Sign in to follow this  
Caboose2900

Checking Range with a Target Lock

Simple question/opinion poll. Do you think it is cheeky to check your range to a target that is obviously range 1-2 of you when acquiring a lock, just so you can use that info to help decide if you want to boost/barrel roll closer/farther?

The reason I ask is because I have been flying Tel Trevura with K-4 Security Droid recently, and I've been checking my range to targets when I get the free TL that are obviously in range. I like having the precise info, even though I can usually guess well enough. It helps knowing how far the range band is when deciding if I want to roll though.

Basically, am I a cheeky SOB?

No there's nothing wrong with it IMO. If you like you can think of it as being keeping with the lore, in that those ships have advanced targeting system which give them accurate range information.

Technically you're supposed to check for range any time you take the TL action, the only 'trick' is that if you check you have to take the TL if able.

No there's nothing wrong with it IMO. If you like you can think of it as being keeping with the lore, in that those ships have advanced targeting system which give them accurate range information.Technically you're supposed to check for range any time you take the TL action, the only 'trick' is that if you check you have to take the TL if able.

Good thing my TL is a free one, so I don't lose anything if I can't use it. Man I love K4 with Unhinged.

In a friendly game, I would suggest that you don't.  Force yourself to estimate and live with the results.  Learn more that way.

In a tourney, rules specifically say that you are allowed to measure range when acquiring a target lock so you are fine so long as you only measure directly from attacker to defender and don't get sneaky about getting some other range info in the process.

I would speak up if you are marking and moving ships to get super specific info at this step as well.  For example, a ship at range 1.00001 or 0.9999999 and you are getting a TL.  I'm not waiting for 2 minutes while you measure uber-precisely while acquiring the TL.

Also note that the example on page 11 of the rules says that when acquiring a target lock, you may first measure the full 360-degree field around your ship to determine which enemies are within range 1-3. That is step 1 of the action, so it bears to reason that you are allowed to see how far each enemy ship is from you.

You can't measure arcs, but distance is explicitly allowed in case you're trying to determine how many turrets will have a shot at you.

Also note that the example on page 11 of the rules says that when acquiring a target lock, you may first measure the full 360-degree field around your ship to determine which enemies are within range 1-3. That is step 1 of the action, so it bears to reason that you are allowed to see how far each enemy ship is from you.

You can't measure arcs, but distance is explicitly allowed in case you're trying to determine how many turrets will have a shot at you.

What form of the rules are you reading? Nothing in the rules reference I can see under 'acquire a target lock' remotely suggests this is legal.

That must be in the "casual" rules because tournament rules are you can only pick one target and then check range on that.  Attacks work the same way I in tournaments as well I believe.

What form of the rules are you reading? Nothing in the rules reference I can see under 'acquire a target lock' remotely suggests this is legal.

He's referring to the diagram in the Rules of Play book that shows an example of acquiring a target lock and notes the player measures 360 to see what ships are In range.

This is not correct, as the FAQ dictates that you must first declare a ship for the intended target lock and then measure only to that ship.

Edited by USCGrad90

While legal, I find it borderline cheating when people check for TL's that are clearly out of range simply to get an idea of distance, usually to a ship in between them.

Super Dash is the worst offender because of the donut hole. Its even easier to abuse on vassal. I rage quit on a player who kept doing that with his Super Dash.

Edited by markcsoul

What he's talking about is the old rules. It actually had a picture of a range ruler sweeping around the ship forming a full circle.

Under the old standard rules, you could check a TL for any ship on the board, because you weren't forced to take the TL if you could.

Wasn't part of the FAQ for TL that if the ship was so far out of range that it wasn't even close to R3 that you in fact couldn't measure to that ship?  I will say that's it's been a while since I looked and I very well could have been hallucinating.

What he's talking about is the old rules. It actually had a picture of a range ruler sweeping around the ship forming a full circle.

Under the old standard rules, you could check a TL for any ship on the board, because you weren't forced to take the TL if you could.

Actually - this is still in the current "Learn to Play" rules on the FFG website.

Actually - this is still in the current "Learn to Play" rules on the FFG website.

Yep. I had pulled up the PDF of that on my phone before making my post. The text reads:

1. The Resistance player measures 360 degrees around Blue Squadron Novice's ship to see which enemy ships are at Range 1-3.

As it's the more recent document, the FAQ trumps the Learn to Play book, so I'm fine being wrong on this.

Wasn't part of the FAQ for TL that if the ship was so far out of range that it wasn't even close to R3 that you in fact couldn't measure to that ship?

No it's never been in any FAQ that I remember reading.

I wonder how different the game would be if you had to declare your action and if it turned out you couldn't do it, oh well, nice try, no action for you.

Much, much worse. That was always one of the worse parts of 40k.