Sign in to follow this  
MuttonchopMac

The Ever Growing List of Force Powers

So I was looking at the list of Force Powers in FFG's Star Wars system. It's pretty exhaustive:

-Battle Meditation: Aid allies in battle

-Bind: Immobilize and damage

-Enhance: Improve physical skills and abilities, leap

-Farsight (upcoming): See things at great distance

-Foresee: Gain clues about the future, act faster in combat

-Heal / Harm: Fix / Inflict damage and strain, leech health

-Influence: Boost social checks, mind trick, mess with emotions

-Misdirect: Create illusions and conceal things, stealth

-Move: Telekinesis and all variants

-Protect / Unleash: Protect self and allies from harm, deal damage

-Seek: Find something you know of, increase perception / vigilance, gain offensive combat bonuses

-Sense: Listen in on others' thoughts, gain defensive combat bonuses

-Suppress: Inhibit others' use of the Force

-Warde's Foresight: Gain clues about someone's future decisions

Since both Keeping the Peace and the upcoming Seeker book both have a Force Power, and Chronicles of the Gatekeeper add one, I'm kind of wondering if that means this list is going to keep growing, and I wonder what they can add without getting redundant... I looked at Wookieepedia, and jotted down a few potentials:

-Plant Surge: Instantly ruled out as narrative flavor for Bind

-Inspire / Fear: Light Side gives allies bonuses on Discipline and Cool checks to resist Fear, or even make a new check to overcome Fear. Dark Side instills fear.

---> This could just be creating Fear via talents, and Battle Meditation would gives extra successes on Fear, so kinda unnecessary.

-Malacia (maybe Daze, or Daze / Plague): Make a living target sick, to the point of incapacitation (stagger, disorient, strain), or do some more nasty stuff with the Dark Side (a full-on ailment or poison)

-Phase: Right out on game breaking alone, much less being a horrible idea.

-Shatterpoint: Inflict damage to an object nearby by exerting pressure on the weak points.

I honestly don't know that they can do four more career books with new Force powers without getting redundant... Thoughts?

Well force speed could be one, it's kind of covered with leap but you might be able to get some interesting offensive/defensive buffs in their to mix with it.

I'm not really sure if what else though but it could be we see future expansions without more force powers and that would be fine as we'd still get new talents, specs, gear, etc

Perhaps something to cover working with machines more deeply than Mental Tools.

And a more permanent version of Imbue Item.

At a stretch a power that's the reverse of Suppress, that a character can use to strengthen other people's use of the Force, basically passing around force pips.

I'm guessing that some form of receptive/projective telepathy is going to appear in one of the future career books. Force speed is another good guess, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a dedicated Force push power either.

On the whole I suspect that each of the career books is going to come with one new Force power each. There might be other, "minor", powers like Warde's Foresight in other supplements but I think those will be much fewer.

Force Speed is already covered by Enhance, and Force Push is covered under Move, so we won't be seeing new powers for those two.  And as Gigerstreak said, "shatterpoint" as a combat ability is covered under Seek.

Nexus of Power didn't contain any new Force powers, and Warde's Foresight is incredibly adventure specific to Chronicles of the Gatekeeper.  My guess would be that we're going to see four new Force powers at most (one for each career book yet to be announced).

One that's based primarily upon interacting with plant life (healing/mending/growing it as well as manipulating for environmental effects and ensnarement) is certainly possible.  So could one that combines elements of Sense and Influence but only applies to machines.

I really hope they don't add more Force powers. Right now I think the current list of powers cover pretty much anything you can think of that's lore friendly. I'd rather see them include "How to's" and other advice and examples as sidebars to achieve effects we see in the films or read in the books and comix with the current set of powers, even simple ones that seem obvious. Something like how to do a Force Push with Move or what Power/Upgrades to use to achieve the Blaster bolt freeze we see in SWTFA, or how to manipulate plants and such (as mentioned by DM above) with the powers we have already. The last thing I want is the Spellification of the Force...

I'd also really like to see expanded rules/advice/examples on Power sharing, Force rituals (beyond the necessity of using a Manuever + Action seen in NOP), Dark Side Sorcery... those kind of things. 

Edited by FuriousGreg

I wouldn't mind if they did "tree extensions" like the specialization have with other, more specific advanced uses of the power (not just more range, etc).

One that's based primarily upon interacting with plant life (healing/mending/growing it as well as manipulating for environmental effects and ensnarement) is certainly possible.

It's weird: I never thought of the Force's influence on plant life very prominently before, but with a recent major canon plot point being the recovery of Force-related saplings seems to bring that to the forefront.

Edited by FlashbackJon

Keep in mind, they've already shown they may introduce completely new things, as with Suppress*.

And no, it doesn't work like Sever Force.

