MalusCalibur

"We need your help, Star Fox!"

One problem, you have them a torpedo slot, but they don't have a TL action, how are they supposed to fire them?  Can they only use  the 1 torp you made?

d

One problem, you have them a torpedo slot, but they don't have a TL action, how are they supposed to fire them?  Can they only use  the 1 torp you made?

deadeye, targeting computer, or chargeshot+torpedo.

Beautiful work. Very pretty, very well written, and very flavorful.

I will say, the ships do seem a bit overcosted to me. Compare to the A-Wing at 15 points; the Cornerian Test Pilot is 7 points more for +1 hull, +1 shield, and some other tidbits. Now, 7 points is the same as adding a hull and shield upgrade to an A-Wing -- which should be a pretty clear sign that it's too much, because when have you seen an A-Wing take hull or shield upgrades (and do well)? Hell, how often do you see ANYONE take those, outside of Tel or Carnor? Point is: hull and shields cost a lot less than their respective upgrades (which keeps said upgrades from being auto-includes). For the same price as the basic pilot, I could also have a B-Wing; and that extra attack die is probably going to serve me better than added maneuverability and perhaps a bit more durability. I wouldn't hesitate to knock two or three points off the base cost.

Thank you :)

Costing the ship was certainly difficult, and the price of the CTP had to accomodate the possible reduction from the 'Retro' Arwing title to avoid it getting too cheap.

Well... I just ordered one of those shapeways Arwings. Neat stuff! Thoughts on running them as scum (Star Wolf)?

Excellent :) Do be careful painting it, though - the resin used is porous and will have a paint-repelling wax layer that needs to be scrubbed first. Thin your paint as much as you can and build up layers if need be.

And yes, I'm already working on a Star Wolf pack for S&V :)

Rakaydos covered it, but yes, to begin with they can only use the Nova Bomb. If you equip them with a Targeting Computer, the Charged Laser, or Deadeye, you can use other torpedo types as well.

Sorry for being a necromancer but that's some awesome stuff.

Will you also do the Wolfen, there is a X-Wing Wolfen model on shapeways so we could fly the battle between Star Fox and Star Wolf, or you could do cards for the ships of Star Fox Command.

Course peppy would give out brolls lol....

I actually really like Falco's ability even as just a regular move. The ability to either move last or shoot first but not both has a lot of flexibility and on a whim, which i like.

Slippy could easily get out of hand lol

Pretty good. Could you make some rules for Hyper Lasers, Star Wolf team, Wolfen 1&2 (going by the lore in the players guide Wolfen 2 should be more advanced than the ar-wings).

Also i was shocked you didn't make rules concerning the shield created from the g-defuser when rolling. Perhaps it should be: while preforming a barrel roll you have the option to add a 1 temporary shield when rolling defense dice. This temp shield remains during the whole combat phase but ar-wing must decrease its attack value by 1 too 0. No secondary attacks can be made.

This looks awesome. I'd make a slight change to Peppy tho, as he seems a bit too strong.

Peppy Hare

"At the start of the combat phase, Peppy Hare may receive one stress token and choose a friendly ship at range 1-3. That ship can perform a free barrel roll action. If the friendly ship does not have the Barrel Roll action in its action bar, it receives a stress token"

The stress here showcases the fact that Peppy is actually taking his focus away from his own maneuvers to look out for his friends. Also, if the ship can't normally do a barrel roll, they will have to take a stress to do it. Still useful if it pulls them out of an arc in a combat phase. Range is also extended to 3 (it is a radio command, after all).

Also, here's a new EPT based on your description of Falco:

Overconfident [cost: 3]

Small ship only. Modification.

Increase your primary weapon value by 1. If you fail to hit with a primary weapon attack, or if you are dealt damage, discard this card.

This is a mix of crackshot, stealth device, and your own twin laser modification (in fact, it has great synergy with both mods). It works for all ships (not only Arwings, and arwings can't take both), but because it's for primary weapons only, it won't be game-breaking with ordnance alpha attacks. Also great synergy with accuracy corrector, tho still prone to being discarded when shooting agile enemy ships. An Arwing with this EPT as well as Twin Laser would start the dogfight with 4 attack (with a very impressive 4/3/3/3 Falco for 36 points), which would be downgraded to 3 if hit (or if it misses an attack), and 2 if critically hit.

Edited by takfar

Love this!

Maybe something to represent the barrel roll's shield ability, like 'after performing a barrel roll, receive an evade token'. Simple but effective as a mod or talent.

I remember the charged laser taking a long time to charge up. Maybe

"Attack: Place a charge counter on this card. You may not attack this round.

Attack(target lock): Spend a charge token to make a 4(?) die attack at range 2-3."

Can't wait to see what you come up with for Star Wolf.

