Sign in to follow this  
Arttemis

Accidentally ordered the wrong core set... What to do with the extra?

Hello everyone, I'm a new player and I hope this isn't a frivolous question. Information on this particular spin on having two sets wasn't readily available.

So, I took advantage of Cardhaus's International Board Game Day / Star Wars sale and ended up with an obscene amount of FFG expansions and games. I am getting into X-Wing and wanted to go totally Episode VII+, so I (thought I) ordered the TFA Core Set, and meanwhile, picked up two TIE/FOs and a T-70 from my FLGS in anticipation of the large package's arrival. Turns out, in my haste to catch the deadline before the sale ended, I added the wrong version of the core to my cart. As soon as I realized this, I went back to my FLGS and purchased the TFA set. The original core set is still unopened.

I've heard people say that two core sets are beneficial in X-Wing, even more so than in Armada. While I would appreciate having doubles of the maneuver tools and range ruler, I don't particularly want the classic Galactic Civil War era fighters (because I'd likely have an urge to get everything). I'm satisfied with my current ship array of four TIE/FOs and two T-70s, and will be jumping on the Heroes of the Resistance and TIE/SF packs when they release.

I understand that the damage decks are different between the two sets. Are they compatible? If they are, do they offer unique damage cards? Are TFA damage cards superior? The same goes for the upgrade cards.

If they're perfectly compatible and worth mixing, I'll gladly do so and piecemeal the three ships.

Thank you in advance for any answers!

The damage decks are completely unique in each core and cannot be mixed. The TFA one is probably best overall.

I would say you definitely want R2-D2 for your T-70's but I am sure you could find him cheap elsewhere without popping the core.

Other than that, if you anticipate playing with someone else an extra set of rulers and maneuver templates is very beneficial, as are the dice. Also, the asteroids are unique in each starter and can be used together.

I have no idea what you mean you want to stay complete TFA era.

All of the rebel/resistance ships work together.   Without the OG Core Set, you dont have access to R2D2, arguable the best astro in the game.  You don't get Luke or biggs.

Also, there are a lot of good TIE fighter pilots in the core... mauler mithel being one.

There are literally only 2 ships for TFA era... so you're severely limiting yourself.

Edited by Shaidown

There are enough unique items in the original core set plus the extra dice, asteroids and templates are almost a must have. Definitely worth having. Yeah, sell the ships and pilots if you don't want them. But every thing is compatable with everything else.if you are only wanting ships from ep 7, then you'll only have t-70s and tie/fos until the fall

There is no such thing as "extra" x-wing components.  The game grows to encompass everything you have. 

Seriously though, even from a merely pragmatic standpoint... you are limiting yourself to two ships, and we are not likely to get more in the near future.  We assume that the Special Forces TIE is not too far away.  Kylo Ren's Upsilon class shuttle MAY be somewhere in the mix, but the Resistance has ONE (1, uno, ein) fighter and we are unlikely to see any source material for new TFA-era ships until December 2017.  That's simply not a balanced or diverse game you're getting into.  So many of the interesting game mechanics do not come into play in any way with simply these two ships.

Embrace the light side.  Keep the original core. "Make many mistakes"

The skinny on the damage deck is this:  There are a handful of cards in the original damage for which the critical descriptions don't really do anything to certain classes of ships.  Obviously this is just because the cards were written before the designers had any idea of the directions the game would branch into.  The new deck is vastly superior in that it applies an equal amount of "oh ****" to every type of ship. You won't ever use the old one.

Why you would not want original Core set eludes me.  Those ships and cards are very important in the game.  With the logic your using just go vote Trump and get it over with. lol.

Lolwut? Trump?

...okay...

@OP: if you can get a good amount of money for the core set, maybe sell it off or exchange it and pick up the Falcon or something. Personally, I would just keep it. The extra dice are nice, the extra asteroids are nice, the two TIE Fighters are nice, and the X-Wing is nice as long as you throw Integrated Astromech on it.

And I hate to say it, but you're not going to have a lot of luck sticking to TFA-era stuff; at least, not for the time being. The ships are good, but you don't see a lot of competitive lists made with just the TIE/fo or T-70; and even then, they often rely on upgrades from other expansions.

