Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Dear EU Purists...

Hi, I'm 36 years old and have loved Star Wars all my life. 

I am an EU enthusiast, not purist.  That means I love all things Star Wars, not that I only love the OT and EU.  Well, I only kinda like the prequels, I certainly don't love them.  I love parts of the Clone Wars, and I love Tales of the Bounty Hunters.  I love Rebels, and I love the Thrawn Trilogy.      

Anyways, an EU purist despises all content that is not EU or OT.  THAT IS FINE.  I have no problem with you being that way and I have no desire to change you.  For a long time, EU was all there was and then Disney all of a sudden pulled the rug out from all of us.  It just is what it is.

I recommend that if you are an EU purist that you understand that IA may not be your game.  It should be clear to all that they will NEVER release a named EU character in Imperial Assault.  The closest we will ever get is Royal Guard Champion and HK Assassin droids.  They may put a generic one in, but it won't be named accordingly - and it will be few and far between that they actually do put them in.

Instead, for the most part, you are going to get things that are on the screen.

All is not lost!  If you really want EU, then allow me to HIGHLY recommend three games that I have played and found to be phenomenal, all of which contain EU:

1) Star Wars Armada.  It is a tactical miniatures game, heavy on the deep strategy of fleet combat.  It is really fun, and it came out around the same time that IA came out.  Unlike IA, it has some named EU characters such as Garm Bel Iblis and Ysanne Isard.

2) X-Wing Miniatures Game.  Oh my goodness X-Wing is fun.  It is edge of your seat strategy dogfighting, and it has a lot of EU characters in it.  Off the top of my head: Mara Jade, Maarek Steele, Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, Ysanne Isard, Soontir Fel, Tycho Celchu, and the list goes on and on.  You have 7 waves of expansion to explore before they even touched anything outside of the OT and EU, and in wave 8 they introduced EU characters Manaroo and Tel Trevura.  If you want a campaign, get the fan-made Heroes of the Aturi Cluster or check out the epic ships which I think contain strings of missions.

3) Star Wars LCG.  Oh my goodness this game has a ton of EU in it.  It's practically exploding with it.  It has freaking GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN - HELLO!  Anyways, it is a VERY deep game and is has a ton of expansions to explore.  Yes, it's not a miniatures game, but it is still very good.

- I haven't tried Star Wars RPG, but I think it has EU elements in it.  If you want the campaign stories of IA, then this might be your thing. 

So here's the thing: when we all get excited about new stuff, and then you complain that it's not EU, it brings us down, and some of us wish you wouldn't.  You have the right to your opinion, but it brings us down and it changes nothing.  If you want EU, you will NEVER be satisfied with Imperial Assault.  

You can do three things:

1) Continue to be disappointed.

2) Adjust your expectations.

3) Find an alternative.

I do not say this condescendingly, I am not trying to be antagonistic, I am being honest and trying to provide other alternatives.  I am your friend, but I, like many others here, do not see it the way you do. 

I'm really trying, but I'm really at a loss as to what exactly is the helpful bit in the condescending passive-aggressive message of "stop sharing with me what you'd like to see in the game and go someplace else instead because your ideas are silly and will never happen".

And even disregarding that, we've already been over the whole EU/Legends/Disney thing on this board. Multiple times. And then some more. And then a couple more times. And again every time anything is released for any Star Wars game.

So I fail to see the point in yet another thread like this.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

I'm really trying, but I'm really at a loss as to what exactly is the helpful bit in the condescending passive-aggressive message of "stop sharing with me what you'd like to see in the game and go someplace else instead because your ideas are silly and will never happen".

You're twisting what I said.  My OP has not been edited, these are the things I said:

"Anyways, an EU purist despises all content that is not EU or OT.  THAT IS FINE.  I have no problem with you being that way and I have no desire to change you.  For a long time, EU was all there was and then Disney all of a sudden pulled the rug out from all of us.  It just is what it is."

"I recommend that if you are an EU purist that you understand that IA may not be your game."

