Sign in to follow this  
droz69

How does Targeting Astromech and Hobbie work?

Experts - correct me if I'm wrong - but the timing is... Hobbie does the K turn - the targeting astro provides the target lock - Hobbie gets stress. In combat phase Hobbie spends the target lock and loses the stress. I believe it's this way because the astromech would be timed at completion of the maneuver, and not post stress phase.

Edit: Before I collect too many likes on this post - my solution is incorrect. Corrected formula provided below which mathematically disproves the above statement.

Edited by LagJanson

Ok, thanks guys.  I think because theres only 1 red maneuver, he's still better with R2-D6 and Push the Limit.  It does make for some really fun 4K maneuvering, almost giving him the same ability at the Defenders 4K.

Yep. I was wrong. Rule book shows that check pilot stress is part of the maneuver phase before clean up, but the whole process is considered "executing" the maneuver. That means Krewal was the first with the correct answer. Wish he put the 'why' in so I didn't have to go read for myself. I wanted to be lazy.

Yeah, basically you can k turn and then TL and focus. It's pretty sweet, but the sheer predictability of it makes it easy to counter. He'd be downright dangerous with either a boost or an EpT slot. Boost is so expensive though and takes up your IA slot, and sadly no EpT to pimp him out with.

I took him to a tournament in Jan and nobody knew about this combination in the area at the time, the look on peoples faces as I did it was priceless! Won the tournament from 30 players and Hobbie was my only pilot to survive every game. Best 27 points in the game for me.

On that same note, R5-K6 seems to work smashingly well with Dutch Vander too.  

Theoretically, yes.  However, you are still relying on rolling an evade.  At least Hobbie + TA works every time he does a red move.  Only problem is he only has that single red move.  An EPT slot - so you could give him SoT - would make him even more viable.  Fingers crossed for an eventual 'T-65 Fix' that does just that!