I don't particularly want the classic Galactic Civil War era fighters (because I'd likely have an urge to get everything)

Repaint them in First Order/Resistance livery and add them to the Resistance and First Order as relics.

This.  Heck, we did *SEE* T-65s and TIE/ln fighters in Force Awakens, granted as wrecks.  But it's not impossible we'll see them appear in later movies as part of what is left of the Resistance.

If nothing else, the things of greatest value in the original core set - IE., which you will likely use in EVERY game you play - are the extra dice (neither set actually has enough dice to play the game on its own), and the more complete set of asteroids (the game balance really does REQUIRE the obstacles - it just doesn't play right without them)...having 12 unique rocks to choose 6 from (or 3 in tournaments, given your opponent also brings 3 of his choice) gives you a lot of flexibility in that part of list building.

Much as the others have said but in addition...... repaint the Original core ships and use email as extra T70s and TIE/fo if you want they are similar enough. OK you do not have the movement dials but there are ways around that like writing a quick sheet up that says things like x maneuver on this T65 dial is now Yorke maneuver as a T70 has that instead.

I will also tell you to keep them both. The original Core set has some great TIE Fighter pilots (Mauler Mithel!) and upgrades that you can't get in the expansions.

The ships and upgrades are compatible. People use R2-D2 with Poe Dameron all the time for a tanky X-wing.

Some cheap TIE fighters can help fill out an Imperial list.

You think there aren't any Imperial outposts that don't have some 30-year old TIE Fighters on hand? It is a solid ship and the named pilots punch above their weight class. Some of the best pilot abilities in the game are on TIE fighters.

Edited by Vulf

Personally, I'd keep and open the original core set, but I understand if you want to stay First Order and Resistance only.

If you're committed to that plan, then find a nice, public place (your FLGS, local Library, etc.) and host a demo. Mess around with the TFA ships, see what kind of interest you draw, and when you're ready to wrap up hold a quick drawing to see which of your audience wins the Core Set (making sure they know going in that it has OT ships, old rules and damage deck, etc.).

It's good for the dice, different rocks.  Extra templates are always useful.  The upgrade cards are good...R2-D2 especially, and it's the only place to get it.

The damage deck has cards like "Injured pilot - your pilot ability and elite pilot talent card break" (may not be exact wording), which is pretty catastrophic if you run lists with these things.  But if you want to run swarms of ships without pilot abilities or talent cards, it's probably a better choice.

You could always take the ships and their pilot cards, and see if you can trade them for something else.  Maybe more of the TFA core set ones.

You guys have convinced me! I'll keep the original core set for the additional content!

Still, the thought of mixing eras bothers me. There were no operational T-65s shown in TFA, so I could not allow myself to include them within a squad of ships from that time period. Painting them to appear older and retrofitted to meet later standards does sound intriguing.

For the X-Wing could just use Luke and say it's old Luke with his relic of a fighter. Help with the fluff.

An unrelated point, from what you've said you'd end up with 4 ties and 4 t-70s (unless I read wrong) and just so you know, that'd be uneven. 1 t-70 is roughly 2 tie/fo. So just something to keep in mind.

For the X-Wing could just use Luke and say it's old Luke with his relic of a fighter. Help with the fluff.

An unrelated point, from what you've said you'd end up with 4 ties and 4 t-70s (unless I read wrong) and just so you know, that'd be uneven. 1 t-70 is roughly 2 tie/fo. So just something to keep in mind.

In addition to the original core set, I have 4 TIE/FOs and 2 T-70s right now, with the intention of buying the Heroes of the Resistance and inevitable TIE/SF packs when they release. Edited by Arttemis

I kinda made the same mistake as you. I wanted 2 core sets, but I realized they were different after I started unpacking the 2nd one, so I'm sitting here with 3 sets now, just so I can have 2 of the same damage decks.

Your next problem will be "what ships should I buy", or "what are the must have expansions". I found this link really helpful. http://www.d20radio.com/main/guide-what-ships-should-i-buy-for-x-wing-imperial-edition/

They have links for all 3 factions, with a pretty good run down of the ship and the upgrade cards included, and rank them from top to bottom as a whole.