Sign in to follow this  
DanDoulogos

How to whine (without looking like an immature fool).

Topic of Prices:

I'm having a hard time justifying the prices, I understand I don't have to buy these models but it stresses me out because my love for this game is becoming a problem on my wallet.

Topic of Faction Uniques:

I feel my faction is under-appreciated and I struggle with losing key upgrades to other factions because it makes me feel less uniqueness with my favorite faction however I know the mechanics of the game make that inevitable. I hope in future expansions this will open up some key upgrades to my faction. 

Topic of a new product that isn't the product you wanted:

I understand why they released this and though it isn't for me and I won't get much out of it, I'm nervous about the likelihood and proximity of the expansion I've been desperately hoping for. 

Topic of the Expanded Universe being removed from canon:

I sure am glad that X-wing is a place I can still hold to my much loved Expanded Universe, and I'm glad they are wrapping the Canon Universe into it as well.

Topic of your inability to handle Rey as a character:

*Silence* 

I hope these help. Legitimately the best way to show disappointment is to go walk around the block, come back, and voice your disappointment with an understanding of how business works, how fandom works, and an ability to grow with change instead of stubbornly fighting against it as if one fan can turn back time. 

Idk. Add cheese? 

Or just don't bother? 

Or if you must, qualify it that you'll live with what you're getting because you accept that you can't change product releases or contents and you'll be mature and deal with it, even though you really would have preferred something else entirely. 

Topic of Prices:

I'm having a hard time justifying the prices, I understand I don't have to buy these models but it stresses me out because my love for this game is becoming a problem on my wallet.

I feel my faction is under-appreciated and I struggle with losing key upgrades to other factions because it makes me feel less uniqueness with my favorite faction however I know the mechanics of the game make that inevitable. I hope in future expansions this will open up some key upgrades to my faction. 

I understand why they released this and though it isn't for me and I won't get much out of it, I'm nervous about the likelihood and proximity of the expansion I've been desperately hoping for. 

I sure am glad that X-wing is a place I can still hold to my much loved Expanded Universe, and I'm glad they are wrapping the Canon Universe into it as well.

*Silence* 

I hope these help. Legitimately the best way to show disappointment is to go walk around the block, come back, and voice your disappointment with an understanding of how business works, how fandom works, and an ability to grow with change instead of stubbornly fighting against it as if one fan can turn back time.

Concise and insightful. Covered all the main bit..talking points.

1) There's usually always something to like, so temper and balance your whining with a compliment:

"Not too excited about getting a second Falcon, but man I'm excited about the new black and orange X-Wing!"

2) If you have nothing but a complaint, don't use extreme language, multiple exclamation marks, and get it over with quickly: 

"Kinda bummed about this. Oh well."

Vs.

"Oh my gosh this sucks so bad!!!!!!  I was really hoping I'd get SOMETHING good, but instead we're getting this huge, steaming pile of horse crap!!!!!!  What the heck am I supposed to do with this big turd?!?!?!?!  Nobody wants to fly this and this turd will break everything blah blah blah blah!!!!!" 

Topic of Prices:

*Silence* 

If only there was a way to double (or triple) like a post!

I have spent the vast majority of my adulthood steadfastly refusing to act in a mature, responsible manner.

I have absolutely no idea how to help you achieve your aim.

So there.

Nah, nah, nah, nah nah.

Cheers

Baaa

I on the other hand have taken the optional path. Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

I have spent the vast majority of my adulthood steadfastly refusing to act in a mature, responsible manner.

So there.

Nah, nah, nah, nah nah.

Cheers

Baaa

I on the other hand have taken the optional path. Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

"you don't stop laughing because you get old, you get old because you stop laughing"

1) There's usually always something to like, so temper and balance your whining with a compliment:

"Not too excited about getting a second Falcon, but man I'm excited about the new black and orange X-Wing!"

2) If you have nothing but a complaint, don't use extreme language, multiple exclamation marks, and get it over with quickly: 

"Kinda bummed about this. Oh well."

Vs.

"Oh my gosh this sucks so bad!!!!!!  I was really hoping I'd get SOMETHING good, but instead we're getting this huge, steaming pile of horse crap!!!!!!  What the heck am I supposed to do with this big turd?!?!?!?!  Nobody wants to fly this and this turd will break everything blah blah blah blah!!!!!"

you taught him how to make a reasonable statement based on his feelings, NOT how to whine without looking immature (because it can't be done)

To which I'd only add: try to remember that it's Not About You.

People being disappointed or frustrated is fine. It's the people who take business/game balance decisions as a personal affront that do my head in.

So there.

Nah, nah, nah, nah nah.

Cheers

Baaa

But I would argue that both you and I are on the same path; for by refusing to act in a mature, responsible manner I have made a concious decision not to grow up.

Now that I read that back, it actually sounds like something a mature person would say.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

BACON.

Cheers

Baaa

So there.

Nah, nah, nah, nah nah.

Cheers

Baaa

But I would argue that both you and I are on the same path; for by refusing to act in a mature, responsible manner I have made a concious decision not to grow up.

Now that I read that back, it actually sounds like something a mature person would say.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

BACON.

Cheers

Baaa

Hey now! No need for the insult!

Oh, I should have put a question mark on that title. 

Your post is not edited, so you knew that the thread title was not communicating what you intended, but created the thread with that title anyway?

Oh, I should have put a question mark on that title. 

Your post is not edited, so you knew that the thread title was not communicating what you intended, but created the thread with that title anyway?

To spell it out, the title was intentionally misleading.  Presenting itself as though I was about to provide the community with my own set of instructions on how to constructively deal with situations that I find personally frustrating.  The true intention of the post however was revealed (or at least I intended the revelation to be self-evident) in the opening post - where I suggested that I wasn't about to give a person  (edit) personal thesis, but rather was asking, a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question, how can any adult whine about something without looking childish?  The answer from the silence, I assumed was: it cannot be done, as whining is an immature and unproductive way of dealing (or rather not dealing) with a situation.

It is typically called, satire.

I hope that helps.

Edited by DanDoulogos

Can we all agree that whining about whining is worse than the original whine?

Whiner A has hit the end of his/her wits and the salt flows visibly on all our screens [it shall pass]

Whiner B is just upset that Whiner A isn't more like him/her [it'll never pass; endless stream of new Whiners]

The whine police, they live inside of my head,

The whine police, they're in the post I just read,

The whine police, they're coming to arrest me, oh no....

You know that talk is cheap, and opinions aren't right
And when I fall asleep, I don't think I'll survive the night, the night

'Cause they're waiting for me, They're looking for me: Every. single. night
They're driving me insane,  These whines inside my brain

(etc)