Sign in to follow this  
PhantomFO

HEROES OF THE RESISTANCE!

and quibbling over one point of pilot skill based on a throwaway, oft-misquoted line from the film seems daft.

Actually, I'm fairly sure it's quibbling over one point of pilot skill based on this.

the irony is that he could've done that at PS 8 or 9 just the same

probably could've done it at 6, considering none of the FO generics go above 4

honestly, the whole Poe 8/9 is completely pointless. His PS 8 version is more economical and will see more play than his PS 9 (if any, considering scouts will just wreck his **** either way)

it's mostly just pointless fluff they threw in a fluffy expac; the only real disappointment is they treated him as a legitimate spoiler instead of the far more potentially interesting pilots available in Res. Heroes. Hell, even the old/new yt-1300 pilots are more interesting because they're promised different abilities

Edited by ficklegreendice

the irony is that he could've done that at PS 8 or 9 just the same

probably could've done it at 6, considering none of the FO generics go above 4

Never seen any of the other PS9s pull that off. The nearest we get is Vader in Siege of Lothal. How many fighters have the other PS9s taken out in 16 seconds, huh?

No, this doesn't count.

f7b08c145c725105f19bb1cb41c0f6ee.gif

I got a question...

Because again, including Poe's T-70 in the pack without Poe was a nonstarter... It just wouldn't happen.

Would people be happier if he was still PS8???

Whatever else I have said about this set, I have no issues with a PS9 Poe. One of the best parts of TFA.

I'll confess to being a little disappointed by this expansion, because I believe it sets a dangerous, confusing precedent by having multiple cards of the same type and with the same name, yet different effects.

The only thing dangerous and confusing around here are all the posts bemoaning this release.

We were always going to get a new Falcon with rectangular dish and Rey pilot card. Even though a lot of people don't want to go purchase another Falcon because they already had one there are tons and tons of people from casual players, to competitive players, to collectors that not only were willing to buy it but begging for it.

We were always going to get a FFG official repain of Poe's X-Wing with the same spectrum of people begging for it.

There is MASSIVE demand!!!!

For everyone that wants to complain about having to pay so much for the game you have the right to stop purchasing and just use what you already have. This is not a cash grab. FFG is not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy their products.

And if things are getting too confusing then go play Monopoly. This is a tabletop miniatures game not a children's board game.

This forum has absolutely bottomed out. The amount of complaining that goes on around here has reached ridiculous levels. Why would people continue to play this game if things are so horrible?

Sorry that I'm singling you out. You are just one of the most recent in a very very long list of people griping about what should be one of the most obvious and anticipated releases. A release, I might add, that has lots of cool stuff.

The Millenium Falcon is THE SHIP that most represents Star Wars to people. 

With all the great card upgrades will end up buying 2 of the HOTR for sure.  Might try to get up to 3 of the T70 for the great paint jobs. 

Seems unlikely. There are 4 cards that it could be. 2 of them are likely EPTs for everyone. 

Besides, we know Rogue One is coming out. We know there are X-wings in that movie (even cool repaint options). So, patience is needed. 

With all the great card upgrades will end up buying 2 of the HOTR for sure.  Might try to get up to 3 of the T70 for the great paint jobs.

You sure? It strikes me as built as a very singular expansion.

Besides, we know Rogue One is coming out. We know there are X-wings in that movie (even cool repaint options). So, patience is needed.

Which has a black T-65 and an as of yet unseen new TIE model.

Edited by Blue Five

Would people be happier if he was still PS8???

Kinda, yeah.  Because it breaks their previous precedents.

I would have preferred if they'd added a new Elite upgrade instead.

One Hell of a Pilot

Poe Dameron only.

Increase your pilot skill value by 1.  Your upgrade bar gains 1 Elite upgrade icon.

2 points.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Kinda, yeah.  Because it breaks their previous precedents.

I would have preferred if they'd added a Poe-only Elite upgrade that increases his PS by 1, and gives him an additional Elite slot, for 2 points.

You mean do exactly the same thing in a clunky, ugly and inelegant manner?

I think it's a smart move by FFG, you can buy the TFA core and now the Heroes of the Resistance and mostly recreate any scene from the movie. Maybe pick up a couple of TIE/fo packs and a single T-70 for completion, and BAM you've got a solid little X-Wing collection going, simply because you liked the new movie.

It's going to bring a ton of new players in and I'm very excited about that.

My girlfriend and I are two of those new players. After getting sucked into Imperial Assault, we both wanted to try the space battling miniature games from FFL - She wanted X Wing and I wanted Armada, so both are in transit. Galactic Civil War for Armada and all TFA-onwards for X Wing.

