Sign in to follow this  
TheMoonLord

How would 4 generic phantoms fare?

I haven't tried it with 4 generics, but I don't think they'd be bad.  4 red dice is nothing to laugh at.  Also, if spread out, one could turtle with the ships being attacked and let loose with flanking ships.  The big weakness would be in the endgame against aces (but that can be said for most lists).

It would be a very different sort of flying than Whisper.  Much more cautious and patient, requiring one to choose which turns to decloak and which turns to turtle.  It would take a bit of practice, but I think it could be good.

That said, because the standard Whisper strategy can't be used, many will just complain and say it sucks, rather than try to learn a different way to use the ship.

I've flown this a few times. It's okay. 5x Autothruster Alpha Squadron Interceptor is a better version of it.

The problem with it is how frail it is, and how reliant it is on good attack rolls for the initial joust. If you roll 2 average rolls and 2 below average ones your game is over, you NEED to wipe something quickly before you start losing ships. So it's very dice dependant.

You're flying 4 jousters, so you're vulnerable to Acewings arc dodging you.

You'd get PS 3 to fire simultaneously with Jumpmasters, but they'd also get to fire. Very real chance you could lose 2 Phantoms immediately while your opponent only loses one Jumpmaster if you're lucky. You do have decloak to force range 1 though, so it needs to be tested. Haven't flown it in a few waves.

Very swingy. With no modifiers other than focus you'll be relying a LOT on dice luck. So when the dice go your way you'll do well but when they turn against you you'll crash hard.

I played around with a 3 Sigma build for a while, trading the 4th phantom for several useful upgrades on the other 3 and that was my experience. Dominated the games that dice favored me, dying an ignominious death on the games when they didn't.

It's tough.  You have the survivability of a z-95, plus PS3 isn't going to beat scouts.  At least with the TLT meta, you had init on the y-wings.

Now, whisper with a pair of PS5s is quite workable, if hard to fly.

You have the survivability of a Z-95 when you're not cloaked.  In order to make this list work, IMO, you need to separate your ships so that the enemy can only focus fire on one at a time.  The targeted ships stays cloaked and runs for cover, while the other ships flank.

With turrets in play, it gets much tougher, if not impossible to avoid being focus fired on.  At that point it does become a race to see who can whittle the other down first.

U-boats are not a great match-up, but I don't think that they're an automatic loss.  There's a decent chance that you'll only lose one ship on the first exchange, but that ship will still be able to fire, given equal PS.  That means you'll be able to throw 16 red dice back at them, resulting in a good chance to trade 1 Phantom for 1 U-boat.  It's an uphill battle, but you could give them a run for their money.

Sigmas really need IA and Stygium at the bare minimum. They make amazing blockers with Intel Agent, and the Stygium allows them to really stay alive. I like them with Jammer and Carnor Jax, but I could see running two of them at 30 points apiece with Stygium, IA, FCS with a 40ish point Defender after the release of Imp Vets. You get two of the best blockers in the game, coupled with the ability to really lay down some firepower when uncloaked.

Unfortunately, you are pretty much conceding to any sort of Crackshot swarm. 60 points invested in 8 low PS hp with very situational defense will get shredded by Crackshot. 

I much preferred 2 generic phantom and 2 ptl royal guard - because that let you manage the approach with cloaked phantoms. The royal's can approach with turtle, or cause the opponent to expose a flank to the phantoms.

For quite some time, I ran a sigma, Soontir and a Patrol Leader with Vader crew, and learned quite a bit about flying naked generic phantoms. Generics, especially without ACD -  need to cloak early, and then approach, using the decloak timing to pounce on the attack, generally from a safe place - it's really hard to do with 4, without losing one on the approach - but the 4 phantom list does do very well against p.s. 2 lists, being able to destroy something first.

Faced Whisper, Echo and 3 Shadow Squadrons in an Epic game.

The Shadows went down fairly quickly but they took down half my list on the way out. If not for my A Wings I would have lost the match.

A Phantom without ACD is going to be super fragile and die quickly. Theres a reason why the only Phantom seeing tonnes of top tier play is Whisper, because it shoots first before almost everything and always has 4 Agi to protect itself. Without the instant recloak it becomes almost worse than a T-65 and can possibly be 1-shotted if not taken out quickly in the first exchange from focus fire.

Without the instant recloak it becomes almost worse than a T-65 and can possibly be 1-shotted if not taken out quickly in the first exchange from focus fire.

Yes and no, you can fly it mostly cloaked, only de cloaking when safe. It becomes a much more patient / stalking ship. Even doing decloak, move, recloak. Occasionally. It doesn't need to be run like a hyper powered z95, though you can run it that way. When they stay mostly cloaked, they can focus, and they bait ships, or, get ignored, because why shoot at the ship that won't fire back. Once it gets behind and is safe from fire, it can decloak and damage. They don't like turrets though, but then the approach changes.