Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

Skirmish Focused Discussion of Lando & Spoiled Command Cards

I love the Black Market Prices if you're taking high-costed command cards that become useless once a particular model has died. Using it with a Hired Gun or Alliance Smuggler is awesome.

Lando is really cool.  I'll be using him.  He's pretty much on par with Bossk, for his cost.  Gambit is just awesome.  Get in close and roll a Red/Green, or if you're defending with 1 health left and you would die from a high damage attack, you can reroll using a White to hope for a Dodge.  And if you like your dice pool, well we already know (from Luke) that being able to reroll dice is quite valuable...and this is the first time you can do it with defense dice (without using a Command Card).

His surge options are very strong.  Hide&Stun is really sweet, especially when you have access to a Yellow die all the time.  A native +2 Accuracy means that his minimum range is 3 (w his Green) and can be much higher if he uses Gambit to roll a blue.  

Heroic Effort looks really good, but I'm not sure how effective a Rebel squad with only Uniques would work.

10 Luke

8 Leia

6 Lando

3 Gideon

3 R2

2 C3P0

...that's 32pts, and so you've got room for...Verena Talos?  

I like it that we've got something to specifically encourage unique-only squads, and I think that this card will get better over time.

I'm thinking add either Jyn and Mak for 8 points, or Davith and Rebel High Command. I do love Jyn!

Oh yeah, Davith!  Yes, he's definitely going into the squad.  You could drop R2 (from the list I posted) to fit Jyn in there.

How do you put the pictures in the post like that? Sorry for the noob question but I still havent found out how to put pics in directly like that.

The reason I ask is because I was going to link in the "tough luck" command card that's also in lando's pack that was spoiled in the announcement article. Definitely should be talked about along with the new ones. Since I'd actually forgotten they'd spoiled it and I was like, they forgot to tell us what his other command card is!

So if you want to add it to the original post that's awesome. But I'd love to know how to post pics like you did.

Lando Calrissian

Put me down a Lando skeptic: I'm just not seeing how Lando is going to be competitive when he only rolls 2 attack die.  Sure you can re-roll your worst result and change the color of one of them but the fact is that's worth only about 1 damage: sometimes it will be great but sometimes you might just roll the same result (or potentially worse).  And sure, re-rolling your defense die and potentially changing it to an X-man will be great but that's just sometimes. I think this is worth less than just having 1 natural defense.

Let's compare Lando to the HK Assassin Droids that are doing well for Scum right now, since they're actually kind of similar.

On attack, Lando can swap the color while the HK's get 3 die instead of 2. Advantage: HK.

On defense, the HK force opposing re-rolls which I would argue is slightly better than re-rolling your own die, but Lando can change to a white die if appropriate. Slight advantage: Lando

Surges: No debate. Advantage: Lando.

Health per point: HK: 1.25, Lando 1.3. Slight Advantage Lando

Overall Point cost: for 8 points you get 2 HKs, for 6 points you get 1 unique Lando: Huge Advantage to the HKs

So I conclude that Lando, in most cases is going to be worse than HKs.  Perhaps that doesn't me he's out of Tier 1 play ability but I don't think he's an auto include either.

PS: For laughs, compared to Lando, Dengar is worse or equivalent in almost every way. Poor Dengar.

Edited by nickv2002

So I conclude that Lando, in most cases is going to be worse than HKs.  Perhaps that doesn't me he's out of Tier 1 play ability but I don't think he's an auto include either.

I agree that he isn't an auto include. Heck, I think if any figure is an auto include, the game would need work. Such as the earlier problems with RGs and Rebel Sabs...

I think what makes Lando really good is including him with Luke and the Hide/Stun surge. Those two together give him a serious edge over the HKs, and the Hidden makes him significantly more survivable. Also, including him in the Rebels, which have the easier access to Focusing models, makes him better when running with a Rebel list. He isn't someone who we will be seeing allied into Scum that much, though ironically I think he'd be a perfect two faction model from a background standpoint.

How do you put the pictures in the post like that? Sorry for the noob question but I still havent found out how to put pics in directly like that.

The reason I ask is because I was going to link in the "tough luck" command card that's also in lando's pack that was spoiled in the announcement article. Definitely should be talked about along with the new ones. Since I'd actually forgotten they'd spoiled it and I was like, they forgot to tell us what his other command card is!

So if you want to add it to the original post that's awesome. But I'd love to know how to post pics like you did.

Thanks for the reminder, I added the card to the top.

To do it yourself you copy the URL, use the button shaped like Polaroid with a tree, and past in the URL.

Edited by nickv2002

Analysis of Other Cards:

Cheat to Win: For 1 point it gets you exactly what you need (probably to finish off an opposing figure). This is probably the best card for a unique figure that doesn't grant an extra attack or direct damage. You'll aways run this with Lando. 1 Thumb Up.

Black Market Prices: Planning for smugglers with a point bonus.  I think this is pretty good but not as good as Planning because you can't gain more cards (you end up with the same number), because it's 1 point (while Planning is 0), and because you can only use it on Smugglers (Planning can be used on other figures in a pinch).  Discarding a 2 or 3 point card for VP is nice later in the game once you have some dead cards, but I like Planning as card to play early in order to draw into your best cards.  You're also disincentivized to discard your weaker 0-point cards with Black Market Prices though that's often the correct decision. 1 Thumb Up.

Stall for Time: I like that this doesn't require an action, you just get to play it at the start of a round.  It costs zero points and hits something in their hand randomly, potentially hitting something much better.  I like this a lot with Agent Blaise because he can peek at cards in your opponents hand potentially finding something good that you don't have an equivalent card to trade with at the time (and he's a match for the types required).  Two Rules notes: 1) You can play this before the game actually starts. 2) More than ever, with this card, it important to resolve effects in Initiative order (in other words the player who just got initiative plays all their beginning of round cards first, the the other player). 1 Thumb Up.