First post on this site:

Personally, I'm very excited to see these two ships get released as a bundled expansion. I just purchased the TFA Core Set (hopefully it arrives today), and I've been really torn as to how I could expand upon the three starter ships. The thought of mixing time periods by using ships from the Galactic Civil War with those during the rise of the First Order literally irks me and is wholly out of the question.

I'll happily add Black One and the era-correct Millennium Falcon to my roster, but what would veteran players suggest for the First Order roster? 4 more TIE/fos? Or is the dream of an era-correct TFA game not really feasible without added First Order ships?

Buying two of the TIE/fo expansion packs gives you some ASTONISHINGLY good cards to enhance the First Order's playability at this stage of the game's development. You can field a competitive 4-ship TIE/fo build (see my signature for a link to what I used at a recent event) using named pilots for 100 points, and have a good time competing against a Falcon and one or two T-70's at 100 points.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll pick up the two TIE/fos and a T-70 while we wait for this expansion to release.

Have they announced the TIE/SF yet? Surely, that has to be coming too.

Problem: I already own a Falcon and a repainted Black One. :(

Solution: Desktop one Falcon and sell the repaint! :)

Would I have been happier with Rebel Veterans first? Yes. Am I unhappy with this box? Nope. Will I ever likely find the points in my lists for PS 9 Poe? Probably not. It's too easy to give him Adaptability or VI and still be cheaper.

Who exactly is going to get confused? The person using the ship or the other guy? If the person using it gets confused that's completely on them and frankly anyone who gets confused about what title they put on their ship... Well they likely shouldn't be playing the game anyway if that's the case.

If the other guy gets confused. So what? They're not the one flying it so that simply doesn't matter. All in all your argument makes little sense.

You don't think that having two different yet identically named title cards, two Han pilot cards and two Chewbacca pilot cards all for the same ship is going to create any confusion? Particularly among newer players who might not have pre-existing knowledge of the older versions?

And I'd say your opponent being clear on what your ships do is very important, so yes, it does matter.

For the final time, because at this point anyone who doesn't get this just isn't bothering to read the rest of the thread. To include Poe's signature X-Wing without Poe would've been a marketing blunder.

Yes, but I do not see the need to make a change to his pilot skill as a result. Include an alternate art version of Poe depicting the 'Black One', sure, but changing the pilot skill seems needless since he functioned perfectly well at 8. Alternatively, they could have given him a new pilot ability, as they have with Han and Chewbacca, to make the choice between the versions more prominent.

From a personal standpoint, I don't see Poe as being equivalent to Vader or Han (at his best, anyway) in piloting ability, but that's less relevant.

And you'd be wrong. 2 points for 1 point of PS is meaningful enough that you will have a real choice between the two.

I remain unconvinced of that. PS9 Poe will either be too points inefficient compared with the original, or the PS bump combined with PTL and BB-8 will render the old one obsolete. I'm not in a position to claim either as the likely outcome, but I feel like the more mathematically-minded will come up with the answer.

You may want to go and read the article again, since they never actually said that.

"First of all, you might notice the ship's new, rectangular sensor array. While this is likely the first change you may notice in the difference between the sculpts, it is not the only one"

Opening line of the second paragraph under 'Updating the Millenium Falcon'.

The only thing dangerous and confusing around here are all the posts bemoaning this release.

We were always going to get a new Falcon with rectangular dish and Rey pilot card. Even though a lot of people don't want to go purchase another Falcon because they already had one there are tons and tons of people from casual players, to competitive players, to collectors that not only were willing to buy it but begging for it.

We were always going to get a FFG official repain of Poe's X-Wing with the same spectrum of people begging for it.

There is MASSIVE demand!!!!

So you see no problem with the potential for more 'updated' versions of the same pilots in the same ships, yet would categorise any criticism of the set as dangerous?

I'm not sure anyone was 'begging' for a square-dished Falcon model - new pilots for it, such as Rey (who was indeed an inevitable addition), are great and could easily have been included in a set the same way that Most Wanted included cards for ships that were not in the box. Poe's ship, as I mention above, was always likely to happen but again, I'm not sure anyone was 'begging' for it, since a lot of people who wanted one probably already painted their own.

For everyone that wants to complain about having to pay so much for the game you have the right to stop purchasing and just use what you already have. This is not a cash grab. FFG is not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy their products.

And if things are getting too confusing then go play Monopoly. This is a tabletop miniatures game not a children's board game.

You'll notice that I did not once mention the price of the set, went out of my way to say that I didn't think it was a cash grab or similar, and that I will probably still buy it.

The jab at my intelligence really isn't warranted. I maintain that from a design standpoint, having pilots and upgrades with identical names yet different effects can create confusion among players, and has entirely nothing to do with their intelligence or the 'level' of the game.

