you recovering shields.

Therefore, I'd assume Corran is planning to go for '1' or '3' - which means a fast bank and focus up to get a burst at the advanced, or K-turn and hope the Defender bumbles into its guns whilst slow-turning (and hence not getting a free evade).

If he goes for '3' - that means a K-turn, which might get 2 range 1 shots, one unmodified, one target locked. That should hurt but is unlikely to kill - I'd expect to lose a couple of shields, maybe? The following turn, though, the Advanced Prototype is gone and heading for the Mexican border, and the Defender can K-turn 'up' the board, whilst Corran is stressed and pulling a green move, meaning now Rexlar is probably getting a shot with no reply - so not allowing for '3' is an acceptable risk.

'1' is the better option. An average double-tap-burst should land damage on the advanced prototype, and whilst Rexlar might hurt corran, he probably won't kill him.

From the rebel POV: Corran has to go for the full win! he has initiative and ptl/adv sensors... I'd dial in a 1-right bank, and most likely barrel rolling back and left before the maneuver, to set up the shot on Rex, who should be pursuing where he thinks Corran has to go: after the wounded tap for the win. I might even reinfornce that impression by looking at the tap a long time as the rebel player :)

From the imperial POV: Firstly I'd be pretty gutted that i didn't manage to do any damage at range one last round! advanced corran is an incredibly slippery customer. I wouldn't fancy my chances in this game, especially in a knife fight, so I'd probably give up on shots this round to try and maneuver. That would help inform me of the rebel's target priority - give up on the tap or hunt him down. I don't like my chances of surviving 45 minutes either, e-wing with EU is dirty fast.

Adv sensors also makes blocking almost pointless, so that limits my options too. I'd probably try and trade my tap for one or two rounds of fire with it, to strip tokens or sneak a hit through, while rex fires too. That would mean using the tap as bait and hoping the rebel got hungry and went for it. Tough day to be rex!

You can K-turn with the Defender here too, and then barrel roll back and left from that position if needed - Corran will most likely be in range 1 of you here, and you will have either evade + focus or just evade.  If Corran turns right to cut off the escape of the TAP, you can now chase more easily, if he banks, you are now in a position to turn up and cut off coran's escape. 

Should he doubletap Rexler instead of the of the TAP - you've split fire and saved the TAP.  The real question is whether or not to run with the TAP or K-turn, given this approach.  The K-turn will likely force Corran to fire at the TAP, if he has the range. If Corran gets agressive with 3 turn + Roll, I think he can catch the bank.

If I was the Imperial player I would have the prototype go 5 straight and if there is also room, boost 1 towards Corran and have Rexler do a 1 bank.

This will guaranties that Corran cant fire at him this turn and possibly crashing on him and forces him to go in pursuit from next turn on.

Like you said, the Rebels need to kill the Advanced to win, so forcing him to pursuit the prototype with Rexler in his tail puts him into a disadvantage.

If I was the Imperial player I would have the prototype go 5 straight and if there is also room, boost 1 towards Corran and have Rexler do a 1 bank.

This will guaranties that Corran cant fire at him this turn and possibly crashing on him and forces him to go in pursuit from next turn on.

Like you said, the Rebels need to kill the Advanced to win, so forcing him to pursuit the prototype with Rexler in his tail puts him into a disadvantage.

The prototype is currently facing away from Corran though.

The prototype is currently facing away from Corran though.

lol. How could I be so blind!

Still the same moves for the Prototype though and a bank 2 to the right for Rexler.

Edited by tsondaboy

Since Corran is outnumbered and you have plenty of time, he should play defensively. Avoiding rexler is key. Barrel roll left and back then one bank right should get you behind the defender even if he does a 1 bank or 2 straight.

Next turn you intercept the TAP with something like boost right +3/4/5 straight or 3 bank right + boost.

As Corran, I think I'd like the pre manouver barrel roll without pushing then 1 bank right.

While this looks like a good situation for the Imperial player, I actually think there is a lot of pressure on the Defenders next move. Any movement to the rightor straing and you now have my Corran behind you.

I think id just K the Defender.

I would K-turn the defender. It either gives you a shot with evade+focus or blocks corran, giving you time to get the TAP out of his deadly guns. But it is a very uphil battle vs double tap corran with adv sensors + regen. If he evades every turn you have to hit at least 3 hits and he has to blank everything for you to get the kill.