Sign in to follow this  
YariSamurai

Is the Royal Guard Champion Carnor Jax?

Hello fellow commanders,

I ordered the Champion figure a few days ago, just because he looks awsome and people on this forum have told me to buy the figures I think looks coolest. Yesterday I went to my school  and by chance I found "Crimson Empire III" on a pile of books that were to be given away. I was really lucky because it's on English and I'm not even on a English school or in a country in which English is the official language, besides, it's a school library. I took it home because I already knew it was about the awsome Royal Guard. I know that Carnor Jax only appears in the previous books (or doesn´t appear in the series at all) becase I read it until late night (yeah that's why school today wasn't that good for me), I read it trough. I just want to note that it's awsome but unfortunatley  Kir Kanos only fights in his armour for less than 10 pages.

Well, back to the topic: I know more or less how Carnor Jax looks like and I obviousley know how Kir Kanos looks like, so why does everybody say that Jax is the Champion and not Kanos? Has it to do with stuff I didn't read yet?

Thanks in advance,

YariSamurai

Yes, he's Carnor Jax.  The armor coloring is exactly right for Jax.  I'd like to see a Kir Kanos at some point too, but I think it's been confirmed somewhere that the RGC is Carnor Jax.  I've painted my RGC to look like Kir Kanos, rather than Carnor Jax.

You can see in the Gencon 2014 demo video made by TC that he was supposed to be named Carnor Jax. They are playing the mission Drawn in and at the end of the video we have a look into the book where it is written 'Deploy the reserved Carnor Jax' when now we deploy the Royal Guard Champion instead.

The name probably been changed because, if I remember correctly, that's when Disney decided to get rid of the EU and probably decided to be more strict on what can and can not be included in the game. So they went for a generic name for him.

It's similar to the issue I think with the Smuggler pack. We can all agree that there's some similarity there to Dash Rendar, simply because of the figure, nevermind the stats and such. These are iconic looks, and FFG are smart to play on them. However, I can totally see their limits with the legends/canon thing.

They obviously can do it somewhat in X-Wing, although even there they weren't allowed to use real pilot names for the T-70, and have a bunch of made up pilots for the Tie-FO, so there's potential that they are being clamped down on some the IP content. 

I don't know, I'm just surmising.

Jacob

Actually, he's George from accounting.

Little known fact: George is also the emperor's personal tax preparer. He has supreme finance-fu skills and even is force sensitive, which is how the emperor owns half the galaxy yet doesn't owe anything in taxes.

Edited by lowercaseM

although even there they weren't allowed to use real pilot names for the T-70, and have a bunch of made up pilots for the Tie-FO

There's a new expansion coming out with a bunch of named T-70 pilots.   It's likely that they'll do something similar when they make the TIE/sf latter on.

The reason they lacked named pilots for the TFA core was because Disney hadn't given them any names yet and likely didn't want them making up ones of their own.

But Carnor Jax exists in X-Wing so I'm not why they could use him there, but not use him in IA.

Yes, he's Carnor Jax.  The armor coloring is exactly right for Jax.  I'd like to see a Kir Kanos at some point too, but I think it's been confirmed somewhere that the RGC is Carnor Jax.  I've painted my RGC to look like Kir Kanos, rather than Carnor Jax.

I prize my Kir Kanos Star Wars miniature figure.  I would love if he was in IA. I'll bet Kir didn't survive the great Mouse purge.  Though Kir's interceptor is in X-Wing, no?

although even there they weren't allowed to use real pilot names for the T-70, and have a bunch of made up pilots for the Tie-FO

There's a new expansion coming out with a bunch of named T-70 pilots.   It's likely that they'll do something similar when they make the TIE/sf latter on.

The reason they lacked named pilots for the TFA core was because Disney hadn't given them any names yet and likely didn't want them making up ones of their own.

But Carnor Jax exists in X-Wing so I'm not why they could use him there, but not use him in IA.

Probably because a) Imperial Aces was released March 2014 (so production probably started mid-2013), while the moratorium on EU stuff was announced a month later, and b) unlike Imperial Assault, X-Wing has no narrative to speak of, so it's easier for things to slide. Pretty much anything goes, including Poe Dameron flying around shooting Mara Jade in the face, and also c) they had to figure out someone to put in that set as an Interceptor pilot. As far as I know, FFG does not make up pilots for X-Wing the same way they make up characters for Imperial Assault, so everone is from the previous new/old canon lore, no matter how obscure. I think most of the named TIE Fighter pilots are based on one-line flavour text from the old Decipher CCG. I guess if Rebels and Force Awakens didn't come out, they'd really be scraping the barrel at this point.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

As far as I know, FFG does not make up pilots for X-Wing the same way they make up characters for Imperial Assault

They do, and they still are. Also there has been no moratorium on EU stuff in X-Wing, or Aramada for that matter there are plenty of EU ships and characters still being added into those games.  FFG has in fact even made it's on ship, the Raider which is in both X-wing and Armada, which may actually be featured in one of the canon books.  A book mentions Raiders but in the context it could mean the ship, or it could mean people who raid... 

Plus the narrative of IA only counts if it's actually considered canon, which as far as I know it is not.

Oh, I didn't realize Mara Jade was in X-wing? What is she flying?

She doesn't fly anything, she's a crew member.