Tough Luck: Re-rolls are a big part of the game right now between Luke, HKs, Lando, Cower, Targeting Computer, and a few other Command Cards.  This works on both attack and defense. So I think this will have targets almost all the time.  I basically want to use it when my opponent re-rolls a white defense (from Cower or HKs) into an X-Man to take that away, but it's pretty useful for preventing Lando or HKs from keeping a good re-roll result in a pinch. 2 Thumbs up.

Heroic Effort: At zero points it's pretty obvious to include it when you have uniques. I think it's a nice small bonus to help Rebel Hero lists that are flavorfully fun.  There's not direct card advantage but you should get card quality advantage.  Note that you might not want to use Leia's surge or Devotion to reshuffle your command deck if you ditched something you can't use anymore on the bottom.  Some good ideas for starting builds above and I agree with ChrisLS that it will get better over time too.  I don't think it's a strong enough bonus that you'll want to ditch Troopers/Sabs in most lists yet though unless you're building for fun or flavor.  I look forward to more 0-Point Skirmish Upgrades for flavor boosting in the future.

Rules question: If you put a Targeting Computer (a non-unique attachment) on R2 (not that you would), could you still run this card?  I think no... but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by nickv2002

I agree that he isn't an auto include. Heck, I think if any figure is an auto include, the game would need work. Such as the earlier problems with RGs and Rebel Sabs...

I think what makes Lando really good is including him with Luke and the Hide/Stun surge. Those two together give him a serious edge over the HKs, and the Hidden makes him significantly more survivable. Also, including him in the Rebels, which have the easier access to Focusing models, makes him better when running with a Rebel list. He isn't someone who we will be seeing allied into Scum that much, though ironically I think he'd be a perfect two faction model from a background standpoint.

Gideon is the current Auto-Include for >90% Rebel and Merc lists...

I know you know this Chris, but for others: you can't use Luke to re-roll a die you change with Lando. (It's already considered re-rolled and you can only re-roll once.)

The success of Lando depends on 2 things:

1. How easy is it to get and keep the Hide chain while still hitting your second surge for Damage (because he's way better when getting both his surges).
  2. How easy it is to keep him alive between Hide and his Defensive re-rolls.  Because normally: a straight 8 Health with 1 Black defense can be gone without much trouble from a HK or eStormtrooper activation. 

If those are in your favor then he'll be good, if not I think he'll be a figure that either doesn't pull his weight or gets killed early.

Rules Question: If a HK attacks Lando, he rolls 3 defense on Black, and the HK's player has him re-roll, can Lando's controller switch the die to White before re-rolling?

Edited by nickv2002

I know you know this Chris, but for others: you can't use Luke to re-roll a die you change with Lando. (It's already considered re-rolled and you can only re-roll once.)

But Luke would allow Lando to re-roll one of his other die also.

And we can't forget that a focused Lando could swap out a green or yellow die for a red/blue as well. Since he's rebel, he may be a good target to focus first round and get that "hidden" train started. And once the hidden train starts, I'd think it won't stop since it gives an auto surge for the next attack and he only has two surge abilities. Lando isn't going to need his yellow dice very much at that point.

Rules Question: If a HK attacks Lando, he rolls 3 defense on Black, and the HK's player has him re-roll, can Lando's controller switch the die to White before re-rolling?

All re-rolls happen during step three of attacking. The effects of the attacker are chosen first and then the defender. If the attacker decides not to use his forced re-roll he can't change his mind if Lando's controller then decides not to re-roll as well.

Now, what happens when an HK actually makes Lando re-roll the defense die?

Versatile Weaponry: While attacking, you may force the defender to reroll 1 defense die.

Then,

Gambit: Before you reroll a die, you may replace it with another die of the same type. After rolling, the new die is considered rerolled.

So, I'd say that means if someone forces Lando to reroll any die, Lando can then choose to make it a different die before rolling it. And if they don't force him to reroll, he still has the option of rerolling/or substituting the die for another of the same type.

Lando is amazing. His surges are amazing and with green and yellow he has a chance of making it count. The best thing is if you want to just roll yellow/green you just "replace" your yellow with another yellow dice, roll it, and then choose the better result. You can always make sure your refills are better this way!

If you take cheat to win and have it in your hand, you can run Lando out and if he's going to die from an amazing enemy roll, you can roll a white instead of a black and just make it a Dodge, no chance involved, he will live.

Then you can focus him, change your dice to a red, and be rolling R/G/Y for attack, which is honestly one of the most well rounded attack pools I can think of. I will run this devil with Leia but He's a great selfish figure to put in a squad.

if you want to just roll yellow/green you just "replace" your yellow with another yellow dice, roll it, and then choose the better result.

What makes you say this? I can't see it anywhere on the cards.

You don't get to roll another dice and pick which result you want to keep. If you reroll you either reroll the original dice or replace it with a different one and roll it and it can't be rerolled again.

Now, if lando is within three spaces of Luke he could choose to reroll both dice and when you make that choice you can choose to sub out both! Gambit says before you reroll a die you can swap it. That means any source of rerolling. So if he's focused and shooting next to Luke you could throw a green red red, or any three dice as long as one of them is still a green or yellow (since you can only reroll/sub out two dice). But being next to Luke can really allow lando to power up his attack especially when focused.

When I first saw (in the Bespin announcement article) that there was a 0 cost upgrade that boosted unique-only squads, I thought that this would be a big boost to characters like Han and Chewie. Now that I see Heroic Effort, I think that it's a bit underwhelming.

I hope that other similar upgrades are coming to give a decent incentive for hero builds.