Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BriceFett

'Reinforcements' limitation?

15 posts in this topic

The command card says deploy to an adjacent square. I had a situation the other day where all adjacent squares already contained figures (mix of hostile and friendlies). Can the card still be played (deploying to the nearest available square) or is it unable to be played in this situation? Thanks.

My opinion:

Because the card does not have a prerequisite of having at least one empty adjacent space, you can play it. Then do as closely as you can, i.e. select the closest possible space. (Although it is not quite do-as-much-as-you-can.)  Edit: read on further into the thread, if there is no adjacent empty space, you can't place the trooper.

Similar situation might happen in the Campaign for example in Friends of Old, where a Rebel Trooper should be placed, but the space might be occupied by a hero. In there the imperial player selects the closest possible space (adjacent) to place the figure.

Edit: This is not a ruling.

Edited by a1bert
BriceFett likes this

I agree, but I would add the caveat that if you had another trooper where an adjacent square was available, then you would have to place the figure adjacent there. However, in the above example where there is only figure left, you would place as close as possible.

BriceFett likes this

A change of opinion to interpret the card with Rules as Written thanks to Jeppe and Clipper. If there is no adjacent empty (and valid) space to place the figure, the instruction in Reinforcements simply doesn't place the figure. This is consistent with the do-as-much-as-you-can principle. If you can't place the reinforcement to an adjacent space, the instruction is skipped.

So, you should not play the card unless one of your Troopers have a room for a new arrival.

My Friends of Old example specifically instructs to replace a token with a figure, thus two figures ending up in the same space by mission rule, the new arrival being Pushed as per previous interpretations (potentially rulings as well).

See https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1583086/skirmish-reinforcement-command-card-and-adjacency.

Edited by a1bert
Cremate likes this

If Reinforcements uses the word "deploy", I would still extrapolate from the deployment rules for skirmish, where it states as close as possible. Does it say deploy or something else?

"Choose 1 of your defeated troopers... Place that figure adjacent to any other figure of its group."

The effect is voluntary, and you can't perform it, so it does not happen. (Also, nothing but sense prevents you from playing Reinforcements when all troopers in that group have been defeated, but also then you can't perform the effect, so it is skipped.)

Also, nothing but sense prevents you from playing Reinforcements when all troopers in that group have been defeated.)

That's not correct. You need a Trooper on the board to play that card. This indeed is described in the rules.

Which rule?

The card does not have a Trooper trait, so you can play it without any trooper on board or even in your squad. But, while you can play it, you can't perform the effect unless you have 1) a defeated trooper with reinforcement cost of 3 of less (you cannot select one if you don't have one), 2) a trooper from the same group on the board, 3) an empty adjacent space to the trooper on the board.

(There is no prerequisite of needing to perform all or any effects of a card to be able to play it, unless explicitly said so or a Command card has a restriction box with a trait requirement.)

Edited by a1bert

The rule saying "You doesn't mean a player, but the figure the card is played by."

If there is no trooper on the board, then there is no one to play that card.

There is no Restriction box in Reinforcements and it does not even use "you".

No restriction box, only cards with a restriction box need to be played on a single friendly figure that matches the restriction listed.

"Use at the start of a round." -- the only prerequisite is that the card is played at the start of a round.

"Choose 1 of your defeated troopers that has a reinforcement cost of 3 or less." -- Certainly this your does not refer to a figure.

"Place that figure adjacent to any other figure of its group."

(Edit: Reinforcements could be written as (but isn't)

Trooper

Use at the start of a round if your reinforcement cost is 3 or less. Place a defeated figure from your group adjacent to you, if possible.

I was generous and added the clarification of "if possible".)

Edited by a1bert

Wouldn't this fall under the deployment rules for rebel heroes in campaign? Where they need to be as close to the blue spawn token as possible, so if all the adjacent spaces are full, they deploy to a close one.

Placing to a specific space is different than deploying to a deployment point, a named space or a tile. You can not place a figure in a space where the figure cannot end movement. Deployment does not cause you to place figures to specific spaces, it tells to place as close as possible. Deployment contains placement, but not all placements are deployments.

Edited by a1bert
Stompburger likes this

The biggest problem is that the group has to be a legal target for the ability to be used. The only way that it could be used is if you were to have figures on the map from that group. It goes along the same line of logic that you cannot reinforce a defeated group. Also I am along the lines of thought that since there wouldn't be any adjacent spot to place the figure then the ability is wasted because there is no legal placement.

Morning all,

I've had official confirmation from Paul Winchester at FFG that the figure cannot be deployed if there's not an available space:

Hi Brice,

I assume you’re referring to the card “Reinforcements.” That card instructs you to “place that figure adjacent to any other figure of its group.” Since you cannot place a figure in a space where it cannot end its movement, such as a space containing another figure, you could not play “Reinforcements” if there were no empty spaces adjacent to other figures in that trooper’s group.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
DerBaer, a1bert and Stompburger like this

It's obvious from the context, so sorry for nitpicking, but you say deployed, when you mean placed. Deployment includes placement as close to a specified point or tile as possible, so that would be possible even when the specified spaces are not empty. The whole question was brought up by the placement in Reinforcements. Placement is only possible to a space the figure can end movement in, and does not have a fallback for 'as close as possible'.

Husker949 likes this