Sign in to follow this  
SPECPOL

Sourcebook for Imperials?

Am I the only person on here that would love to have a book for playing this from the Imperial side? I think a campaign could already be run with the majority of classes, and the newly announced soldier book should fill in any gaps, but I think an Imperial Sourcebook with info on ISB Agents, Inquisitors, and Imperial officers, as well as Imperial regulations, practices, and procedures would be amazing. Has anyone on here run a campaign with Imperial PC's? Thoughts? Ideas? 

Honestly, Wookieepedia is all the info you need. We have stats for all the weapons and such, so if you just spend some time on Wookieepedia, digging into the structure of the Empire and its policies, you can run anything Imperial. No need for a book.

There is an Imperial Duty chart in circulation that's kinda the first big step.

The old WEG Imperial Sourcebook is easy to find and includes piles of fluff that's still coming back more-or-less unchanged in the reupped canon. That's where you organizational info can be found.

You'll probably still have to custom up a stat block here and there, but as more books are released that'll fill out.

Really that's about all you'll need to start right now...

You're certainly not the only person; it's just that most "evil games" eventually end up turning the players against each other, or having to try not to. It's usually the benefit of Good to be able to work as a team, supporting each other's failings, while Evil would hide it's failings, and not trust others to achieve to their (perceived) degree of skill. Certainly, this could be seen as an overgeneralization, but having played a few other "evil games" it does happen. The leading NPCs (the Emperor, here, I suppose), will compel you to fight amongst yourselves, both to weed out the weak, and to distract you from unifying underneath him (reason for the Rule of Two), and most evil characters won't value each other, hence player in-fighting, and then the game falls in. The alternative is Imperial people who honestly believe the Empire is good, with some bad in it, and they are just blindly doing their job. This works until they learn that the Empire IS evil, at least in its upper echelons, and they have to decide if they turn a blind eye, or rebel against it, to make the bad better, which they make the line for.

Evil just doesn't support teamwork, to the extent that good often does, so they don't make as many of the books cover it. The good guys fight the bad guys for justice, while the bad guys fight the good guys for kicks, because they are terrible people. On the other hand, I haven't seen much in Age of Rebellion that couldn't easily have a word swapped out, and boom, you're a squad of "elite" Imperial troopers, maybe serving an Inquisitor, or a Moff, rather than the Rebel cell leader you otherwise answer to, and the gear requisitioning seems it would be the same. For that, I hardly think they'd need a whole book; they could've done it with a handful of text blocks, in the AoR books, for if you wanted to be Imperial, sort of how they hint at the EU, before/during the time Disney torched it, but without using too many references to it, as they knew the canon was about to be fired (pun :D ). Another problem can be when the bad guy's leader punishes them for failure, and it looks more like the GM doing it for kicks, when that's how the evil leader WOULD act, and then it feels more like players vs. GM, rather than GM helping players tell a fun story, which also often kills games.

Edited by venkelos

You're certainly not the only person; it's just that most "evil games" eventually end up turning the players against each other, or having to try not to. It's usually the benefit of Good to be able to work as a team, supporting each other's failings, while Evil would hide it's failings, and not trust others to achieve to their (perceived) degree of skill. Certainly, this could be seen as an overgeneralization, but having played a few other "evil games" it does happen. The leading NPCs (the Emperor, here, I suppose), will compel you to fight amongst yourselves, both to weed out the weak, and to distract you from unifying underneath him (reason for the Rule of Two), and most evil characters won't value each other, hence player in-fighting, and then the game falls in. The alternative is Imperial people who honestly believe the Empire is good, with some bad in it, and they are just blindly doing their job. This works until they learn that the Empire IS evil, at least in its upper echelons, and they have to decide if they turn a blind eye, or rebel against it, to make the bad better, which they make the line for.

Evil just doesn't support teamwork, to the extent that good often does, so they don't make as many of the books cover it. The good guys fight the bad guys for justice, while the bad guys fight the good guys for kicks, because they are terrible people. On the other hand, I haven't seen much in Age of Rebellion that couldn't easily have a word swapped out, and boom, you're a squad of "elite" Imperial troopers, maybe serving an Inquisitor, or a Moff, rather than the Rebel cell leader you otherwise answer to, and the gear requisitioning seems it would be the same. For that, I hardly think they'd need a whole book; they could've done it with a handful of text blocks, in the AoR books, for if you wanted to be Imperial, sort of how they hint at the EU, before/during the time Disney torched it, but without using too many references to it, as they knew the canon was about to be fired (pun :D ). Another problem can be when the bad guy's leader punishes them for failure, and it looks more like the GM doing it for kicks, when that's how the evil leader WOULD act, and then it feels more like players vs. GM, rather than GM helping players tell a fun story, which also often kills games.

The problem isn't playing evil, it's the maturity level of the people involved. Evil games work great and just as well as good games. It just requires people to not be immature about it. Being evil is not permission to kill other PC's, or disrupt their plans, or do anything else that would overall destroy the group focus of the game. Most of what you list are not problems inherent to be evil (because many of those things can exist in good games too honestly) they are problems in people doing evil maturely. 

For instance the Emperor simply does not compel people to fight against one another. At what point do we ever see him pit Vader against Tarkin? Then again evil characters can and do value other characters. Vader valued his son and his wife. As a matter of fact the value he placed on his wife was used against him. But that kind of manipulation can come from good players too. Evil does in fact support teamwork. The Moffs and officers under Palpitine all worked together after all. Flip side .... bad guys do not fight good guys for kicks. They typically fight good guys because those good guys oppose their goals. Thus fighting good guys is a function of achieving a goal. And that goal can be justice. Justice is why Vader is evil in the first place. Just because you fight for justice doesn't mean you are good. Evil can fight for justice, though it may be twisted in some fashion. 

In a nutshell there is nothing inherent in evil that doesn't work for an rpg. I've played plenty of evil game that worked well. I've done games where evil and good characters were working together. It all boils down to maturity level. People have to not want to be dicks to each other. A lot of people play evil as an excuse to misbehave. Those people shouldn't be playing evil. But there are some that handle it very well. 

In the end how playing evil works out is dependent on the people involved and if they are using evil as an excuse to engage in bad behavior or if they are exploring an evil story. But a lot of the problems you list for evil are present in good games when players stop working together and instead game with the intent of satisfying their needs as opposed to the group needs. 

I thought they had Ranged (Heavy) as a group skill and forgot to band together into minion groups. Those poor minions operating solo...

I kinda like this.

"Look at Barry over there, "practicing".  What a loser."

Later...

"Barry, they're shooting at us, what do we do!?"