Sign in to follow this  
isthar

Ensuring the player doesn't feel "robbed"

dengar, caclulation (crit=2hits with bossk) and 2 focus tokens from support ship.

Who cares about stress and ion if the game is basicly over in 2 shots? :P

Don't forget Bossk's ability kicks in after evade dice have been rolled and modified, and there is still an uncancelled <kaboom> result.

I played a game against a very fat Bossk.

He would almost guaranteed make 4 hits with 3 dice.

Then blocked my focus or evade token, then when i rolled my 3 dice i had to re-roll all the evades i rolled, making a very likely 0 total evades.

First attack in the game was 7 dmg from cluster missiles on my IG..

I probably could have played better, but so many dice controlling cards effecting both colours of dice is just too much i think.

It sure wasn't a very fun game for me.

That level of hyper accuracy has become necessary to deal with Acewings. Hyper accuracy is a symptom of the meta being dominated by hyper damage mitigation.

That level of hyper accuracy is also on a 12 health ship with 1 agility with no K-Turn and 15 stress tokens after it fires twice lol. Imagine facing the hyper damage mitigation version of that, AKA Soontir backed by Palp and just automatically missing. You can just burn Bossk down and (somewhat) easily outmaneuver him. Can't do that against Soontir.

Soontir and his buddies are why I've started using Scouts (in pairs, rather than trips), to be honest. With some fancy flying I might get a 4 dice shot off on Soontir, that might land something. At the very least, I can deal with Palpatine reasonably efficiently, and then hope for the rest of the game that I have enough buckshot left over in the remaining torpedo or two, to land anything on Soontir/Inquisitor. It's an all-or-nothing strategy, but it's what the Soontir/Palp combo forces you into. They have maximum green dice support, so I have to build for maximum red dice support. It's a strategy that will inevitably fail for one of the two parties - either with a completely negated torpedo shot, or with a very dead Soontir - and that person will possibly walk away feeling salty about it. 

Whether you consider it a negative experience is a matter of personal approach to the game. Either way, it's the state of the current meta.

It does get kind of crushing when you get a 4/4 hit attack off against Soontir and he converts a blank blank focus roll into 4 evade results.

At that point what's the point of continuing playing if one side has invincible ships? I'm not saying that to stroke my pessimism boner, hear me out. A new player finally gets Soontir in arc with say, an HLC B-Wing. He scores 3 hits, and Soontir rolls blank blank focus and spends an evade token, a focus token, Palpatine, and Autothrusters to completely block all damage. That's not creating a positive play experience, quite the opposite.

Fel has 3 hull, no shields. Literally the weakest HP total in the entire game. If you don't want him to use Autothrusters then get within range 2. Palp cost that guy two crew slots and 8 points (not to mention requiring a shuttle in his list) The Palp roll he uses on Fel he's not using on his other ship(s). That's on top of the 29 points for the Fel you described...which will likely be more like 35 points instead.

35+8 points for a 3HP ship which you can negate a critical upgrade from (Autothrusters) by getting him in range and in arc. Your opponent invested somewhere between over a third and under a half of his points in making the most delicate of ships in the entire game something to be reckoned with. Not only that but the stressed Fel in your example effectively shuts down over half of his dial (unless he really wants to risk not getting that free focus)

So, he's not invincible. He is the very definition of an ace pilot. He costs an arm and a leg to be resilient enough to be worth it, though. Get some arcs on him and take him out. You need three hits. Focus fire. Your HLC B-Wing could have stripped Palp, a focus, and an evade from Fel for your second ship to chew him up.

Fel with PTL+Autothrusters+Stealth Device, Omicron Group Pilot, and Palp is a total of 64 points. If someone can't put 64 points to work in order to take Soontir Fel out then I would politely argue that not having a "positive play experience" is less the fault of the game and more the fault of the player.

Edited by EvaUnit02