Sign in to follow this  
IG88E

TFA - No extended version on DVD??

The 4th Reich Hitler Youth in Star Wars was COMPNOR SAGyouths. Or as I like to call them "Palpatine Youth." Ysanne Isard makes me think of one ofthe firstthat would have been in this number...and Hux would be one of the last of them.

Also one thing about Hux is that he does mention that the indoctrinated clones and also other non-clone troops that the First Order uses, are all raisedwith programming and indoctinration and obedience training, not to mention something along the lines of flash learning, like the Clones leanred. So maybe he was also one that was trained in an accelerated way.

Edited by knavelead

I haven't watched my DVD since I got it.  I know it's got deleted scenes.  Can you watch the deleted scenes added into the movie, though?  Man, if not, it will make me want to watch a pirated version just to have the scenes added in.  I hate having to watch a deleted scene just kind of detached from it all.

Scenes are deleted for a reason; they're no longer part of the film (and oftentimes aren't finished). Reinserting them into the movie at the correct chronological marker does not suddenly make them canonical or even complete.

I rarely even bother with watching deleted scenes anymore.  If the movie was any good to begin with, they're probably just garbage.  As much as I like the LotR movies, I do find the existence of such far superior extended cuts a slight against them.  They cut out some choice meat but left a ridiculous amount of fat in the theatrical versions.  I'd wager a good editor could probably cut the extended editions down to something closer to the theatrical cut without losing too much in the process.

Depends. Sometimes films have been edited against the director's will. And are still good. While the extended version is better. One example for this could be "Blade Runner".

All I needed with TFA was the 4th best Star Wars movie, it met that expectation in spades. It was a fun ride. Better than the prequels.

It would have been my third favourite if they didn't have another Death Star. It was completely unnecessary. The whole film was fine, even the destruction of Starkiller base. But the whole sucking a star into a planet to shoot through hyperspace and manage to divide itself to hit several planets at the same time was just dumb.

Could of had the same movie with the same plot and same script. Just replace the planet sized hyperspace solar gun with First Order agents in the Hosnian System bomb the Senate buildings and assassinate the politians in a coordinated attack. About five minutes of dramatic music and cut scenes.

But what do I know about creating space fantasy

In the novelisation, the base doesn't actually suck in the star (that would be silly) but utilises some kind of dark energy/dark matter technology, in which the star acts as a catalyst. It's hand-waving to patch over one of the more egregious errors in JJs 'style over substance' school of film making, but I guess it's also canon?

Although it doesn't explain how the Starkiller Base then turns into a new star when it is destroyed (or why that new star is so tiny). Maybe all that energy that takes the form of a star, replacing Starkiller Base when it's destroyed, maybe that just dissipates with time, and the dark matter eventually burns off the original star and everything goes back to normal. That's what I'm going to tell myself, anyway.

Style over substance?

If there WAS style in it. Not everything "canon" is good, not everything "non-canon" is bad.

The FO to me is just a bunch of die-hard-wannabes, teens and twens brainwashed trying sooo hard being badass that it get's silly.

They fit well into a "New Hope wannabe" film by "Lucas wannabe" director.

Edited by Warpman

If we are going to get a directors cut, I want the ALL of the cut scenes.

There are about 40 Minutes of cut content...

Some of the deleted scenes shown on the blu-ray were rightly cut. The snowspeeders? Added nothing really. The message that Poe was lost on Jakku and his X-Wing destroyed? It would have removed the impact from the scene where Leia first appears.

In the deleted scene she is just there, in command. In the theatrical cut, we have a big fight, stuff hanging in the balance, Poe flying like a ballet dancer on speed and when the dust settles we see who orchestrated the rescue. The general herself. High on action, we go straight into the meeting of two estranged partners, with the cocky Han Solo reduced to guilt and discomfort before the woman he loves and left.

Has there ever been an 'extended' release of any Star Wars movie? Nope.

And there are deleted scenes on the extra's disc in the Blu-Ray version (and included with the digital versions - ie: amazon digital)

Peter Jackson spoiled us all in regards to extras.

Wait... what!?!

If we are going to get a directors cut, I want the ALL of the cut scenes.

There are about 40 Minutes of cut content...

Some of the deleted scenes shown on the blu-ray were rightly cut. The snowspeeders? Added nothing really. The message that Poe was lost on Jakku and his X-Wing destroyed? It would have removed the impact from the scene where Leia first appears.

In the deleted scene she is just there, in command. In the theatrical cut, we have a big fight, stuff hanging in the balance, Poe flying like a ballet dancer on speed and when the dust settles we see who orchestrated the rescue. The general herself. High on action, we go straight into the meeting of two estranged partners, with the cocky Han Solo reduced to guilt and discomfort before the woman he loves and left.

