Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Khyros

K Wing Bomber 101

22 posts in this topic

I have been asked for a bit more detail regarding how I played Miranda, especially around how to optimize bomb drops.  So in the same style of my Psycho Tycho write up last year, I’ll walk through some simple things regarding bomb drops, pictures included.  To start with, we’ll discuss the out of rock combat.  Specifically, dropping a Conner’s Net on a higher PS player (though it can also be used for a player who has already activated and ended in that spot).

If your opponent is within range and for the most part in front of you, you can get a bomb.  A 3 straight followed by a 3 bank slam will get any ship.  Whatever maneuver he does, the template will hit the Net.

0_zps5amumdrg.png

If the player is slightly off center, then you can modify the strategy slightly and play a bit more risky with the edge.  For example, if the opponent is just in range, but off centered by range 1, you can almost guarantee a bombing.  To pull this off, you want to be greater than range 2 from the edge (but not much more than that) in order to have enough clearance to not fly off the edge.  A 3 bank towards the edge followed by a straight 3 will trap the opponent from everything except a 1 turn.  

1_zps59kzpmte.png

Finally, the last opening round drop examples, if your opponent is just in your arc, a 3 bank towards and then again will guarantee a drop.  But all too often you’ll find that a rock will be in your way to complete this move.  In this case you can substitute the maneuver with a 3 bank left followed by a 3 bank right.  This will technically leave your opponent open to doing a right turn to avoid the Net.  However, that move will land the opponent on a rock.  

2_zpslnwaj08o.png

Edited by Khyros

But most of the game isn’t done at range 3 in open space.  I like to use the 3 big rocks since it reduces the space in the field, which means that the bombs fill more of the space.  And I’ve also found that the high agility low health ships also tend to use large rocks since they’re mobile.  As such our example asteroid field will be done with 6 big rocks.  So, for starters, utilize your turret!  If your opponent chases you, you can just drop a seismic, and if they run away, then you can get a free shot.  Win win!  As for the Conner’s Net, playing ring-around-a-rosy works great to circle around a rock and drop a mine right on your unsuspecting victim.

3_zpspmo7tn3v.png

But your opponent doesn’t have to be on the other side of the rock.  By setting up the rock field such that they’re mostly at R1.5 from each other, you can get him pretty much anywhere.  Below is a spread showing the opponent approaching at R1 from everywhere in front of the K wing.  It doesn’t really matter where the opponent is, he can get bombed!  Here are four examples (paired by colored dot) showing how you can get in position to drop a Conner’s Net on poor Soontir.

4_zpsxhxhtduq.png

Finally, when the opponent gets in close, it becomes easier to visualize how to drop the bomb.  Not much to say about the R1 exchanges.  

5_zpscrh8faj9.png

When it’s a direct lineup, it can be difficult to execute a straight maneuver fast enough to not hit a rock behind the Interceptor.  Instead – use a turn.

6_zpspqusxkxi.png

Lastly… If the opponent has run into you, kiss 2 health good bye.  It doesn’t matter which angle the ship is relative to you, you can get a bomb on him.  From the side, you can do any 1 speed maneuver to get the guy, though the bank towards him does leave a small sliver of room for him to turn right and escape (depending on where on the K wing’s base he hit).  

7_zpshx74sc6x.png

Any collision where the interceptor is behind you is easy to show that even a simple 1 straight will drop the Conner’s Net on him.  As for in front of you, you can once again do the two turn, or 2/3 straight and drop it behind you.  As for an angled collision, 1 or 2 speed bank away will get your opponent, along with a 1 or 2 straight, or a 1 bank towards your opponent.

8_zpsmet7bpa3.png

Obviously this is just a handful of scenarios, and once you start getting additional ships involved it can become more difficult to execute these maneuvers since both need to be cleared for the bomb to drop.  But I hope that this quick write up helps illustrate the extreme versatility that the K wing bomber brings to the table.   

Edited by Khyros

thanks, good post, but I think a couple of the examples are wrong if you're using advanced SLAM because you cannot take the action if you overlapped a ship. it would work with EI though. I'm referring to the pink and cyan in the 2nd graph of your 2nd post

Edited by XBear

Pink and Cyan are still legal with advanced SLAM because there was no bump, it doesn't matter if the template touched another ship. Wardens with Advanced SLAM and Sabine are one of the funnest ships to fly in the game, and really neuter aces. Omega Ace will die after 2 Sabine-enhanced Connor nets. PS2 and SLAM also helps against U boats because you have a lethal blocker that adds extra control and action denial.

much as I love the aSLAM K, it just gets so ****** by scouts :(

I highly disagree.  If you take a warden, the PS2 moves first and you can cause massive bumpage (or force them to turn away so they don't have primary arc), denying their opening round salvo.  Furthermore the Conner's net denies their actions, so you can prevent shots like that.  Finally, big base ships hate the double ions - especially when you can chain them two in a row.  It DRASTICALLY reduces the exterior of the map that they can use, and all too often lands them on a rock if they get netted through the rocks.  

I'm not saying a single K wing can solo a JM15K list, but it's far from a liability in the match up.

