Sign in to follow this  
DeanMachine2

Beginner needing help with 1st Squad.

So as the title states I'm an x wing beginner and looking for help setting up the best 100 point squad possible with the ships and cards that I own. I will be buying more ships over the months and the more I get into it. Looking to play as the rebel alliance.

The ships I own are:

Core set

Force awakens core set

X-wing expansion

E-wing expansion

M3A interceptor(I know it's a scum ship, but maybe some upgrade cards will help)

Also if you could help with what future ships I should get.

Look forward to your guys lists and tips.

Thanks

Getting Rebel Aces might help you with some more options for Rebel squads. Also, adding a K-Wing would give you some fun ship options, as would a Y-Wing.

But if you can't get those things, I like the idea of flying Corran+Poe+Biggs/Rookie if you can get the points to work. Corman is the one that needs upgrades the most in that squad, and then Poe.

Jacob

Edited by jkokura

Poe with BB8; Biggs X-Wing naked, and E-Wing Corran Horn with Marksmanship an R2D2. 100 points.

That is 100 points and that gives you two pilot skill 8 and one at 5. Try to keep Biggs behind Poe and Corran, forcing the enemy to shoot at him, hopefully at range 3. And when you can get Corran into range one, use Marksmanship to make the most of your two attacks this round. Try to pick off their arch dodgers first, or concentrate on a big ship with everyone until it is gone.

Are you playing in a tournament? If not, definitely proxy upgrade cards.  Trying to buy four years' worth of ships and upgrade cards is intimidating and honestly just not possible for lots of people (like me), and that's perfectly okay.

If you ARE playing in a tournament, make friends with local players - in my experience, others are always glad to provide a few loaners. One time I even left one of my upgrades (Deadeye) at home and one of the more experienced players just gifted me one of his, I didn't even have to ask. If you were in my area, I'd happily let you try out different ships on a weekly basis, like a library loan system. It would probably help you figure out what you enjoy playing the most. I'm sure you can find other players who might be willing to do the same thing.

As far as learning the game, there's a few concepts that you could focus on with the ships you already have:

1. How to fly an ace ship - use Corran Horn and proxy the "Push the Limit" and "Engine Upgrade" upgrade cards. Get used to boosting and barrel rolling out of opponents' arcs.
  2. How to fly a rebel regen ship - Poe and Corran are both good candidates, and R2-D2 is the strongest astromech in the game and you already have him. Also R5-P9 is a good choice to proxy on Poe.
  3. How to fly swarms - you have four TIEs already, stick them together and have them fly against e.g. a Red Squadron pilot and Poe. You can also look into proxying "Crack Shot" upgrade cards for more firepower, and as always Howlrunner is all but a must have for swarms.
  4. How to use munitions - proxy some "Guidance Chips" upgrade cards and stick some proton torpedoes on a couple X-Wings. Historically criticized for not being worth the points, the Guidance Chips upgrade (along with a few ways to get good action economy) have brought munitions back to the top tier of competition. Munitions lists can also be frustrating for beginners to play against, as everything can go downhill so quickly...so learning how to fly or fly against munitions lists will be very helpful.
  5. How to use Biggs - the mustachioed wonder is still one of the most powerful ships in the game because he allows you to fly more fragile ships next to him with less risk, as the enemy must shoot at Biggs if possible. Pair him with Wedge or Poe and let those two aces do their thing while Biggs gets all the attention from the opponent.

Hope that helps you!

Are you playing in a tournament? If not, definitely proxy upgrade cards.  Trying to buy four years' worth of ships and upgrade cards is intimidating and honestly just not possible for lots of people (like me), and that's perfectly okay.

What part of the "with the ships and the cards that I own," do you have trouble with?  

The word proxy should never be mentioned.  When asking what might help in the future you could then offer suggestions on what those things may be and recommend some testing methods to see if they work for him but the default answer to a "what can I build" question should NEVER involve proxies unless that is EXPLICITLY allowed.

My concern: you have a lot of really strong ships and pilots, but they are all in ships that must be flown very well for the reaching of their fullest potential. This isn't a bad thing, I started with nearly the same list. That said Biggs Luke and E'than might be an interesting list for you to work with, similar to Luke Biggs and Wedge but more firepower across the board

Only proxying 2 cards you could do:

Luke: Draw their fire, R2-D2, Integrated Astromech: 35

Biggs: R2-F3, Integrated Astromech: 28 (experimental interface 31 remove E'tahns EPT)

E'than: R7 Astro, Fire Control System (proxy), and Marksmanship:

Wedge Antilles

BB-8

Proton Torpedoes

Poe Dameron

R2-D2

Weapons Guidance

Outmaneuver

Biggs Darklighter

Tons of pew pew. Poe and Wedge deal tons of damage while Biggs keeps Wedge alive long enough to use his Torpedoes. Once Biggs goes down, they'll probably go after Wedge leaving your regen Poe for the late-game.

Without engine upgrade, BB-8 and T70s with their native boost are the only ways to modify your maneuver.

As long as you focus on flying well and not so much about winning, you'll have an awesome time - I promise.

Edited by zerotc

YT2400 is a great ship. I really like flying it even now. Leebo is a great one use, free boost. As the Ion does not affect you if there is only one. You can even use it a second time to boost into position if your opponent is pointing in the wrong direction and will not have a shot on you next round. Proton rockets are really fun as they fill your donut and most people forget that you can take them. And 4 shots at range one is nice. Use Dash to crash into a rock, than barrel roll off of it. You can really set yourself up into a really nice position.