Sign in to follow this  
IG88E

TFA - No extended version on DVD??

I haven't watched my DVD since I got it.  I know it's got deleted scenes.  Can you watch the deleted scenes added into the movie, though?  Man, if not, it will make me want to watch a pirated version just to have the scenes added in.  I hate having to watch a deleted scene just kind of detached from it all.

Scenes are deleted for a reason; they're no longer part of the film (and oftentimes aren't finished). Reinserting them into the movie at the correct chronological marker does not suddenly make them canonical or even complete.

I rarely even bother with watching deleted scenes anymore.  If the movie was any good to begin with, they're probably just garbage.  As much as I like the LotR movies, I do find the existence of such far superior extended cuts a slight against them.  They cut out some choice meat but left a ridiculous amount of fat in the theatrical versions.  I'd wager a good editor could probably cut the extended editions down to something closer to the theatrical cut without losing too much in the process.

Depends. Sometimes films have been edited against the director's will. And are still good. While the extended version is better. One example for this could be "Blade Runner".

IS Be...

:D 

I think the problem is nostalgia

Some of us.....or all of us grew up with the original trilogy and it's like all first loves. Even if the loves that come later are better (prequels no, sequel not far behind) they'll never be as magical or have as big a meaning as the first.

Sigh

Just remembering my first love......:) better off single

Yep

Han shot Greedo before he got a chance to shoot

Ghostly_Skull.gif  SCUM%2BGREEDO.png    REB%252520HAN..png

and

Anyone introducing someone (such as their children) to Star Wars should always begin with the Original Trilogy. At least ANH and ESB before ever watching the prequels.

REB%252520X-WING.png             IMP%252520TIE%252520NEW.png  IMP%252520TIE%252520ADVANCED%252520BLUE. IMP%252520TIE%252520NEW.png

My thoughts are:

ANH  :D 

ESB  :wub: 

TPM  :mellow: 

AotC  :angry: 

RotS  ^_^ 

RotJ  ;) 

TFA  :P 

After that the Episodes, and series, can be watched in order.

I've just watched Episodes I and II, The Clone Wars series 1-5, The Lost Missions and Episode III. Rebels is next, followed by the next four films. It's taking time.

Dat...

You would think that if any group should be wary of special editions billed as "the director's true vision," it would be Star Wars fans.

There is a difference between what Lucas has done, and say, something like the Aliens Director's Cut.

I'm a huge fan of the Aliens films, but I don't really think the Special Edition of Aliens added much to the film. Seeing Newt's family breaks up some of the suspense of the Marines' landing. I mean, as a viewer, you "know" that the aliens will have killed everyone, but you don't know. The scenes with the sentry guns used recycled alien death footage from the processor escape, and didn't add much to the film. Really, the only useful additions came in the short, small scenes. Ripley's daughter gives us an idea why she seems so despondent and aimless and willing to go with the Marines, plus it fleshes out her relationship with newt. The the small things like the extended Sulaco intro and a few of the interactions with the Marines.

On the other hand, the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3 is a massive and fundamental change to the film. It's too bad David Fincher refused to work on it, but it was created using his original storyboards and based on what his vision of the film is. It has an alternate, and vastly improved ending, as well as fixing quite a few things,  such as characters whose deaths were edited out of the theatrical cut by a Fox studio that was trying to turn a thematic piece about sacrifice and redemption into an action film.

Blade Runner is another example of a great "Director's Cut". But really, a director's cut is only going to be great if the director is great. A David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club) Director's Cut? A Ridley Scott (Alien, Black Hawk Down) Director's Cut? Okay, I'll play along. A JJ Abrams (Gone Fishin', Cloverfield) Director's Cut? No thanks, lol. You did enough damage the first time.

Don't forget, for a lot of people Greedo shot first and the first movies they saw were the prequels, taking away most of the impact of ESB.

Their parents failed them. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

they'll never be as magical or have as big a meaning as the first.

Can you ever match that first sight of the ISD filling the big screen from overhead...especially when all you'd had before was 2001.

No start to a movie, to a host of movies, can ever beat the start of ANH.

they'll never be as magical or have as big a meaning as the first.

Can you ever match that first sight of the ISD filling the big screen from overhead...especially when all you'd had before was 2001.

No start to a movie, to a host of movies, can ever beat the start of ANH.

Wuz Very GOOD!

:D  :wub:  ^_^

ARM%252520EMP%252520ISD.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png                  IMP%2BLASERS.png

REB%2BLASERS.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png

REB%2BLASERS.png                      

ARM%2BREB%2BCOR.png

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

DVD?  Uh.... this is like asking for 8 track tape of sound track man.

Get with it download Remux versions of Blu Rays or buy the Blue Ray.

Lol goodness!

Someday

But DVDs cost less allowing more money for my toy starships :)

I'd rather create narratives and campaign them than sit couched in front of a screen.

I think at this point if you are introducing your children to Star Wars, you should show them in this order. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.(when they are released). That way they get all the OT reveals, then all the PT universe expansion and back story, then "relive" the OT so as to be fresh when introduced to the ST. And be sure to explain who everyone is at the start of the PT and ST. My son saw the OT first, but he already know the big surprises(Vader is Luke's dad, Leia is Luke's sister) thanks to being smart and picking up on all the references in pop culture.