This forum has absolutely bottomed out. The amount of complaining that goes on around here has reached ridiculous levels. Why would people continue to play this game if things are so horrible?

Sorry that I'm singling you out. You are just one of the most recent in a very very long list of people griping about what should be one of the most obvious and anticipated releases. A release, I might add, that has lots of cool stuff.

There are a lot of hollow complaints and hyperbolic responses on this forum, like any other internet forum. That doesn't mean you can lump all complaints and criticisms together as 'hating', 'whining', or whatever other blanket term you'd use. I for one love the game, and I post my concerns because I want it to continue to succeed.

I believe I was level-headed and reasonable in my original assessment, and again you should note that I said new pilots for the T-70 and YT-1300, as well as the host of new upgrades (the ones we know and the many more we don't), are definite positive elements of the set, and that my overall impression was 'underwhelmed', not 'brimming with hate, FFG are dead to me for this cash grab'.

However anticipated or expected this release is, I think it is perfectly fair to call out the flaws with it as well as identify the positives, which is all I have done.

Edited by MalusCalibur

Will I ever likely find the points in my lists for PS 9 Poe? Probably not. It's too easy to give him Adaptability or VI and still be cheaper.

All depends on the list.  It's basically PS9 poe for 31 points with no EPT, PS10 at 31 points with no EPT, or PS9 for 33 points with an EPT slot.  More expensive, but more options.

Not the expansion I was expecting or hoping for, but I'm actually looking quite forward to this.

The introduction of different text on the same Unique-named cards is interesting, though I'm not sure what applications we could see in the future. The Falcon title I much prefer to adding an evade, seems a bit more thematic, especially in a new trilogy-era release. 

Rey's pilot ability is sweet, and is the first time I've really wanted to fly the YT-1300, outside of Lando shenanigans in Epic. It's also a continuation of FFG releasing turrets that want ships in their arc (much like Dengar) instead of just relying on defenders'out-of-arc abilities to encourage such flying. And her artwork is sweet, my favourite YT-1300 art (sorry Lando).

Poe Dameron at PS9 is right thematically, but I'm not sure how much play he'll see compared to his PS8 card, with the 2-point increase for a PS increase of 1. The Black One title, BB-8 and PTL on new-Poe sounds quite good fun, though.

With all of this said, there's still a lot to see before fully passing judgement on this expansion. New droids, new crew, the other T-70 pilots, Han and Chewie's apparently new abilities, a YT-1300 generic that might actually see use...

And I never would've trusted myself to mod the Falcon's sensor dish, or scult BB-8 into the T-70. 

As of right now, I'm quite looking forward to this expansion, it looks more interesting than I thought a Falcon-and-T-70 pack would be.

You don't think that having two different yet identically named title cards, two Han pilot cards and two Chewbacca pilot cards all for the same ship is going to create any confusion?

No I think there's zero chance of the person playing those ships from getting confused. Unless they're nearly braindead... For the other player, there's no more confusion inherent in this then there is when playing a list of 2+ named interceptors or any other ship.

Particularly among newer players who might not have pre-existing knowledge of the older versions? And I'd say your opponent being clear on what your ships do is very important, so yes, it does matter.

What does that have to do with it? The cards are there on the table, in plain view. Exactly how much confusion can there be in that case? I mean seriously you're searching for a problem that simply does not exist.

Yes, but I do not see the need to make a change to his pilot skill as a result.

You're right there is no need. But there also isn't a compelling reason to not do so if FFG feels based on the movie he should of been a PS9 in the first place. Something a lot of people here have pointed out he should be.

"First of all, you might notice the ship's new, rectangular sensor array. While this is likely the first change you may notice in the difference between the sculpts, it is not the only one"

Opening line of the second paragraph under 'Updating the Millenium Falcon'.

Thank you for proving my point. They never said what you claimed they have.

What if the Snap Shot ability is something that helps all Xwings?

Either an EPT or Modification that is "Xwings or xwing pilots only".

With rules being along the lines of what a few people have suggested: where you reduce your Attack Dice by 1 but you make two shots or remove one evade from the enemy target. Something like stutter fire in the Rogue Squadron and later boo

What if the Snap Shot ability is something that helps all Xwings?

Either an EPT or Modification that is "Xwings or xwing pilots only".

With rules being along the lines of what a few people have suggested: where you reduce your Attack Dice by 1 but you make two shots or remove one evade from the enemy target. Something like stutter fire in the Rogue Squadron and later boo

To truly help the T-65. it's going to need to be a title I think. Integrated Astromech already covers the Mod slot, and putting an auto-include "fix" upgrade in the EPT slot would a)not fix the generics, and b) would severely limit them in list building. "Alright, now that I have the auto include EPT and auto include Mod, lets look at astromechs... Okay! We're done!"