Sign in to follow this  
holmesaggie

Nexu Pounce - counting spaces

I know a lot of questions have been asked on this topic, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my specific question.

When counting spaces for the Nexu's pounce, do I have to pick a space within three spaces that my Nexu could get to by moving three spaces, or can it be a space that would require more movement points to actually get to?

This comes up a lot when trying to pounce around corners. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

In this example, can I count three spaces diagonally from the top left corner of my Nexu to the blue mission token and place my Nexu there? If the Nexu were a small figure, it would be able to move there using three movement points, so is it legal for the Nexu to be placed there using pounce?

Let me know if my question is unclear and I can attempt to clarify further.

My understanding is that the space you place the Nexu in just needs to be 3 spaces away. It does not mention anything about being able to get there with 3 movement points.

Pounce is not movement, it is placement within 3 spaces.

You pick one space the nexu occupies, then one space within 3 spaces of that space using Counting Spaces (can't go through walls, doors or blocking spaces or blocking edges, but can go through impassible spaces and impassible edges), then place Nexu so that the space within 3 spaces is occupied by one of the Nexu's spaces. (See Large figure placement.)

Note that Nexu can't use diagonals while moving, but it can using Pounce. (Distance between two spaces is always determined in the same way, as if you were using a small figure, but ignoring impassible terrain and edges.)

So, Nexu can get 4 diagonal spaces away from the current position, and sometimes Nexu can get further than 6 movement points would allow it to move.

Edit: So, in your example picture, the Nexu can Pounce to the 4 top-left spaces or to the spaces right to the blue neutral mission token. (The position on the right would take 8 movement points to reach.)

post-226083-0-76632500-1462479714_thumb.jpg

Edited by a1bert

As a player who runs a 6 Nexu list, I can tell you that Pounce is key. If done correctly (diagonal corners), a pounce can move a Nexu to a space it would have needed 8 movement to get to normally. With Beast Tamer and the command card "Change of Plans" I was able to move a single Nexu more than 30 spaces to the perfect position in a single round (final activation of the round, knowing i would have initiative the next round, much the shock of my opponent).

Also note that the attack with Pounce does not have to be used, it is optional. I have used this in situations where I am already adjacent to an enemy figure at the start of the Nexu's activation to make a standard attack, and then Pounce around a corner to get away.

One thing you have to be careful of is the pounce-block, where you opponent will place figures in such a way to prevent you from pouncing.

Edited by Fizz

One thing you have to be careful of is the pounce-block, where you opponent will place figures in such a way to prevent you from pouncing.

I have not played with nor against Nexu that much.For the sake of clarity, what example(s) could you provide of a pounce-block? This game has a lot of situational occurrences that, when they do pop up, I would like to know I (and my opponent) am playing correctly and by the rules.

Don't leave any empty 2x2 spaces for the Nexu to land on. Pounce needs to land before performing the attack or before taking the next action.

It is possible with narrow corridors to both prevent Pounce and sometimes even prevent the Nexu from getting through the blockaded corridor with even its 12 movement points and Mobile. You need quite a few figures to do that though, in the campaign it probably means you have a 2-figure ally with you.