Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Dakotan

Set Your Price: New Merc Preview

This sounds interesting:

There are three distinct companions included in The Bespin Gambit, but the Ugnaught Tinkerer is only interested in one: the Junk Droid.

Two more companions; wonder what they could be.

It would be nice to know so I can start searching for 3D proxies ASAP, FFG!! :lol:

Yes, the other two companion prospects entice me! I just hope they release an expansion with the figurines. I'm absolutely anti-character-token.

If anyone finds some great droid miniatures, perhaps from WotC if they made it, please share them with us.

If anyone finds some great droid miniatures, perhaps from WotC if they made it, please share them with us.

Coolstuffinc has got plenty for $1.49 - $1.99, but you'll probably have to settle for Seps. I just searched droid; there're seven pages of results, although most are Android Netrunner products.

Why, oh WHY is the junk droid on the card an R2-ish unit and the token appears to be an R5 unit?  WHY?!?!?!?!?

I'm really confused by the other two companions as well.  This is Bespin... there were no small characters tied to imperial agents, Bossk, Lando or Wing Guards.  The only companion I can think of would be an interrogation droid for Blaise.  Unless...

1.)  Lobot?

2.)  Mynock?

3.)  Ghost Obi-Wan?

4.)  Yoda?

All of the above would be interesting 'support' units that could potentially be companions tied to skirmish upgrades or combat cards in Skirmish I suppose...

Edit: Review shows that Blaise has an uncovered campaign deployment and Bossk has an uncovered card as well.

Edited by tomkat364

2x Trando

2x eWing Guard

Under Duress 

Elite Nexu

I agree that Under Duress is a tight squeeze for 2 points... but for 1 point it would be an auto include every time.

I'd be interested to test that list.... probably not as flexible and versatile as I'd like, but auto damage or discarding 2 command cards is a pretty huge deal. 

Why, oh WHY is the junk droid on the card an R2-ish unit and the token appears to be an R5 unit?  WHY?!?!?!?!?

I'm really confused by the other two companions as well.  This is Bespin... there were no small characters tied to imperial agents, Bossk, Lando or Wing Guards.  The only companion I can think of would be an interrogation droid for Blaise.  Unless...

1.)  Lobot?

2.)  Mynock?

3.)  Ghost Obi-Wan?

4.)  Yoda?

All of the above would be interesting 'support' units that could potentially be companions tied to skirmish upgrades or combat cards in Skirmish I suppose...

Edit: Review shows that Blaise has an uncovered campaign deployment and Bossk has an uncovered card as well.

Did you look at the previews for all the figure packs? We can see Bossks' and Blaise's cards though the Blaise card is skirmish only, still I don't think he would get a companion in only campaign.

My guess is the Ithorian hero (already forgot her name) will get a companion as a class skill and either the Agenda deck will get an interrogation droid or the Imperial Class deck will get something. Personally I find the idea of agenda/class specific units to be VERY interesting and wish they had done something like that sooner with units like the Royal Guards.

This sounds interesting:

There are three distinct companions included in The Bespin Gambit, but the Ugnaught Tinkerer is only interested in one: the Junk Droid.

Two more companions; wonder what they could be.

It would be nice to know so I can start searching for 3D proxies ASAP, FFG!! :lol:

Yes, the other two companion prospects entice me! I just hope they release an expansion with the figurines. I'm absolutely anti-character-token.

Coolstuffinc has got plenty for $1.49 - $1.99, but you'll probably have to settle for Seps. I just searched droid; there're seven pages of results, although most are Android Netrunner products.
Be wary of the WOTC droids. Almost all of them are out of scale. The only one I've been happy with is the Gonk droid. It is a good match. All of the other astromechs are too small.

As such, I've opted for a second R2/3PO pack and am painting the R2 into the junk droid (though the card is an R3 series and I seem to have misplaced my transparent paint...). 3PO is now painted as K-3PO for when I run a full on Hoth team for Skirmish.

Edited by FSD

I imagine there would be one companion for each faction. Imperials would get some sort of scout or interrogation droid, while Rebels could get almost anything... a Jawa, an Ewok, Ghost Yoda, Lobot, an astromech, a protocol droid etc.. 

This is cool stuff but the imperial class deck is the real winner here. By far that is the most interesting class deck I've seen for the imperials. Not necessarily the best off the knee I'd always run, but it is interesting, and powerful in a way we haven't seen

When Twin Shadows was initially announced, I was really hoping Saska would have some kind of companion, like a turret she could throw out, or a droid who would help her get things done. It'll be interesting to see if they add anything like that for new heroes.

Stealth applies to a single figura at the end of it's activation and True Shadow applies to the entiry group? Is that right?

The top part of True Shadow applies to all figures in a group when they are deployed.

The top part of Stealth applies to all figures in a group it is attached to, the bottom part can be used by one figure in the group it is attached to per round (because it exhausts).

When Twin Shadows was initially announced, I was really hoping Saska would have some kind of companion, like a turret she could throw out, or a droid who would help her get things done. It'll be interesting to see if they add anything like that for new heroes.