Well, as i remember, in Star Fox Assault, performing a barrel roll(technically an aileron roll but i'll let it slide) removed tracking for charged shots and rockets fired from the ground. 

So perhaps a title that lets you remove a target lock from yourself after performing a barrel roll action.

Sorry for being a necromancer but that's some awesome stuff.

Will you also do the Wolfen, there is a X-Wing Wolfen model on shapeways so we could fly the battle between Star Fox and Star Wolf, or you could do cards for the ships of Star Fox Command.

No problem - thank you (and indeed everyone else) for the renewed interest in the project :)

Yes, I am (albeit slowly) working on the Star Wolf pack.

Course peppy would give out brolls lol....

I actually really like Falco's ability even as just a regular move. The ability to either move last or shoot first but not both has a lot of flexibility and on a whim, which i like.

Slippy could easily get out of hand lol

I'm very proud of Falco's ability - doubly so given how many different abilities I went through trying to find one that fit!

Slippy's ability is limited to once per round, so only one person can come to his rescue at a time. It also gives Slippy an 'anti-Biggs' effect, where your opponent doesn't want to shoot at him and thus you can use that to your advantage.

Pretty good. Could you make some rules for Hyper Lasers, Star Wolf team, Wolfen 1&2 (going by the lore in the players guide Wolfen 2 should be more advanced than the ar-wings).

Also i was shocked you didn't make rules concerning the shield created from the g-defuser when rolling. Perhaps it should be: while preforming a barrel roll you have the option to add a 1 temporary shield when rolling defense dice. This temp shield remains during the whole combat phase but ar-wing must decrease its attack value by 1 too 0. No secondary attacks can be made.

I'm not sure how Hyper Lasers could really add a lot to the pack - I did consider it, but in the game they just made your shots stronger and had the same risk of losing them as the standard ones, so it'd really just be a stronger, more expensive version of the Twin Blaster card. That said, in Star Fox Zero you would lose the Hyper Laser (and go back down to the Twin Laser) when hit by enemy fire as well as crashing, so perhaps there could be a mechanic for that.

As for the barrel roll shield effect, I technically did cover that - because the Star Fox barrel roll is actually an Aileron roll, I decided to keep the barrel roll action (because of the repeated usage of the term in the games), and then gave the ship the Evade action to represent the defensive shield.

Dont forget the Rules for the Great Leon must be "GREAT".

Don't worry, they are ;)

my only complaint is the pricing is too high to have the full team.

Dont even care if theyre weaker. MUST HAVE FULL TEAM!! lol

It was something I considered, but in the end I thought it more appropriate to their skills and the strength of their advanced ships (after all, they are a four-man team that takes down an entire galaxy-spanning army) to have each pilot be a powerful ace and thus cost a lot of points. If you want to field the whole team, you'd need to play Epic :)

This looks awesome. I'd make a slight change to Peppy tho, as he seems a bit too strong.

(snip}

Also, here's a new EPT based on your description of Falco:

Overconfident [cost: 3]

Small ship only. Modification.

Increase your primary weapon value by 1. If you fail to hit with a primary weapon attack, or if you are dealt damage, discard this card.

I see your point about Peppy - it's the reason I limited the range of the ability a bit, but I'll admit to only really having thought about it in terms of it's effect on other Arwings rather than other ships in the game. Perhaps a simpler comprimise would be to add the clause that the target ship has to have barrel roll on it's action bar, and leave it at that?

I really like that EPT - I assume that by 'dealt damage' you mean a damage card? I think I could find a place for it in the Wolfen pack...

I still can't believe how friggin amazing this is. Blew my thread RIGHT out of the water, and rightly so.

You flatter me, sir :) It may well have been your thread I saw before, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. Could you direct me?

Nice post. But 6 hitpoints behind 3 agility, EPT, evade action, autorhrusters and sensor jammer compatible? And so agile... Too hard to hit, way too much

You think so? The cheapest possible ship with those defensive measures is 28pts, and the cheapest one with EPT access is 34pts + EPT cost. Consider also that by taking Autothrusters, you are stuck with a 2-dice gun, and taking Evade as an action leaves that shot unmodified unless you have PTL, which of course limits you via stress. I'm not convinced it's a problem.

I really like that EPT - I assume that by 'dealt damage' you mean a damage card? I think I could find a place for it in the Wolfen pack...

Yea, the idea is if you take *any damage* (hit by an attack, hit by an asteroid, damaged by slicer tools), including if you lose shields, then you lose the extra attack die.

It's supposed to represent the guy that goes all cocky into battle and performs exceptionally due to that confidence, but once anything goes wrong, it's a slap in the face, and then back to reality.