Edit:  And if you take Miranda, you can slam to get out of arc of one, out of range of another, and drop a net for the next turn.  You can cause serious havoc with her as well.  Plus then you're in position to drop a seismic the following turn since they're not that fast.  And if they waste their action barrel rolling to potentially avoid the seismic, that's one more round that they're not doing anything but shooting with a 2 die unmodified primary.

Edited by Khyros
Scopes and Evenflow30 like this

much as I love the aSLAM K, it just gets so ****** by scouts :(

I highly disagree.  If you take a warden, the PS2 moves first and you can cause massive bumpage (or force them to turn away so they don't have primary arc), denying their opening round salvo.  Furthermore the Conner's net denies their actions, so you can prevent shots like that.  Finally, big base ships hate the double ions - especially when you can chain them two in a row.  It DRASTICALLY reduces the exterior of the map that they can use, and all too often lands them on a rock if they get netted through the rocks.  

I'm not saying a single K wing can solo a JM15K list, but it's far from a liability in the match up.

Edit:  And if you take Miranda, you can slam to get out of arc of one, out of range of another, and drop a net for the next turn.  You can cause serious havoc with her as well.  Plus then you're in position to drop a seismic the following turn since they're not that fast.  And if they waste their action barrel rolling to potentially avoid the seismic, that's one more round that they're not doing anything but shooting with a 2 die unmodified primary.

the Warden definitely cannot solo even a single jumpmaster

their statlines are identical, except the scout gets 1 more agility

and while conners are useful, you're still looking into the 30s for an ASLAM bomb-bearing warden to do the same job as a prototype pilot for over double the cost

the scout match-up is horrendous for the warden K, though it does incredibly v imperial aces

Yes, the opening round provides the same job.  However then you get to do at least 2 damage the next turn via bombs, and depending on the maneuvers, more often than not another 2 the following turn.  My Miranda soloed a Dengar JM5K just taking 1 shot.  The 1 forward can force a collision where the A wing can't. These are all things that the 15 point prototype can't do.  And I'll take you up on that challenge of a 1 on 1 match up - agility means nothing when you auto damage via bombs.

kris40k and Scopes like this

Love this. I am flying dual Ks this weekend at my Regional. 

So much fun to fly these ships. 

Miranda + Warden has been my go-to list for the past 6 months. It's mentally draining to fly (more so to fly against), but incredibly fun. Enjoy your opponent's fear.

Scopes likes this

Thank you for sharing your K-wing bomber knowlege. I'm really impressed.. may have to add another K-wing to my own builds. Add Sabine on to get some splash damage to those conner nets.

i ran Miranda with ion bombs and conners last night. pretty much walked a Palp Deci off the board (ion bombs then 2 conner nets) with Sabine dealing splash damage to the inquisitor that was next to him (inquisitor was ioned for 4 turns in a row, Deci for 3) One ion bomb got my ghost, opponents Ryad, Inquisitor, Whisper (cloaked) and Decimator with Vessery being just out of range 1. (we where playing a 200 pt matchup). 

i do need a second K wing as they are great fun to fly and can mix it with Miranda regen and warden squad.

great write up though, really interesting.

Scopes likes this

Love this. I am flying dual Ks this weekend at my Regional. 

So much fun to fly these ships. 

Miranda + Warden has been my go-to list for the past 6 months. It's mentally draining to fly (more so to fly against), but incredibly fun. Enjoy your opponent's fear.

Same here all around.  Amazing to meet people who are doing the same thing as you. :) 

Scopes likes this

Well written. I tend to prefer three Wardens to Miranda and one Warden. :)

Haha, and in today's meta I agree.  I wrote this how-to back in W8 when I was fascinated with Kanan/Miranda.  Now the triple K sounds like oh-so-much more fun in all honesty.  With the biggest change being that x7 defenders require 3+ bombs to kill, and they've taken Fel/Inq out of the meta, so more bombs are needed :).  

Truth. Big thanks to both you guys. Yesterday I climbed my way to top 4 at the Toronto Regional with Sable Gryphon 's Galaxy Note 7 list. A couple of the games were brodcast on the live stream. My biggest problem of the day were slippery Dash lists that were hard to set up a run on. Not complaining, but when those Wardens run out of bombs the list really runs out of gas. Still I did catch a few opponents unaware at the mighty power of bomb. Again big thanks, I've been waiting since Wave 2 to play a decent bomb based list.

Truth. Big thanks to both you guys. Yesterday I climbed my way to top 4 at the Toronto Regional with Sable Gryphon 's Galaxy Note 7 list. A couple of the games were brodcast on the live stream. My biggest problem of the day were slippery Dash lists that were hard to set up a run on. Not complaining, but when those Wardens run out of bombs the list really runs out of gas. Still I did catch a few opponents unaware at the mighty power of bomb. Again big thanks, I've been waiting since Wave 2 to play a decent bomb based list.

Congrats, Don. Glad you met with success!

I didn't fare quite as well with bombs yesterday... I discovered match 1 that I hadn't packed my extra munitions cards and played the rest of the day with a four point bid.

RoockieBoy and R5Don4 like this