Same.  I was expecting her to be a pet class rather than an 'alchemist'.

I find it weird that Stealth refers to "you" and not "a figure in this group. "

You is the standard way to refer to the figure that is currently activating / performing an action or ability (and sometimes the player). I think the explanation of You is poorly worded in the RRG, it mixes apples and oranges by talking about abilities that are available to all figures in a group. OTOH that applies to True Shadow.

An ability that has exhaust as a cost can only be used when the card is ready, so only one figure in a group can use it. (Just like Field Officer / Field General.)

Edited by a1bert

I really like eWings. They are exactly what Boba has been needing in a list for awhile. Bring on Boba's sniper like ability with they're swarmy trooper strengths and you have yourself a pretty solid team! The Elite Ugnaughts excite me but I'll really have to sit down with a proper cup of coffee and stew on how best to use them. They could be an interesting addition to a "Punishing strike" list that lays on the Stun or "Under Duress" and lay on the bleeds. 

Under Duress is a game changer and insane. But I think you have to commit for a list like this, getting rid of the good ol' gideon/c3p0 combo. Two groups of trandoshans are suddenly already potentially over half the enemies command deck in one round, so that makes them very playable. Since IG-88 can attack twice, he might make the cut in such a list, as he can cut 2-4 command cards. I think they are trying to buff IG and Trandoshans here. Boba Fett is also fine, but I think the Strain ability is not as good as IG-88s.

I think IG-88, Wing Guard and Trandoshans profit most from this card, because their effect is consistent and easy to trigger, so a start could be:

Under Duress 2 

2x Trandoshans 14

IG-88 12 

1x Elite Wing Guard 9

IG-88 leaves 3 points for an Ugnaught for the Bleed ability, other options are including Nexu for the Bleed and Bossk or Boba for their Strain Abilities. (Bossks Strain is super strong, but not reliable, which might be important for this kind of build. Then again, he is cheap.)

I think that could be a new archetype. It should be possible to make a list that burns trough the enemies command card deck in 2 rounds, and afterwards deals a good amount of extra damage (or before, if the enemy player choses to take the damage).

2x Merciless in the command deck is also nice.

Needless to say, I am quite excited :)

Under Duress is a game changer and insane. But I think you have to commit for a list like this, getting rid of the good ol' gideon/c3p0 combo. Two groups of trandoshans are suddenly already potentially over half the enemies command deck in one round, so that makes them very playable. Since IG-88 can attack twice, he might make the cut in such a list, as he can cut 2-4 command cards. I think they are trying to buff IG and Trandoshans here. Boba Fett is also fine, but I think the Strain ability is not as good as IG-88s.

I think IG-88, Wing Guard and Trandoshans profit most from this card, because their effect is consistent and easy to trigger, so a start could be:

Under Duress 2 

2x Trandoshans 14

IG-88 12 

1x Elite Wing Guard 9

IG-88 leaves 3 points for an Ugnaught for the Bleed ability, other options are including Nexu for the Bleed and Bossk or Boba for their Strain Abilities. (Bossks Strain is super strong, but not reliable, which might be important for this kind of build. Then again, he is cheap.)

I think that could be a new archetype. It should be possible to make a list that burns trough the enemies command card deck in 2 rounds, and afterwards deals a good amount of extra damage (or before, if the enemy player choses to take the damage).

2x Merciless in the command deck is also nice.

Needless to say, I am quite excited :)

Don't forget Bossk, with his Indiscriminate Fire...whenever he rolls a surge with it, each opponent adjacent to the targeted space receives 1 Strain...that's 2 cards per figure, if your opponent wants to not take damage.  Huge!

From the campaign side this to me is the best looking expansion so far.  Very intriguing figures, a great class deck and what many are calling meh agenda sets I actually see a lot of merit.  Plus the iconic tiles to fight over will really add to the thematic side of things.  I look forward to running this campaign for my group, but first they need to get through Hoth!

Slow down FFG on the expansions! *ducks*

From the skirmish side of things I think that they have really buffed up the Mercs which is great, many people were asking for that.  I thought it would come with a Jabba expansion but now it has me second guessing whether we will even get that one.. or do they need two in a row?  I guess if Endor is next after Jabba then it makes sense since Endor will be primarily Reb/Imp based.

In the Shadows says that at the start of an activation code a figure, it becomes hidden. I noticed two things: it does not specify that the activated figure needs to be the one hidden (contrary to the summary found in the article), and the activation does not even need to be am imperial activation. You can use this at the start of a hero's activation, say after they've activated a specific hero so they can get a shot at the figure you just hid. That's way better than I initially thought.

As ThatJakeGuy has brought to my attention at all of those new campaign cards can be used on AT-STs. 

An AT-ST 'in the shadows' or as a 'true shadow' lol that's so dumb. Ninja AT-ST tiptoeing behind enemy lines.

I like it.

See: Indominus Rex ;)