Sign in to follow this  
Myrubberduckies

Pairing up cybernetic eyes for double bonus

One of my players is inquiring taking two Q-22 Retinal Tracker cybernetic eyes so that he can generate two automatic advantages on every attack. He wants to buy this through character creation funds.

Is this legal? It seems very overpowered to me but in his defense, he argues that he could just combine this with a Superior weapon or a bantha eye laser sight for the same effect.

What do you think?

Doubling up on the same cybernetic equipment doesn't allow bonuses to stack.  Having two +1 Brawn cyber arms doesn't net you a +2 Brawn. 

In your example, your player could just combine this with a Superior weapon or a bantha eye laser sight for the same effect, but that doesn't mean that it changes the rules.  If her were allowed to double the bonus, and then take Superior weapon or a bantha eye laser sight, it would blow things even further out of proportion.  Two cyber eyes would work with every weapon he picked up, where the superior weapon and bantha sight would need to be installed on every weapon to get that bonus. 

In the end, it is up to you, you, is it game-breaking? probably not.  It is OP though, and I could see it being abused fairly easily, especially with a set of Crit 2 or 3 weapons.

--trial

Edited by trialaccess

Is this legal? It seems very overpowered to me but in his defense, he argues that he could just combine this with a Superior weapon or a bantha eye laser sight for the same effect.

By his logic, with 2 eyes he could also get a Superior weapon and get 3 advantages.

The tolerance in this game for stacking benefits is limited (this is why, for example, cover bonuses don't stack).  D20 effectively has a 20-point range.  This game maybe has a 5 point range, so each point is much more meaningful.  It's very easy to abuse, so I'd err on the side of caution.

To expound, it technically says it is "microsensors implanted directly behind the user's retinas".  So it's one cyber tech item that works with existing eyes/retinas.  So It's only one item, and it works with retinas so it's not even cybernetic eyes.

Edited by 2P51

You might also want to read Sam's comments in the 6 Limbed Droid thread about the dev's views on stacking cybernetics... cuz it sounds like your head is in the right place, and that your player is going to argue...

By his logic, with 2 eyes he could also get a Superior weapon and get 3 advantages.

The tolerance in this game for stacking benefits is limited (this is why, for example, cover bonuses don't stack).  D20 effectively has a 20-point range.  This game maybe has a 5 point range, so each point is much more meaningful.  It's very easy to abuse, so I'd err on the side of caution.

5 point range? I just rolled yesterday 14 advantages, but not a single success. Talk about range of randomness. ;-)

Anyway, dev statements, rules for cyberlimb, etc suggest that you do not get the bonus twice if you replace more limbs, they are basically just generous for allowing single replacements / mods to give already the bonus. So he needs to have this superior weapon with bantha eye laser sight and his eyes to gain those 3 auto-advantages. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

Some of us have to ask our dads to explain images and dialogue-less videos to us... and this thread has led to yet another father-daughter bonding "Haley, what the hell are you reading?" moment.

He is getting used to you all, though. He also told me Maelora changed her avatar. :)

To be fair, I only changed it to the same character. She's Lily Chan from the Arkham Horror games... The new one is from Eldritch Horror, and (by way of description) she's in more of an action pose, about to karate-chop Cthulhu to death while saying 'talk to the hand' :)

Edited by Maelora

Not familiar... but it was a nice but very Dad conversation.

Dad: Is she Asian?

Me: I think she's British.

Dad: She can still be Asian.

Me: (internally: Duh.. I'm so stupid.) I really don't know. You've said not to discuss things like that.

Dad: Her dad might not have said the same to her.

Me: She's a grown woman.

Dad: So?

Me: Does she have to be Asian to use that avvie? Someone else uses a penguin. Do I look like my avvie?

Dad: Your avvie looks like a young Wonder Woman... so, yeah.

Dad called me a superhero... he got a hug for that.

Actually, I sort of assume everyone looks like their avatar here.  Always find myself fancying OggDude and keep wanting to ask Donovan what he calls his wolf.

I've seen a picture of Desslok, so I can confirm that he's only, alas, pretending to be a penguin. Bah.

Ethnically I'm Celt/Canadian/Eastern European rather than Asian :) 

One of my players is inquiring taking two Q-22 Retinal Tracker cybernetic eyes so that he can generate two automatic advantages on every attack. He wants to buy this through character creation funds.

What do you think?

Looking at the information, I would say there is a basis for "NO".  The first reason is that one set of the Q22 cost 2,500 credits.  In addition, they are placed behind both retinas, not just one.  Also, as mentioned before, the Superior quality and the Bantha Eye laser sight have to be added to the weapon.  That limits their usefulness.

Now, from a GM perspective, in addition to the above, I would "kindly" remind the player that while he could successfully argue why it may be legal, it would be best to not do so.  The Q-22 is a cybernetic that most shooters will want to have on hand.  If he was to go for the dual system and happens to brag about it in campaign, he is going to make themselves a target.  Whether or not they let the character live will be up to the die rolls and the GM.

Actually, I sort of assume everyone looks like their avatar here.  Always find myself fancying OggDude and keep wanting to ask Donovan what he calls his wolf.

I've seen a picture of Desslok, so I can confirm that he's only, alas, pretending to be a penguin. Bah.

I'm working on it.  The beard is salt-and-pepper instead of white, and not as long, but it's getting there.  Hoping to get the neighbor kids whispering that I'm secretly a wizard.

I'm working on it.  The beard is salt-and-pepper instead of white, and not as long, but it's getting there.  Hoping to get the neighbor kids whispering that I'm secretly a wizard.

... and if I can get the neighbor kids whispering that I'm secretly a giant eye made of flame and darkness, then my life will be complete.