Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzywookie

Proxy "ing" cards, personal dilemma

I feel the same way MOST of the time.

I don't mind the occasional playtest when someone is considering a purchase, or trying out a card that isn't released yet to gaige it's effectiveness... but ASK me first.   And please don't ever do it in a tournament. 

But proxying all the time?  no thank you.  I've seen people do it really poorly too, like using a Luke Skywalker insert in place of a Darth Vader ship, but no TIE Advanced model present. (using an old Micro Machine TIE Fighter instead).   Wrong on so many levels. 

Not everyone has the same resources I do to buy multiple of nearly every expansion when it comes out in order to have every card needed to play every list I might ever want to play in the future. They shouldn't have to buy two new ships because they wanted to try out Mind Link this weekend.

If it bothers you so much, you can loan out cards, it's what I do.

Honestly, in casual games I often don't even ask whether friends have the cards. For most people I know it's not an issue, and a lot of us just bring squad-builder lists anyway. It saves some time and effort putting a list together and breaking it down if you don't have to dig all the stuff out of your binder.

I would never proxy a model - with the exception of maybe using a T-65 to represent a T-70 or vis versa.

As for cards I don't have a problem with upgrade proxies. I regularly proxy an R5-P9 and I simply can't afford to buy a transport for 1 card. I proxy others on occasion, but tend to stick to what I have.

Having said all that, I have a very good gaming group - they either don't mind proxies, or there will be someone willing to lend me the card. Certainly at a tournament there will be someone to lend me the card, I wouldn't proxy for one of those.

Honestly, in casual games I often don't even ask whether friends have the cards. For most people I know it's not an issue, and a lot of us just bring squad-builder lists anyway. It saves some time and effort putting a list together and breaking it down if you don't have to dig all the stuff out of your binder.

^this^

In my usual (if not only) gaming-group we have agreed to use the squad-builder to play whatever you want.

No proxying miniatures.

Maybe use the wrong base-cardboard to test a pilot you don't have.

I have no problem proxying any cards or ships for any length of time.  It's about having fun, not being snippy about how people spend their money.  

Or....if it's a real issue and makes your enjoyment difficult, then don't play someone with a proxied anything.  It's your prerogative. 

Personally I don't mind proxie cards in the least as long as they are clear enough to read (ideally in a card protector). Most of my friends have a similar outlook.

I do wonder how much the range of views on proxies comes from the broad base of gaming backgrounds which xwign attracts. Wargamers, board gamers, collectible card gamers, and even non gamers all seem to get drawn together in XWing.

Generally I've noticed that a lot of wargamers are more relaxed about card proxies than a lot of board gamers and card gamers, perhaps because they are used to games which don't have card elements, or using home made roster sheets.

On the other hand I've known some card gamers who are deadly serious about having the right cards, but would happily play without miniatures on bases if their opponents didn't request it.

Or perhaps that's all just me over thinking and turning my early limited experiences into confirmation bias.

I have every upgrade so only time i proxy is if i need 4 acuracy correctors and only have 3 and i just put it it between the 2 pilots and if the opponent needs to proxy i will just get the card out to borrow or for reference.

I do not have problems with proxying cards, as already said not everyone wants to buy multiples of one ship or ships his faction can't use or one of the big ship with cards but then i only play casual with friends so this is not an issue for us.

I proxy ever card I don't own. I buy a few expansions each year, and only use stuff I own in tournaments obviously. I don't proxy ships because I haven't figured out an easy way to proxy the dial. I don't understand who would have a problem with my actions; just because you can afford 4 of everything doesn't mean I can't fly 4 ships with Predator or Crack Shot casually.

Proxying for casual play is never a problem. Just never in a tournament or when prizes are at stake.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you, I'm not actually sure what I think at the moment, but why not in tournament play or when there are prizes at stake? What's the difference?

I totally understand why FFG don't want people proxying in official events, but what does it matter otherwise? If the objective is a fun day playing X-Wing why would it matter if your opponent didn't have all the cards he or she needed for their list? Why would it lessen either of our enjoyment?

For the record I'd much rather people asked to borrow whatever they didn't have and I'm more than happy to lend stuff out within reason, but if that wasn't possible then I think I'd much rather everyone had a fun day playing X-Wing than some people being excluded or not being able to use the list they wanted due to to one reason or another.

I would never call a TO for proxying, I understand why this rule is in place (FFG is not charity), but I don't get why would I want to enforce it. If I go to a tournament I want to actually play some games and I don't see how my opponent not having few cards would make my experience any worse.

(unless someone wants to proxy 3 U-boots, in this case no mercy :P )

I think there's a difference between playtesting a list that you are considering buying in the future.... and repeatedly proxying models because you can't be bothered to actually go out and buy them.

I hate the ghost. I don't want it. Or it's model. But one of my competitive builds uses it. When I eventually do a tournament I'll borrow one but ****. I have not seen a ship I am so utterly disinterested in getting.

I'm fine with people proxying from time to time.

I actually prefer when they ask to borrow a car, that way neither of us forgets its in play.

What I do hate is when someone wants to proxy a 0 point upgrade (Integrated Astro, Longrange scopes, guidance chips, TIE/D title, etc).

$40 Papatine card on eBay makes me not care if people proxy.

I never understand the buying a card by itself idea, especially when it is more than a dollar. Like people were trying to get 3P0 for 20 bucks before the last few tournaments (store championships came out with an alt art card).

You might as well save up and buy the ship itself, at least that way you get a model, and a bunch of other cards too. Palpatine, the X1 titles, and some other stuff all make the Raider worthwhile if you really want those cards, along with the 2 models in it, way more worth than a 40dollar card by itself....pay 3 times that amount and you get a whole LOT more!

I aint paying 70 quid for the raider just to get palpatine.

I ain't paying 20-30 quid just for the palpatine card either.

For tournaments I borrow him off a mate, for casual I proxy.

So yeah, not bothered by proxying.