"So here's the thing: when we all get excited about new stuff, and then you complain that it's not EU, it brings us down, and some of us wish you wouldn't.  You have the right to your opinion, but it brings us down and it changes nothing.  If you want EU, you will NEVER be satisfied with Imperial Assault."

"I do not say this condescendingly, I am not trying to be antagonistic, I am being honest and trying to provide other alternatives.  I am your friend, but I, like many others here, do not see it the way you do."

I don't think we will ever see any character that is distinctly iconic of the old canon. So no Thrawn, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar etc. I don't think Disney would let that slide, while they include some minor stuff here and there like a minor remark about the Black Sun in a cartoon, they are trying their best to stay clear of directly referencing anything that played a large part in the old canon. After all, if they at any point legitimized just one character, they'd bring the entire EU crashing down back on their heads, since all that stuff got too interconnected over the years.

However, I do believe we will still be getting a trickle of smaller bits and bobs and nods and teases to some of the less impactful pieces of the old EU. Like the HK droids we got in Return to Hoth. You can have a droid that happens to look like that one droid from that one thing, but that does not automatically mean that thing actually happened in the new timeline.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

I think the main point, if I may be so bold, was that being a negative Nancy just because something that gets released doesn't fit into YOUR vision of how the Star Wars Universe was/is/should be is generally unhelpful.  It's fine to say your piece, but harping on it at length is a buzzkill, and since we/you/I don't make the game or own the IP, nothing will ever be perfect for everyone.  So enjoy the game, or if you can't, then enjoy a different game.  Either way, enjoy life, gaming, and pleasant community boards.

Was that right?

Edited by tomkat364

It's unlikely we'll see EU stuff because a) there isn't much of it, and b) few people even know any of it.  We won't see legends stuff because it's legends.  Legends might be used as a source for some things like the names of supply and equipment items that were never mentioned in the movies, but you're not going to see Mara Jade or the ridiculous Solo kids.

It's unlikely we'll see EU stuff because a) there isn't much of it, and b) few people even know any of it.  We won't see legends stuff because it's legends.  Legends might be used as a source for some things like the names of supply and equipment items that were never mentioned in the movies, but you're not going to see Mara Jade or the ridiculous Solo kids.

That's not helpful. 

Rey and Kylo are the new "Solo kids".  No, Rey is not Hans daughter, but I'm pretty sure she'll be related to Luke.  Star Wars has become very blue blood.

For X-Wing, a big chunk of the EU characters was introduced before Disney announced the EU moratorium. I suspect most, if not all of them, were already designed and at various stages of production when it was announced. So the milk on that was already spilt.

For Armada, while it came out after the moratorium date, I suspect it was in development and production before that.

Besides that, both X-Wing and Armada are basically deathmatch games wrapped in Star Wars art. There is no narrative structure to speak of, you can get The Inquisitor shooting down the Millenium Falcon piloted by Rey with Lando Calrissian manning the turret, and no one cares. That Kyle Katarn card has no narrative context, it might as well be named Bondrok Fancypants.

Imperial Assault has a very rigid narrative play structure for the campaign. You can't introduce a random EU shmo without at least some context for who he is and what he's doing. And I have a strong suspicion that context is what would be crossing the line for Disney.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

The tagline for Imperial Assault is "two games in one", and skirmish games are exactly the kind of deathmatch you described. Furthermore, Dash Rendar showing up as an ally in a side mission has no more impact than IG-88 or Echo Base Troopers showing up.

EU characters fit perfectly in skirmish, and they're benign as allies in side missions. There's nothing offensive to any lore, and there's only enjoyment to be had by welcoming their recognizable miniatures into the mix.

I think it's bizarre that Disney would actively restrict the development and sales of certain characters within a clearly non-canon board game.

Edited by Arttemis

To the OP:

Great post!  So often online forums begin with condescension and degenerate from there.  Yours easily could have gone that route.  Thanks for breaking the mold!

Now try reading his previous posts.