My oldest (14) only watched original versions of the original trilogy (Han only shoots). Eventually I showed him the prequels, but only after TOT was ingrained. Middle child (12) isn't so much of a fan although I did same with her. Probably failed as a parent. Redemption for me in that the 10 y.o. pretty much saw whatever movie when it was playing, in random order. She loves it all, and hugely loves Padme and watching TPM. She doesn't get what is going on with all the political procedural scenes, but who does, am I right! I'm not about to tell her that the prequels are terribly written and directed and that she shouldn't like them. Like the 14 y.o., she's now playing X-wing with me as well! I got her TFA for her birthday, so am viewed as best dad ever right now.

Edited by Darth Lenny

Yep

Han shot Greedo before he got a chance to shoot

and

Anyone introducing someone (such as their children) to Star Wars should always begin with the Original Trilogy. At least ANH and ESB before ever watching the prequels.

My thoughts are:

ANH

ESB

TPM

AotC

RotS

RotJ

TFA

After that the Episodes, and series, can be watched in order.

I've just watched Episodes I and II, The Clone Wars series 1-5, The Lost Missions and Episode III. Rebels is next, followed by the next four films. It's taking time.

Problem with putting the prequels after Empire when you are introducing someone is that you spoil that Leia is Luke's sister.

Proper order for introducing someone to the series has to be 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 2 -> 3 -> 7

You're not spoiling the Leia reveal, you're just shifting it over a little bit. We find out pretty early in Jedi anyway, so giving the reveal to Sith seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Honestly, Machete Order fixes WAY more than it breaks. It helps make the prequels feel relevant.

Why are people showing the prequels to anyone?

Here's the order:

STAR WARS (cause that's what it's called)

TESB

ROTJ

TFA

The CW cartoon did a much better job than any of the prequels in capturing the characters and the fun that was missing in those films. And even then the OT told us everything we needed to hear anyway.

Star Wars and Sci-fi universes in general are better when there is a history to them that isn't explained in-depth. It makes the universe more immersive when someone says, "You fought with my father during the Clone Wars" and the characters know what they're talking about.

If someone says, "I fought in 'nam" no one asks for a lecture on Vietnam, or in the case of Star Wars as a viewer, we don't need a 3 movie long history lesson.

Also I'd be significantly more tolerant of the prequels if everything was practical effects like the original movies. I hate that CGI look so hard.

I'd not mind if the prequels never happened. Could still have The Clone Wars, it had better scripts and acting than the movies.

But what would the trilogy of trilogies look like?

Episode I - A New Hope

Episode II - The Empire Strikes Back

Episode III - Return of the Jedi

Episode IV - Empire's End

(leading up to and including the Battle of Jakku with the big finish being the Galactic Concordance)

Episode V - A New Threat

(First Order up to mischief, corruption in the Senate and Ben Solo has issues)

Episode VI - ?

(Ben becomes Kylo Ren and kills Jedi, Luke goes hermit, Han goes off smuggling and Leia is left with the Resistance)

Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Episode VIII and IX

Edited by RoK 98

I'd not mind if the prequels never happened. Could still have The Clone Wars, it had better scripts and acting than the movies.

But what would the trilogy of trilogies look like?

Episode I - A New Hope

Episode II - The Empire Strikes Back

Episode III - Return of the Jedi

Episode IV - Empire's End

(leading up to and including the Battle of Jakku with the big finish being the Galactic Concordance)

Episode V - A New Threat

(First Order up to mischief, corruption in the Senate and Ben Solo has issues)

Episode VI - ?

(Ben becomes Kylo Ren and kills Jedi, Luke goes hermit, Han goes off smuggling and Leia is left with the Resistance)

Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Episode VIII and IX

Speculating happily away, and plundering the now Legends, Episode V in your list could borrow heavily from the whole Bothan power grab in the Thrawn trilogy, with a weakened Mon Mothma.

People who hate/nerd rage against the Prequels, yet love/nerdgasm over the Force Awakens baffle me. Both the Prequels and the Sequels (so far) are meh. Not much substance to the Prequels and a regurgitated plot and basic story line for the Force Awakens. Neither really captures the nostalgia and good feelings that we all experience when we look back at the Original Trilogy with our Rose colored glasses on. Do I love the Prequels. No. Do I hate them with a unjustified, self righteous passion. Also no. Same go for the Force Awakens. I think in both cases, we need to be happy we got more Star Wars and leave it at that.

People who hate/nerd rage against the Prequels, yet love/nerdgasm over the Force Awakens baffle me. Both the Prequels and the Sequels (so far) are meh. Not much substance to the Prequels and a regurgitated plot and basic story line for the Force Awakens. Neither really captures the nostalgia and good feelings that we all experience when we look back at the Original Trilogy with our Rose colored glasses on. Do I love the Prequels. No. Do I hate them with a unjustified, self righteous passion. Also no. Same go for the Force Awakens. I think in both cases, we need to be happy we got more Star Wars and leave it at that.

Yep

That's why I'm suggesting three more movies set between Episodes VI and VII

Rose colored glasses? Yeah, uh, I'm keenly aware of the flaws of the OT, ROTJ in particular. I've dissected those films so much...well, let's just say I'm very familiar with them.

That being said every one of the prequels is flawed in execution from beginning to end, there was no need for them. The sequels at least continue the story, and have a lot of the fun of the OT, at least so far. The OT had a lot of love put in them, a lot of heart, like many 'older' movies, which seems to be lacking since the time of Spielberg and Lucas' haydays.