Sign in to follow this  
xanderf

So this 'whole new model' business....wot?

FFG made a point in today's announcement article that the new Falcon model is NOT just the same model with a new sensor dish, but a whole 'new sculpt and paint scheme'.

I'm sorry, but I gotta call shens on that?

Old model:

millennium-falcon.png

Millenium-Falcon.jpg

Render of new model:

swx57_falcon_plastic_left.png

...I see...a new sensor dish.

That's it.  What else am I missing?

It's a 3D model, so, I'm not sure?

http://www.gunjap.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/DSC_0626_zps6x61oybs.jpgoriginal.jpg

The new model might look something more along the lines of that... you know, once it's a physical model.

Also you overlooked that there's obviously a compressor on the new one.

Of course! The Compressor! LOL!  ;)  :P

I really don't see how there could be a whole new sculpt.... It's the same ship except for the dish!  :rolleyes:

I hope that this is not FFG's first step into the blatant money grab game!  :(  :angry:

The underside might be different as well- maybe the quad laser turret down there is locked in position because of Finn? I guess we'll see when the preview comes out, there is usually a 3D shot of the ship there.

I really don't see how there could be a whole new sculpt.... It's the same ship except for the dish!  :rolleyes:

I hope that this is not FFG's first step into the blatant money grab game!  :(  :angry:

They made many steps before. Imperial Assault being the key one.

but yeah, gotta call shenanigans on that.

Edited by Toenail

You mean colored bases and plastic dial upgrades are not money grabs?

I don't know about the dial upgrades, but the bases are something needed. Most miniature games have extra bases for sale, and given how a couple of mine have broken due to a toddler terrorist, needed.

it's a lot more different ito model than the imperial ace interceptors are to the normal ones

ditto any ships that come in the ace style expansions re their normal counterparts. they just come with distinct new paint schemes

Well, aside from:

1) FFG specifically said it's a new model

2) I don't see any differences in the paint scheme, either (which really can make a huge difference)

it's a lot more different ito model than the imperial ace interceptors are to the normal ones

ditto any ships that come in the ace style expansions re their normal counterparts. they just come with distinct new paint schemes

And see, all these new models for small differences is really pissing me off.

Why?

The Royal Guard TIE Interceptor was not done justice, that's why.

Why?

most of those poor interceptors were not done justice :(

Unless it looks drastically different, it doesn't justify a new model. That CG render isn't really anything to go by. I imagine the final paint job will be attempting to give it that junkyard craft look it had in the movie, rather than the dodgy-but-serviceable look it had in the originals. 

That said, a new paintjob still doesn't justify a whole new model expansion any more than the same ship with cosmetic differences so minute that side-by-side pictures are having trouble highlighting them justifies a whole new mold.

FFG made a point in today's announcement article that the new Falcon model is NOT just the same model with a new sensor dish, but a whole 'new sculpt and paint scheme'.

I'm sorry, but I gotta call shens on that?

...I see...a new sensor dish.

That's it.  What else am I missing?

There are differences... grab your round-dish YT-1300 and compare these spots:

swx57_falcon_plastic_left_zpshlppc9wi.pn

Will it matter to most people that there are differences beyond the radar dish? Probably not.

Did FFG really need to go to all the trouble to make another YT-1300 model with tiny differences in detail rather than slap a new paint job/dish on the old model and call it a day? Certainly not.

Did FFG really need to make another T-70 model with a different droid as well as a repaint. No.

But they did.

Yes they are a company and have to make money to stay in business, and yes they are at the mercy of what new and/old ships are introduced in the movies - they may even be contractually obliged to release them in an Episode VII format ... but rather than slap together a repaint of two existing models with a minor change (dish), they went to the effort and trouble to re-model them in keeping with the movie. 

Why? Because they are Star Wars fans.

Why?

most of those poor interceptors were not done justice :(

When the Royal Guard Squints show up in a movie then you can gripe all you want.

I don't know about the dial upgrades, but the bases are something needed. Most miniature games have extra bases for sale, and given how a couple of mine have broken due to a toddler terrorist, needed.

Basses and pegs are fine IMHO because they are, in the case of the dials, unique, and the pegs add variety and can be used as replacement parts.

I take issue with "re-releasing" a model that everyone has already (The Falcon) and saying that it is different. The Emperor's new clothes story pops into mind ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes).

I do really like the idea of the new pilots and cards that come in the expansion and I am excited to see them, but feel that something a little more like the Scum & Villany Most Wanted expansion would have been a better approach (small ships and lots of cards) as opposed to forcing everyone into having two falcons. 

I suppose it is tough to say at the moment, considering that what we are seeing is a computer rendering which may not translate exactly to the real model.

I imagine that the new model will be a sharper sculpt with a generally better details and paint job, much like the tie vs tie fo.