Very strong for high-attack, high-agility aces, very strong against low-agi enemy ships (since you'll rarely miss), bad against high-agi enemies and if being focus fired by strong enemies. Focus, Target Lock, Evade, all help to keep it going. Good synergy with Biggs, and even with Peppy to get the overconfident ship out of trouble. I'm torn between giving it either 2 or 3 cost. Maybe 2 because of how easily it can be discarded, and then you're out of an EPT.

Edited by takfar

This thread is fantastic! Well done!

I do feel that 'Never Give Up' needs a little rewording along the lines of Tel Trevura as it seems that an attack that deals multiple damage cards would still destroy the ship.

"The first time you would be destroyed, instead cancel all damage, discard your damage cards and deal yourself 2 facedown damage cards."

I think that's how his ability goes.

This thread is fantastic! Well done!

I do feel that 'Never Give Up' needs a little rewording along the lines of Tel Trevura as it seems that an attack that deals multiple damage cards would still destroy the ship.

"The first time you would be destroyed, instead cancel all damage, discard your damage cards and deal yourself 2 facedown damage cards."

I think that's how his ability goes.

Thank you very much :)

Never Give Up is (I believe) working as intended - the idea is supposed to be that if you ever take damage EXACTLY equal to your remaining hull in a round, you get to live with one hull remaining by discarding one facedown card. It makes the ship a little tricker to kill as you have to do so with an 'overkill' shot, something that might be difficult against a ship as potentially defensive as the Arwing.

As a side effect I hadn't realised before, it actually makes the Arwing immune to TLT's once it is down to one hull, since TLT's always deal damage one at a time. Knowing that, I remain unsure if I would change it - it gives the card another niche, one that is perhaps far more useful for the point spent.

So, I am still working on the Wolfen (I've lost my notes, hence the long delay), but new developments from Wave 10 have presented some new ideas to alter the Arwing as well...

Edited by MalusCalibur

As I said in my thread feel free to nick any of my ideas! My ONLY gripe is that it feels like things are overcosted; I know you're trying to keep things from getting too out of control, but you don't want to end up in a Corran situation where you have one guy eating half your list to be viable! :P

Also, maybe change the somersault move to a straight 2 instead of a 1, maybe do it only on speed 2 straights and banks? Only reason I say this is because I'm having a hard time figuring out in my head how it could ever be pulled off on the table. A visual guide may help!

Also, a Tech slot might be cool. Primed Thrusters would be an excellent fit for this ship thematically, I think!

Edited by Kepora

As I said in my thread feel free to nick any of my ideas! My ONLY gripe is that it feels like things are overcosted; I know you're trying to keep things from getting too out of control, but you don't want to end up in a Corran situation where you have one guy eating half your list to be viable! :P

Oh, of course, but I genuinely don't think anything in there is too prciey for what capabilities it adds, and in the same vein as elites like Corran, you probably won't have more than two of these in a normal size game.

Also, maybe change the somersault move to a straight 2 instead of a 1, maybe do it only on speed 2 straights and banks? Only reason I say this is because I'm having a hard time figuring out in my head how it could ever be pulled off on the table. A visual guide may help!

I do have a slight tweak in mind for the G-Diffuser (Coming Soon), but the move itself seems representative enough of the ingame version, and since both are maneuvers you are able to bump (and hit obstacles) while using them - just like in the game, you have to fly carefully :) It's similar in principle to a 0 maneuver, but captures the feel of the game a bit better than just a handbrake.

A visual guide isn't a bad idea, though - I'll have to see what I can do,

Also, a Tech slot might be cool. Primed Thrusters would be an excellent fit for this ship thematically, I think!

True, but I'm reluctant to give Tech slots to anything that isn't TFA-era, and besides, the boost bar on the Arwing isn't long enough to boost while stressed in X-Wing - somersaults and U-Turns use the whole bar up on their own! :)

Oh, of course, but I genuinely don't think anything in there is too prciey for what capabilities it adds, and in the same vein as elites like Corran, you probably won't have more than two of these in a normal size game.

I do have a slight tweak in mind for the G-Diffuser (Coming Soon), but the move itself seems representative enough of the ingame version, and since both are maneuvers you are able to bump (and hit obstacles) while using them - just like in the game, you have to fly carefully :) It's similar in principle to a 0 maneuver, but captures the feel of the game a bit better than just a handbrake.

A visual guide isn't a bad idea, though - I'll have to see what I can do,

True, but I'm reluctant to give Tech slots to anything that isn't TFA-era, and besides, the boost bar on the Arwing isn't long enough to boost while stressed in X-Wing - somersaults and U-Turns use the whole bar up on their own! :)

Fair enough! Also for the "Mark 3" as I call it - the Assault version - perhaps the addition of a Full stop? Perhaps a title that gives it that and the ability to barrel roll  maneuver vertically/laterally. I know Krystal pulled it off in one of the early cutscenes:

(Skip to 5:26)

Also, we need James and Krystal cards now. :P

Edited by Kepora