But now we've experienced the impact, why not have the extras. It's not like it's spoiling anything now.

But now we've experienced the impact, why not have the extras. It's not like it's spoiling anything now.

Well, as an extra on a separate disc, sure. But not inline like Jackson did with the extended editions, then you'll be rewriting the movie and still taking away the impact for future generations.

All I needed with TFA was the 4th best Star Wars movie, it met that expectation in spades. It was a fun ride. Better than the prequels.

It would have been my third favourite if they didn't have another Death Star. It was completely unnecessary. The whole film was fine, even the destruction of Starkiller base. But the whole sucking a star into a planet to shoot through hyperspace and manage to divide itself to hit several planets at the same time was just dumb.

Could of had the same movie with the same plot and same script. Just replace the planet sized hyperspace solar gun with First Order agents in the Hosnian System bomb the Senate buildings and assassinate the politians in a coordinated attack. About five minutes of dramatic music and cut scenes.

But what do I know about creating space fantasy

In the novelisation, the base doesn't actually suck in the star (that would be silly) but utilises some kind of dark energy/dark matter technology, in which the star acts as a catalyst. It's hand-waving to patch over one of the more egregious errors in JJs 'style over substance' school of film making, but I guess it's also canon?

Although it doesn't explain how the Starkiller Base then turns into a new star when it is destroyed (or why that new star is so tiny). Maybe all that energy that takes the form of a star, replacing Starkiller Base when it's destroyed, maybe that just dissipates with time, and the dark matter eventually burns off the original star and everything goes back to normal. That's what I'm going to tell myself, anyway.

Because the planet core is basically exposed. It would take thousands of years to dim down. Planetary cores are basically fission-powered rock stars, Wow, that is quite a thing to write...

Exactly

My biggest laugh was General Hux when he attempted a Hitler speech but sounded more like a cartoon megalomaniac. OK, what was ACTUALLY funny was him pronouncing "R" as "W" which reminded me too much of Life of Brian

"Welease Wodewick"

The casting of Hux was my pretty much my only issue with the movie. No gravitas at all. They needed an older and more imposing figure, similar to Cushing's GM Tarkin.  Casting director's fault on that one. Everything else was fine in a space-opra-ey way.

Hux was one of my favourite parts/characters. I liked that he was young, fresh faced, fanatical.

You know, Hitler was a cartoon megalomaniac. The tragedy was that the people bought his schtick and his insane ideas became the law of the land.

Makes you wonder what could happen if another cartoon character with stupid hair gets elected as the leader of a nation....

No problem, there won't be anymore elections for long, no matter who got elected, right now it is a choice between Barron Harkenon and Ceresi Lanister.

I wouldn't count the High Sparrow out just yet...

Yep

Han shot Greedo before he got a chance to shoot

and

Anyone introducing someone (such as their children) to Star Wars should always begin with the Original Trilogy. At least ANH and ESB before ever watching the prequels.

My thoughts are:

ANH

ESB

TPM

AotC

RotS

RotJ

TFA

After that the Episodes, and series, can be watched in order.

I've just watched Episodes I and II, The Clone Wars series 1-5, The Lost Missions and Episode III. Rebels is next, followed by the next four films. It's taking time.

Yep

and

Anyone introducing someone (such as their children) to Star Wars should always begin with the Original Trilogy. At least ANH and ESB before ever watching the prequels.

My thoughts are:

ANH

ESB

TPM

AotC

RotS

RotJ

TFA

I've just watched Episodes I and II, The Clone Wars series 1-5, The Lost Missions and Episode III. Rebels is next, followed by the next four films. It's taking time.

Problem with putting the prequels after Empire when you are introducing someone is that you spoil that Leia is Luke's sister.

Proper order for introducing someone to the series has to be 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 2 -> 3 -> 7

Yep

and

My thoughts are:

ANH

ESB

TPM

AotC

RotS

RotJ

TFA

Problem with putting the prequels after Empire when you are introducing someone is that you spoil that Leia is Luke's sister.

Proper order for introducing someone to the series has to be 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 2 -> 3 -> 7

Forgot about Leia. Yep, best to watch RotJ before RotS.

To be honest the whole sibling thing isn't too exciting since it was so tacked on. I don't think episode 6 does a much better job of delivering that than episode 3. I also wouldn't exclude TPM. It doesn't add much, but it is a better movie than 2.

That being said I am in the camp of people who say that if you want Star Wars, watch the OT. Then if there is interest go for the PT or TFA, they aren't required for the experience but can be nice addons.