Sign in to follow this  
AncientAngel

3D printed Space Station Objective. [input wanted]

This is something I have been toying around with for over a year. I finally sat down yesterday put something together.

link: http://shpws.me/MaVt

If my measurements are correct, this should be the same size as its card board counter part by +/- 1mm. The price I can not do muh about. I will have it available in PLA material which should drop the price down. But it may loose some detail and make the layers of its construction more visable.

I want some honest input on the design sofar.

Does it need more detail? This may increase the printing cost a little,

Should this be two separate parts? (Base & Space Station) to make painting it a little easier. However, this will increase the cost to print.

Do you prefer the curved flight stand verses a straight pole?

Anything you would recommed for changes to this objective?

And finally is there anything accessory wise you would like to see made?

Thanks for your time.

So personally this is a great looking model.  There are a few things that are bothering me about it though.

1.) the detail is a little thin.  May I suggest some sort of texture or line pattern on the platform and the sides holding up the platform.

2.) I don't like the stand, it just feels like it takes away from the model because it is a space station yet if feels like it is standing on a surface.  I am not familiar with what you can do with 3-D printers but if you can make the stand detachable or give it the option of putting it on a clear plastic peg to fit on the space station token, and the bottom of the model itself, that would work.  I have three of the old resin 3-D space stations, and one of the added effects of using a removable clear plastic peg was that the model could spin on the token giving it a sense of being in space feel. 

Edited by Brikhause

This is awesome feed back.

I should be able to add in more details.

As for the curved peg. I can remove it and it should help bring the cost down. I can also put a small hole in the bottom of it to help with those clear peg poles. I can also do options to include or not include things. So if you only want the space station there wouldnt be an added cost for the base.

My imput here:

_The antennas are too thin. Even if the analysis by Shapeways is that they will hold, they probably wont (believe me, I know). Specially since you are making it polished. You should join them to make them just one object coming out of the top, even if it has the look of several antennas. Like this:

pic3013037_md.jpg

_The landing platforms need more detail. At least they need texture of some sort. Unless you are going to add some stickers over it, you will need something more when painting those. Even if it doest make sense for a ship to land on a surface so bumpy, you really need it to make it look like there is some texture.

pic3013038_md.jpg

_And I have to advise against Polished materials with a model like this. It might give you issues with the stand and the thin neck.

wip1.jpg

Here is a WIP of some of the changes I have made so far. I still have along way to go but I am increasing the level of detail.

MelMiniatures: Thank you for your input, it means a lot to have another Shapeways modeler share their experiences and findings. I am used to just working with the SWF material and I was hoping the Polished would give it more of a refined finish look, less grainy. Good to know of the possibility of breaking off parts. I have seen this happen a few times even when the thickness was 1mm. Seems to be hit or miss some times.

The Antennas are over lapping to give them more strength but I do agree I need to limit the possibility of this area breaking.  

Everyone thanks for the input. I will keep working on this tonight.

nice I like the added detail. and with no base/marker attached the one in the game can be used and the 3d station can be moved around on or near it for ships flying through without moving the placement marker. :)

Edited by ouzel

So personally this is a great looking model.  There are a few things that are bothering me about it though.

1.) the detail is a little thin.  May I suggest some sort of texture or line pattern on the platform and the sides holding up the platform.

2.) I don't like the stand, it just feels like it takes away from the model because it is a space station yet if feels like it is standing on a surface.  I am not familiar with what you can do with 3-D printers but if you can make the stand detachable or give it the option of putting it on a clear plastic peg to fit on the space station token, and the bottom of the model itself, that would work.  I have three of the old resin 3-D space stations, and one of the added effects of using a removable clear plastic peg was that the model could spin on the token giving it a sense of being in space feel. 

I'd like to see it in ultra detail and wouldn't mind paying for it. As far as the stand goes I'd set it up to fit on a large or medium ship base. The only problem, as a friend pointed out is when you try to leave your ship or squads sitting on the station to heal.

that's why I said having it on a small and no base is a good idea, that way you can move it on or near the card board marker that comes with the game. this lets you park your ships on the marker. :)

I'd like to see it in ultra detail and wouldn't mind paying for it. As far as the stand goes I'd set it up to fit on a large or medium ship base. The only problem, as a friend pointed out is when you try to leave your ship or squads sitting on the station to heal.

Ultra Detail runs over $35 on shapeways vs $12 in SWF. There is more details I could add that would be picked up but they would be so tiny .3 of a MM differences. To really make those small details pop on something so small they need to exaggerated more. The only real guaranty with Ultra Detail is the finish quality which is noticeable.

Currently this Space Station has a 3mm wide by 3mm deep hole in the bottom of it for a pegged base. Far as that goes, a Neodymium magnet can be glue there to make its removal from a base much easier. I can also have a printed base available with a hole for a clear peg as well but it cost more than the Station does and at 2mm thick it will most certainly be bendy.  

Love it, I'm looking forward to the final product in the ultra detail material. I would personally prefer a version without the huge base.

Aesthethics-wise I'd prefer it if the round 'top' was just a little bit (like a couple of mm) wider, but that's personal, other than that you nailed it.

Edited by Lord Tareq