As I remember from KOTOR 2 (spoilers  :P ) the whole Sever Force thing was a fake ritual and was really the protagonist unconsciously cutting themselves off from the Force, or at least believing it to be so.

Edited by FuriousGreg

One that's based primarily upon interacting with plant life (healing/mending/growing it as well as manipulating for environmental effects and ensnarement) is certainly possible.  So could one that combines elements of Sense and Influence but only applies to machines.

I could see this as a utilization of Heal that speeds the growth of the plant  (Strength upgrade to grow and Magnitude to determine silhouette). Then using a Move with the top Control upgrade (the manipulating one) and Magnitude to ensnare. I'd also throw in a Zenology roll before hand to make sure the PC had enough knowledge of the plant life.

The tools are all here, it's just a matter of working it out.

Edited by FuriousGreg

Rituals is a good point, it sounds like something that will be fleshed out in chapter 3 of the Mystic book, guidelines on having them in your game. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Mass Combat structure, where at certain stages in the process a pivotal check is made, but in between the PC's can do things to influence the dice pool.

That would then lead into the possibility of a Force Power that also influences the check. It also opens up the possibility of Talents that change/effect the dice pool or skill used.

Then I could see GM guidelines on how to have the need for such rituals.

We don't have a Force Power for knowledge checks yet either, so there is a big gap there that could easily be filled in the Consular book, adding force dice to knowledge checks, gaining vital knowledge through the force, it could events as far as communication with force ghosts for specific knowledge as a Mastery

So for me so far I would predict:

Consular: Intuitive Knowledge (good book title!)

Mystic: Prepare the Ritual

Sentinal: ? But possibly Tech Manipulation, not a great fit, but between Misdirect and Suppress they have most of what they need

Warrior: Something to make killing people easier, but if any book didn't have a power then this is the one.

Force Speed is already covered by Enhance, and Force Push is covered under Move, so we won't be seeing new powers for those two.  And as Gigerstreak said, "shatterpoint" as a combat ability is covered under Seek.

Nexus of Power didn't contain any new Force powers, and Warde's Foresight is incredibly adventure specific to Chronicles of the Gatekeeper.  My guess would be that we're going to see four new Force powers at most (one for each career book yet to be announced).

I think Warde's Foresight could have useful applications in pretty much any game... My players would love the versatility of it.

I get the plant one, but I also just think of growing plants as narrative fluff for Bind. What other sort of environmental effects would you want to see?

Also, is there some precedence for the tech powers that keep getting mentioned? I realize Anakin and Rey are gifted mechanics and all, but I think some ranks in Artisan or Armorer will cover most things like that...

Using the Force to replace your vision

Using the force to communicate across vast distances

Using the Force to control machines

Force Storms

Using the force to see past events

Using the force to avoid environmental effects

Using the force to control your body (sustaining your body without eating, hibernation, surviving without breathing, etc)

Using the force to control your body (sustaining your body without eating, hibernation, surviving without breathing, etc)

In part, this can be accomplished with Enhance applied to Resilience (through a Control Upgrade), but I agree that it's not really a perfect fit.

Heal covers it just fine. Basically any time you would take damage because of a failed Resilience check you use Heal to negate that damage. Protect would work too.

Edited by FuriousGreg

I don't think we need any more Powers.  Rituals could be interesting, we see a bit of it in TCW with the Witches and the Sith.  I'm not sure the witch's use of "magic" really qualifies as Force wielding, they sort of make a point about that in TCW.  But there's clearly some old-school transmutation, transformation, divination, and sympathetic magic going on.

I wouldn't mind a treatment on Meditation.  Yoda seems to often "meditate" to find answers.  Maybe this is already covered by Foresee...

Keep in mind, they've already shown they may introduce completely new things, as with Suppress*.

And no, it doesn't work like Sever Force.

As I remember from KOTOR 2 (spoilers  :P ) the whole Sever Force thing was a fake ritual and was really the protagonist unconsciously cutting themselves off from the Force, or at least believing it to be so.

Really? When the exile was exiled there was no mention of a Force Sever; she basically had to yield her lightsaber and willingly forfitted her own connection. Just I think they only decided to attempt to cut her off when she became a "hole" in the force (an attempt that was intercepted.)

I don't think we need any more Powers.  Rituals could be interesting, we see a bit of it in TCW with the Witches and the Sith.  I'm not sure the witch's use of "magic" really qualifies as Force wielding, they sort of make a point about that in TCW.  But there's clearly some old-school transmutation, transformation, divination, and sympathetic magic going on.

I wouldn't mind a treatment on Meditation.  Yoda seems to often "meditate" to find answers.  Maybe this is already covered by Foresee...

Rutuals may be in the Mystic book, and meditation in the Consular one.